Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Freeride / DH gearing 2 ring ?

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  monkei 
#1 ·
Seems like most of the bikes & cranksets running 2 rings come spec'd w/ a 22-32 bash gaurd. Is this done because this is the ultimate FR light DH dual ring gear combo or because it was easier for manufactures to lose the big ring and not have to optimize the other rings? What would be the best crankset rings for a FR / light DH set-up?

#5 ·
Ultimate combo? I've been missing out!

Nah, just a common setup (a lot of 3 ring combos are 22-32-42/44), so 22-32 setups are probably the easiest thing to do for manufacturers.

As for rings, as long as you've got a bashguard (obviously), just get some decent quality rings with good ramps. I run raceface, but there's lots to choose from, just don't be too cheap about it.

#11 ·
I used to have the dual ring 24/36 set up on my Giant Glory FR but swapped it all out for new Raceface cranks, BB, 38T ring and an E13 LG1 chain guide. I will never look back.

#13 ·
I don't like big jumps between chainrings cuz then you have to downshift the rear a few cogs when you upshift the front. 26/36 11-34 on my FR/SD/AM bike. There's only been a couple times I wished for a taller gear and never needed a lower one, and I like cleaning tricky climbs. Even better, the steps between ratios seem perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.