Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Advice needed for Camp Verde AZ in mid July

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  woahey 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone from Camp Verde or nearby area?

I'm going to be there mid July with my 29er HT. I've never ridden there before and don't know much about the area.

I'm hoping to do some relaxed XC riding. I'm not skilled enough for serious AM or DH.

I know it's gonna be hot so I have some insulated bottles and my Camelbak mule ready. I'm also gonna make sure tubeless tires are ready to go.

Please share information for Trails (with descriptions of distance, type of riding, and directions on how to get there... I'll be using Google Maps to plan out my rides.)

Any additional advise and tips would be appreciated.

(I'm excited to be going back to AZ and enjoy it on two wheels. I used to live in Phoenix area from 1992-1996. I loved dessert weather, even the summers. I only complained when temps would climb over 110'F. I wonder if I will still have my heat tolerance.)

**short update**
I just saw a nice (dirt) road on Google Maps.. Forest 9203 Rd. that leads to other nice roads.. Awesome. Now I hope they are not exclusive for motorized vehicles only.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi Xstyling. I'm in Cottonwood just up valley a ways. Don't know of any bike specific trails near Camp Verde. The trail at DHSP is a triangular loop with some side trails. Here's the trail map link: http://www.pr.state.az.us/Parks/DEHO/downloads/DEHO_Trails_Color_2009_c.pdf The common route is up Lower Raptor, across Thumper, down Lime Kiln. Upper Raptor is an uphill out/back, Bones is a downhill out/back. Be advised you have to pay $3 for park access.

You can ride pretty much anywhere you want that it doesn't say not to and I don't think there are any motorized only trails or roads around here.

The Sedona system trails would be your best bet for moderate riding and the scenery isn't bad either. Go really early to avoid crowds and the heat.

Nice trails and cooler weather at Prescott or Flagstaff but a 45 minute drive minimum either way.

Depending on your timing I could be available for some riding. No $15 Power Bars required.

#5 ·
No $15 Power Bars required.
Jeff- Hahahahaha!

X- There's a huge network of trails in Sedona, about 20-30 min from Camp Verde. Lots of maps available on here as well as at LBS's. Definitely start early no matter where you're at. The forest roads are exactly that, you may see 4x4's, ATV's, or dirtbikes (or Nissan Versa's from Hertz). I'd recommend sticking to the singletrack! Not only is it safer, its more fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.