Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Weight on the new Carbon v10?

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  drastic. 
#1 ·
I know this bike is new and still a bit rare, but I'm wondering if anyone could give me a ball park for weight on a complete build for an XL frame carbon v10?

#2 ·
The frame (XL, no shock) weighs 3,315 grams according to sicklines.com:
http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/sh...ta-cruz-carbon-v10c-v10-xl-frame-only/cat/529

Which is about 7.3 pounds.

If you bolt 40 pounds worth of parts to it, it will weigh 47.3 pounds.

If you bolt 20 pounds worth of parts to it, it will weigh 27.3 pounds....

.... i know that probably didn't help much, but think about it - the frame only makes up about 20% of the total weight of the bike. It is un-possible to tell how much a build will weigh unless you know what the other 80% are going to be.

Another way of looking at it: The frame is 1 pound lighter than the latest aluminium V10. So if your V10 weighs 40 pounds, the V10c will be 39, using the same parts.

#3 ·
My large V10c came in at 38# -11oz. with some pretty standard issue parts
Avalanche Woodie with Ti spring
Boxxer Team
Saint cranks
Outlaw wheelset
Tubeless Minions
2011 Codes
CB Mallets
SRAM 9 speed drivetrain

I'm sure there are lighter builds out there, but I went for durability in my part choices.

#5 ·
Thanks for the feedback!

I had heard rumors that you could get AM weight, but it seems they were unfounded.
Of course you can get AM weights but you'll need more than just a 1# lighter frame! Have a look around, people have build up V10Cs at less than 35#s.
But just because the frame is carbon and 1 pound lighter doesn't mean the whole bike automatically becomes 10 pounds lighter.

It's not hard really - all you need to do is add up the weight of all the parts...

#8 ·
my v10 is just under 35# but thats more due to running tubeless tires, the vivid air and a boxxer wc than the frame. the rest of the build is pretty standard, if high end: e13 cranks, x0 drive train and brakes, dt f600 rims on dt 440 hubs (36 hole though), etc.

i am running the new havoc carbon bar though, which has caused my "friends" to give me no end of crap about how everything i buy MUST be cf now...

#9 ·
...i am running the new havoc carbon bar though, which has caused my "friends" to give me no end of crap about how everything i buy MUST be cf now...
WTF is up w/ that... I got myself a BLTc and have caught NO END to the "your plastic frame is going to snap in half" BS! Does carbon evoke that much envy? I've researched hi and lo before I threw down damn near $2K and came away w/ 100% comfort on the frame purchase. Has mountain biking turned into such a fvcking knitting circle that only heresy and stories of my buddy's 3rd cousin removed best friend's tea-bagging lover has snapped his carbon seatpost and now has to crap into a colostomy bag, run the day?

#12 ·
I have a v10c that weighs in at 36 pounds 4 ounces. It has a boxxer world cup, vivid air, dt swiss wheels, high roller II tires, e13 srs chainguide and sram xo brakes, shifter, and derailleur. I absolutely love the bike, with the exception being the rims. They are too soft and dent easily

#14 ·
rugby,

I work at a shop. I have some for sale . They seem to brake better because of the more solid blocks that go across the tread. Rolling resistance is similar, and the cornering is very good if not just slightly better than the original. overall, they're a great tire.

#16 ·
pretty funny about weights.....I have a solid built M-9 weighing 39 and 1oz...honestly if you lightened the cranks (I have Saints) put in an air shock, lighter plastic or leather road seat...smaller rotors and lighter wheelset (823's and hadleys) I could see shaving another 3 to 4 pounds...but then you are compromising durabilty...if you are under 160 then go fo...so with a V-10 carbon I see 35 pounds

#17 ·
Well I'm 6'3" and weigh 200# without gear on so maybe I should be less worried about weight and more worried about getting a bike that can handle my mass.

Right now I can't decide whether to go for a DH or FR bike. I haven't looked at FR bikes much. I spend most of my biking time and a lift assisted bike park, but I also ride ride half a mile to work everyday, and there are a lot of trails in the area that require a little bit of uphill.

How hard is it really to ride a DH bike up a hill or on a road?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.