Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Winter SS Project

838 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cyberbackpacker 
#1 ·
Considering a winter project of taking my my old 96 Caloi frame and making a Hard tail SS out of the old girl. Priority one of the project is stay super cheap. So i have a few Questions I have seen most around here seen to run 45-55 gear inches. So looking at gear inches you have 22/11 at 52 and 34/17 at 52. Part of me likes the thought of the 22 and a high clearance drive train but i seem to see mostly 34ish on the trail why would you chose one over the other. Second i figure there is at least a 50% chance that i will need a chain Tensioner with my vertical dropouts if so I would like to build one rather than buy and I don't feel like using the old XTR rear derailleur as the tensioner so have any of you built a tensioner that you liked and do you have pics. Lastly I have a Torra to replace the old Judy that was on her but was wondering if there was a cheap rigid fork that would hold up to my 275lbs. I remember my first stumpy and the raleigh that replaced it both died of bent/broken forks and that's when i weighed a whole 175LBS and had better bike handling skills.

Thanks for any help
Jones

#2 ·
So i have a few Questions I have seen most around here seen to run 45-55 gear inches. So looking at gear inches you have 22/11 at 52 and 34/17 at 52. Part of me likes the thought of the 22 and a high clearance drive train but i seem to see mostly 34ish on the trail why would you chose one over the other.
Simple, the explanation I have heard, is related with mechanical advantages of using bigger sprockets and chain wheels. Most probably it is related with better efficiency in movement transmission and less stress for the drive train components.

Second i figure there is at least a 50% chance that i will need a chain Tensioner with my vertical dropouts if so I would like to build one rather than buy and I don't feel like using the old XTR rear derailleur as the tensioner so have any of you built a tensioner that you liked and do you have pics.
Use the derailleur you have as a tensioner for the meanwhile, check the forums for "homemade" or DIY tensioners and later on build one. Keep always the derailleur as a backup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.