Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Whistler in September?

1K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  delirian 
#1 ·
We usually go in mid July but with Crankworx running earlier this year we pushed our dates to Aug 19-29. Now we need to push dates again and we'll go either Sept 7-15 or Sept 19-28. I have heard that the trails are in good condition and tacky towards the end of the season. Our biggest worry is the upper mtn closing. Lower mtn is fun and all but we like a bit of the techy stuff and top to bottom runs. I would rather do the later dates as we will have more time there.
So can anybody check the stars and let me know what the weather will be like and if the upper mtn will shut down while we are there or before we get there?
Thanks for any help/advice/experience

#4 ·
Need packing tips now...

Thanks for the info but it has all changed for us again. Instead of our two week trip we have to knock it down to 5 days. August 25-29 is planned. Three days in the park and travel the other 2 days. We are going to fly but now need tips on packing the bikes. Delta is horribly expensive/ripoff. Southwest is and option to Seattle or maybe Bellingham (not sure yet if the fly there or not). Ideally we fly into Vancouver, rent a car, hit extended play our first night there and blah, blah, blah, and shred. We all have bike boxes but they are too big and will cost too much. I remember a thread some time ago that had different packing ideas but couldn't find it. We're competent enough to rebuild our bikes but protection is my main concern. Thanks again for the help

#7 ·
With a suspension bike, you can take off the rear triangle, front triangle...and ship it in a box via ground shipping. That is the cheapest way to go. Get the right boxes that fit your frames. With a group this method is even cheaper. Stay well under the weight limit, just in case. Just make sure your fork fits in the box. Otherwise you will need to put the fork in the luggage. Bubble wrap, or another type of tube wrap, then clothes taped to the bubble wrap, is the way to go imo. Tape or saran wrap everything together into a big blob. Vibration kills aluminum.

#11 ·
Thanks for the link LeeL. I couldn't remember where I saw that.
I'll have to check out the hockey bag and see what type if protection we can wrap around the bikes. I have a medium TR 450 and my buddy has a medium M9 so hopefully we an get them to fit with protection.
F*%#!n airlines! It worked so well for us to fly our first couple of trips and now our 6th trip since '05 is in jeopardy.

#12 ·
septmeber is a great time to go.... its usually very quiet, and some of the trails get reworked/ maintained. and some trails will be abused and batterd. the weather is a bit hit and miss. we have been going in septmeber for the last 4 years, we have had really hot nice weather for 2 full weeks and last years visit it rained solid for the 3 weeks. :mad:
if you go to the end of septmeber its very likley you will see snow at the top of the mountain. also the top usually closes arround the last week of september. mainley due to the amount of people, they say its not worth the expense of running the gondola for the number of people there using it.

#13 ·
flying with your bike isn't expensive, at least on my experience. I went to whistler 2 weeks ago, and I only payed 50 bucks (plus another 50 on the way back) with Canada Airlines. I just phoned them and told them I was bringing a bike with me. Keep in mind that I flew all the way from Mexico.

The packaging was also pretty simple; a bike box with lots of foam. Took off the front wheel, pedals, handlebar and fork and wraped each one with more foam. I was afraid that the box would arrive in bad conditions, but apparently (at least in Air Canada) they know how to handle bikes.

I thought it would all be much more complicated, but im very happy I did it. 100 bucks to ride the bike im comfortable with vs. 120 bucks a day to ride a so-so rental.

#16 ·
As Tree suggested...Air Canada, cardboard bike box, -->$50 each way.

Make sure your flight is an actual Air Canada flight and not "Air Canada sponsored by Delta (or other carrier)" Because you fly by their baggage rules. My last trip to Whislter cost me $175 each way. ka-f'in-ching.

3 weeks Tree!!

#17 ·
Our problem is that Air Canada does not fly out of Salt lake City. We would have to take a connecting flight and pay those charges as well. Delta is probably the way we are going and just pay the fees. I am going to try the hockey bag deal and see how that works out.
I am like a kid looking forward to Christmas. Even after 5 years straight and being 40 it doesn't change how much fun it is. So stoked.

#18 ·
for us to bring our bikes from england to vancouver on thomas cook airlines its 60pound return. my brother and i both use the evoc bike bags, they are quite heavy, arround 8kilo. and expensive to buy at arround 270 pounds, but they are well padded and well made. these bags make traveling with bikes a real pleasure, you can tell that a lot of thought and planning has gone into the design of these bags,
its a standard airline requirement to remove the wheels deflate tyres remove pedal and turn in handlebars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.