Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

5-10 Barons versus Impacts (PH vs S1 soles)

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ron m. 
#1 ·
I was almost ready to get the Barons but found out they had the PH Stealth soles. The very few limited reviews I read said that those were inferior to S1. I'm looking for the best grip possible. Any experience between the two? Thanks.

#7 ·
I've been using 5.10 Impact Hi for the past few years - great ! Also got the Impact Lo for just kickin around. Been up to the Whistler Bike Park a few times this summer, and I'd say 90% or the 'real' riders are wearing the 5.10 Impacts, the rest are wearing the Karvers.

#8 ·
So I just received my Impact Lows in the mail today and tried them around the neighborhood (some jumps, steps, etc). I honestly didn't think there would be any difference between the DC skate shoes I've been using with the Wah-wah pedals... what's so special about the sole of the 5-10s anyway? I've read several postings claiming that the pins embed and stick into the rubber and that you could almost lift the pedal up from the stick. Well, let me tell you guys who are on the fence, it's not an exaggeration. These shoes really do grip. Once you're pinned to the pedal, the only way to re-adjust is to lift up (you'd figure you've read enough claims to believe that, but I'm a skeptic and until it happened to me, I didn't believe it). I floated over 3-ft steps no problem because I wasn't afraid of de-coupling from the bike (no helmet either, what an idiot).

Still don't regret starting with skate shoes because at least I know the difference. But for you guys who want to start the game right, get these right away. Best $80 bucks I spent yet (yes, that's cheap. Includes shipping and no tax for the win!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.