Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Isotruss bike

944 views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  TheSherpa 
#1 ·
Students up at BYU have come up with this new design. It was on the news here in utah but I thought i would spread the joy around! They have allready made a hardtail frame that weighs under 3 pounds and can take a beating! According to the news a major bike manufactuer is planning production of this new design. Sadly they diddnt say what manufactuer! Take a look at this website and some of the short videos. It has a short video of a guy jumping off maybe a 8 set of stairs to flat and the bike has no problmes. And all of that good stuff under 3 lbs!

http://www.isotruss.org/bike.htm

http://www.cyclingnews.com/shows04.php?id=tech/2004/shows/interbike/isotruss

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
Curiousity

I am interested to see where that design goes. Seems like it could be taken in some interesting directions.

I am most curious to find out exactly how strong it is.

Oh, and TheSherpa, I'm not Mormon but why don't you keep your religious feelings either to yourself or in the politico/religious forums.

#11 ·
The frame is supposed to be super strong! According to our utah news(not always reliable) it is supposed to be stronger then steel and lighter then carbon fiber. The first link i gave shows a modest sized guy (probably arounds 160) going off a big drop to flat and also bunny hopping pretty high. Freeriderfraser if it is stronger then steel i doubt you could break it. And technohippybiker thanks for shutting down on the sherpa, as you probably guessed since i am from utah i am mormon. anyways if you think about it, if you wanted a xc bike, put all xtr components and a sid on it and you could have a under 15 pound bike or even less! Plus think what they could do if made a full suspension frame

#15 ·
TheSherpa said:
Too bad Mormons built it.

-TS
Glad I didn't have to say it.

As for the design, looks pretty interesting. One problem though, what happens if one of the truss members happens to get bent? My guess is that the frame is only strong when it's undamaged, and when you do damage it, it will fall apart. IMO

#17 ·
bikemansam said:
I guess you can sheath the tubes or not sheath them all depending on where you are riding, and as far as the aerodynamic drag it is supposed to be better then with normal tubes, plus i dont think aerodynamic drag matters too much on bikes
Perforated surfaces normally create more drag than solid ones. Aerodynamic drag is a significant factor on any vehicle once you get past 15mph or so. There are certainly more prominent efficiency-related factors on a mountain bike though.

#19 ·
bikemansam said:
The frame is supposed to be super strong! According to our utah news(not always reliable) it is supposed to be stronger then steel and lighter then carbon fiber. The first link i gave shows a modest sized guy (probably arounds 160) going off a big drop to flat and also bunny hopping pretty high. Freeriderfraser if it is stronger then steel i doubt you could break it. And technohippybiker thanks for shutting down on the sherpa, as you probably guessed since i am from utah i am mormon. anyways if you think about it, if you wanted a xc bike, put all xtr components and a sid on it and you could have a under 15 pound bike or even less! Plus think what they could do if made a full suspension frame
Noone shut me down. Go drink some 3% AC beer and come back.

-TS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.