Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

East Coast DH / Relocation

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  deadatbirth 
#1 ·
I am relocating to the Watsontown Pa. area in Jan and I'm hoping someone can tell me there is awesome biking out there? We do everything from xc to dh although there is not much of that from the Chicago area where we are coming from. I am looking forward to some new scenery and would like to hit some DH races all over. I've done races in WV and VT, but usually we go west for biking trips. Also, anyone know of any mx tracks out there?
Thanks in advance for the help,
Wayne

#3 ·
Swain, NY is a tiny ski mountain in soutwest NY with some short, smooth, flowy DH runs and one hell of a moto track. The moto track is actually on the ski runs, and is pretty techy with lots of step-ups, step-downs, and rhythm sections running up and down hills. 3 hours from Watsontown.

Ellicottville is another hour west from Swain, so you're talking about a 4 hour drive from Watsontown. It's one of the IMBA epics and has plenty of riding to keep you occupied for a few days. Not too hard to put together a 50-mile ride in E-ville. No shuttle or lift-access gravity runs, just awesome XC trails with some descents running 3 miles in one shot.

For supergnar, you want to check out Plattekill in the Catskill Mountains. 4 hours from Watsontown. Steep, rocky, gnarly old-school DH with ZERO super-groomed buffed-out stuff. It's the type of place you will never truly master. Wear your armor.

Check out the UCI World Cup at Windham, NY June 30-July 2nd. Best riders from all over the world racing, and there are citizens' DH and XC races as well. A bit under 5 hours from Watsontown, and totally awesome experience. Volunteering (say...course marshall/front-row spectator) gets you good parking/camping spot and free food and drink.

Diablo Freeride Park is in northern NJ has techy DH runs as well as some awesome groomed freeride runs with ladders, skinnies, wall rides, doubles, drops, tables, you name it. 3 hours from Watsontown.

Shindagin Hollow near Ithaca, NY has some awesome XC trails for an all-day ride and even has a gravity run or two. There are trail maps, but it's still best to go with a local the first couple times. Less than 3 hours from Watsontown.

Oneonta has great XC/AM trails; we've gotten to the point where we can put together almost a 25 mile ride without too much repeating or road riding. Lots of new trail built by bikers for bikers. That means plenty of optional lines, potential for air time, skinnies, rock sections, berms....3.5 hours from Watsontown.

That's all I've got off the top of my head, without heading farther north.

#5 ·
I'm from the Harrisburg area and there is a very nice trail system about an hour south of where you're moving. It's rattling creek, check it out...awesome AM stuff. I plan on hitting launch bike park next season, I can hook you up with a lot of trails in the Harrisburg area if you're ever interested in making the 1.5 hr drive.

#6 ·
Dude for the DH there isn't much close. Seven springs is closer but small, then Snowshoe.

For cross country and burly trail riding your in great luck if your willing to drive a little. I live in Ohio but ride mostly in PA.

Check out Quebec Run , Apollo Roaring Run, Bavington, Allegrippis , Kennerdel and then for lots of rocks Moraine State Park. Even more parks around Pittsburgh !
Don't forget the entire State College area.

Check out PORC Pittsburgh Mountain Biking, Western Pennsylvania Mountain Biking and Spokejunkies for info an most of these systems.

Then in Ohio there is Rays indoor MTB park , Mohican, Dillon, Wilds. The Wilds and Dillon are close to Rt 70.

I'd be happy to offer you a tour of Moraine next season!

Cheers!

OOOff; I thought I saw Washington, PA.. My bad hope some of this still applies! Allegrippis and State College for sure.

#8 ·
Diablow is 3 hrs from Watsontown and Platty is a little more then 4 hrs away. the extra hour drive is 100% worth it. THE best riding in the east and has one of the longest seasons of riding (they just closed last weekend for the year)
Spring Mtn in PA isnt worth your time to drive there...its a 400' vert "mountain." 7Springs is pretty much the same thing too, just farther away from you.
cross your fingers that Blue Mountain will re-open eventually.

#9 ·
There used to be a lift-operated DH program at the slopes of Denton (Ski Denton between Galeton and Coudersport on Rt. 6) which would be right in your northern backyard by about an hour. I have ridden there a couple times over the years and while the runs were pretty short, it was fun (and STEEP) enough and the lift was fast enough to warrant the drive from NE Ohio. I'm not sure if they still have their summer bike program going though. Something you may want to check come springtime.

#10 ·
Welcome to the east, there is awesome riding to be had in many areas here. Plattekill has the Holy s**t terrain all natural and some sickly steep chutes, drops ranging from 10 to 20ft if thats what you are into. Bottom line is that plattekill will make you a better downhiller plus with countless downhill runs, believe me there has to be about 30 DH runs on this mountain so you wont get bored. Then there is Diablo, jumps, jumps drops and some pretty decent natural downhill trails. Whiteface is a beautiful location but it is a hard mountain to ride, with runs lasting 20 to 30 minutes(with breaks along the way) located in near Lake Placid NY. Mt Snow in Wilmington Vermont, those guys have been stepping up their trail game there, lots of new trails and features planned. Highland in NH past concord is a good freeride park with a great atmosphere, jump trails and some super gnarly natural trails. Highland is a haul from PA but it would be a great yearly trip!

#13 · (Edited)
Hey Wayne!
Make sure you come check out the Reading area too!

We have some of the best riding in the area.... With French Creek State Park, Blue Marsh, Bear Creek, Neversink Mountain, Mt. Penn, Launch Bike Park etc etc.... All within 30min of each other!

I'm always down to ride so maybe we can set something up so I can show you around!

French Creek-
PA DCNR - French Creek State Park

Blue Marsh-
Blue Marsh Lake

Neversink Mountain-
Neversink Mountain

Bear Creek-
Bear Creek Mountain Resort & Conference Center

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.