Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hardtail decision.

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  eurospek 
#1 ·
So, I've been thinking that I should be using a hardtail, possibly single speed, to help me with some of my riding and strengthening. My question is, for those of you who freeride, especially in the midwest were our runs are only a few minutes long, and maybe 1000' elevation (on a good hill), what kind of hardtails are you rocking?

I keep thinking about really ressurecting my old stumpjumper M2, but I'm not sure if its worth it to keep using a 13 y/o aluminum frame, especially with super steep geometry (HA is in the 70's I believe).

#2 ·
I've been riding a Yeti DJ for the last 5 years or so and absolutely loved that bike. I just retired it and got a Pivot Point (I work there so I was able to snag one of the early sample frames). I'm really loving the new bike, much more than I thought I would since I was so happy with the Yeti. It does have a super slammed top tube so seat extension is minimal but if you're doing SS climbs you don't get to sit down much anyway right? :p The bike is really meant to be a dirt jumper but I've been doing trail rides on those types of bikes for years. It really makes you ride more precise and can turn a so-so trail into a cool one.

#4 ·
yeah from what I've heard, chromag makes really good bikes. I'm looking at selling my cannondale trail 2 and getting the stylus (yeah big change i know)... sounds like the stylus is a good bike for just about anything (besides hardcore xc of course)

#7 ·
So, after some research I think that I've narrowed it down to a azonic steelhead or a Santa cruz chameleon. Both bike would most likely be built around an old mars 66 150mm fork that I have laying around. Anyone of these better than the other?

#9 ·
So, I've been thinking that I should be using a hardtail, possibly single speed, to help me with some of my riding and strengthening. My question is, for those of you who freeride, especially in the midwest were our runs are only a few minutes long, and maybe 1000' elevation (on a good hill), what kind of hardtails are you rocking?

I keep thinking about really ressurecting my old stumpjumper M2, but I'm not sure if its worth it to keep using a 13 y/o aluminum frame, especially with super steep geometry (HA is in the 70's I believe).
problem is...you can't put any new forks on it because headtube is too small on the older bikes

#10 ·
1 1/8 headtube, and right now I'm rebuilding the noodle of a fork that I have for it (2005 sid race). It just seems like I'd have way more options for forks if the frame was good to go with a 100mm fork, or I could slap one on and void my warranty.

#14 ·
Podunk SE Oklahoma and SW Arkansas have some hills that size. You can ride the jeep trails or try to find the locals who might know of some trails. Haven't been there on a bike but there are people who do it.

Sorry, Midwest was a poor geographic description, should have stuck with Little Dixie instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.