Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Height adjustable post routing

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Drew Diller 
#1 ·
With the Reverb stealth coming out, I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on using this routing and exactly how to carry it out on a steel frame

My thinking is to use a small piece of tube at the entrance up near the headtube, to reinforce the hole and to initialy guide the hose but let the rest of the hose run without guidance. To get around the bottom bracket joint I would mitre the down tube to the seat tube as normal, but match the mitre on the seattube to leave a space to run the hose through (maybe adding a small guide tube to prvent chaffing on the tube edges). I would extend the breather holes on the bb shell so that you had access to run the cable through, all of this would need to be done with the bottom bracket removed but I don't see any other way and it's not like you'd be doing it very often

Can anyone see a flaw in my plan?

Matt

#2 ·
No reason why it wouldn't work other than a pretty tight bend to get from the dt to the st in the space of a bb.

Might not look bad to route it thru the dt or even externally on the dt and then pop into the bottom of the st thru one of those slick tube covers that nova sells.

That way it could be an nice gentle loop.

This brings to mind installation questions; Im guessing you run the hose out the top of the st, hook up the post and then insert and pull slack out the bottom while feeding it back towards the handlebars.
This might be tough to 'roll' the hose from the st up the dt inside the bb, or at least frustrating.

coming out of the dt and back into the st would give you more play for this operation.

IDK if I would run the hose free in the dt, it will just bang around in there and bug the crap out of you.

You could also miter the DT so that a little space is left open at the bottom and then swing the hose up the back of the st into a cable cover as well.

Just ideas I'm throwing out, I hate to see stuff hard to work on if something goes wrong.
I would aslo probabally ride with a spare clamp in my kit so if it blows out or springs a leak I could clamp the post in the up position so I didn't have to pedal home with my knees hitting me in the chin.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Jake

#3 ·
I *think* that you don't want to miter the DT to the ST in the normal way. To get the most room, I think you want to cut both in a straight line. You may also need to cut out a big hole in the BB. I still don't know if there's room, but I've not given this much thought.

#5 · (Edited)
Barf...

Just use a post with an external control cable, IMO. The internal routing through the DT and ST seems like it's going to be a gigantic PITA, especially if you don't want it to constantly make noise.

What do you do when you want to swap the post to another frame, or something goes wrong with the post and you need to remove it and repair it? I assume the hydro line has to basically stay in the frame full-time once it's installed?

Bring back the hite-rite!

-Walt

#8 ·
As a guy who mated internal cable routing to a first generation Reverb (see here), I second Walt's warning of poor interchangeability. I wanted to go on a ride with a seatpost trailer, so, toss a different post in there for the time bein-- crap. I have to mess around with fluid, the hose doesn't come off very nice, ugh.

Internal stuff looks really cool, and is mildly inconvenient for brakes / shifters and mostly worth it for that in my opinion, but I would not do this again with a Reverb. I wish they made that post cable actuated, because it is otherwise the bee's knees.

#9 ·
My plan is to implement this on our full suspension frame, so it's unlikely that it will get used for a trailer/tag-a-long/child seat etc so easy removal of the seatpost is not a major concern. I also remember seeing pictures of a cable operated post with the same cable routing at either Eurobike or Interbike, I can't remember which manufacturer was showing it though and I can't find the photo I'd seen. It's more a future proofing exercise.

My question is more related to how it should be done, not whether it should be done or not. Lots of people hate internal routing of all kinds but it still gets done and I'd like to know the best way.

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.