Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone running a Giant Faith 2x9/2x10?

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Oxygen1973 
#1 ·
Just curious if anyone has a newer model Giant Faith that they've made a 2x. If so, what crankset, derailleur, and shifters did you go with? What were the results (pedal-efficiency, weight, fitting issues)?

#2 ·
Your only issue will be getting the chainline set properly. That's pretty easy.
The Faith is gonna be heavy any way you cut it, so weight doesn't really have a lot of variables to apply to this discussion. If a few grams make a difference on a bike like that, then you're being a bit nit-picky. As long as you have your chainline set properly, which can be done with spacers, you will have a smooth-functioning 2x system.
Efficiency-wise, those bikes have a slack head angle, and a FR suspension set-up, so efficiency is what it is - padaling a pig up hill with less ability to make steep uphill sharp turns than an XC bike. The front wheel will come off of the ground more while climbing steep stuff too.
My buddy runs a Hammerschmidt up front with 9 speed rear on his new Faith, and he does just fine. We all (our riding crew) climb our heavy freeride bikes uphill with doubles on the front. They are heavy and lack the agility through steep/techy/turny climbs, but we still do it with no complaints. I run a double crankset on my older Giant Glory and climb just fine. Like I said, the gears are easy to add to the bike, but you'll still be climbing on a less agile pig. We don't care, we just climb on them anyway, because we want to hit freeride stunts and such on trails that we can't shuttle to. You may want to add a double ring chainguide to this type of set-up.
I see that you have a Reign, so you should be fine with that when the Faith is just too much to bring along. Go ahead and do it, if you want to pedal to your freeride ares. It will work just fine.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm curious, what chainguides have you and your crew had luck with? My Reign X has a MRP 2x (and I even have an extra one), but it's just okay. I drop the chain inside every now and then, but the bashguard doesn't seem like it would protect the big ring in nasty stuff. What do you guys run?

#6 ·
I used to run the MRP on my Glory. I thought it was only ok, as well. The MRP dropped the chain often and was ridiculously expensive. Now I run a Blackspire Stinger. It is about 1/4 the cost, lets you run you aluminum bashgaurd and hs worked better for me. Still drops the chain on rare occassion, but still works well. My buddy has a Hammerschmidt on his Faith, so he doesn't need a chainguide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.