Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Strong, cheap seatpost?

645 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  the Inbred 
#1 ·
the raceface single bolt XC post keeps coming loose on my tirade, what is a strong one? I am gonna cut it down quite a bit so weight isnt that much of an issue, although i dont want it to be ridiculously heavy. is the raceface atlas good? i definatly need a double bolt

#2 ·
Richard85 said:
the raceface single bolt XC post keeps coming loose on my tirade, what is a strong one? I am gonna cut it down quite a bit so weight isnt that much of an issue, although i dont want it to be ridiculously heavy. is the raceface atlas good? i definatly need a double bolt
There've been posts like this before. Search function=friend.

But to save you the trouble, just get a thomson and be done with it.

#4 ·
Richard85 said:
those are like 80 bucks, would a BMX seatpost like the odyssey intac fit?
I can't imagine the raceface stuff is that much cheaper. I messed around with other seatposts and after going through 5-6 I ponied up and bought a thomson. It'll probably outlast me. I have seen thomsons on sale online for as cheap as 60 before.

As far as using a BMX seatpost, I have no clue. Different mtb manufacturers use different size tubing, what fits one bike won't necessarily fit another one. I'd say its def worth finding out.

#5 ·
try this...

Sette APX Alloy Seatpost at Pricepoint.com $19.98 I find most dual bolt micro adjust posts work better than single bolt.

One thing about the Thomson that, IMO, makes it better than posts like the Sette is the clamp on the Thomson is wider, better supporting the seat rails, helping to prevent bending. The clamps on most economy post tend to be rather narrow, making it easier for the rails to bend.

Anyhow, good luck. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.