Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best Arizona Trail DOGS

7K views 45 replies 27 participants last post by  jfk 
#1 ·
Hey all. I'm moving out that way next month and was thinking about getting a trail dog.

Anyone with some experience on what breeds hold up best out there? Any input would be great. Thank you!

#3 ·
Working Kelpie

Used to the heat and can work (run) all day. Plus, no problem if you get attacked by a herd of sheep. :thumbsup:

Here's WK Gem sitting on the tailgate lording over her bro Buddy.

Bob

Attachments

#4 ·
I'm with raising az. Drive to Kayenta and pick up one of the dogs that are in the burger king lot. Buy a whopper and they'll follow you wherever you go.

I have a couple of cattle dogs. Again, bred to withstand the heat and run their ass off all day long. One is a great trail dog, and the other bites every bicyclist out there...including me. Good luck.

#10 ·
More than one ACD (Australian Cattledog) has been placed with a mountain biker family through my sister's new rescue group called Arizona Cattledog Rescue

See www.arizonacattledogrescue.org or
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/AZ403.html or
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arizona-Cattle-Dog-Rescue/163993330278652).

And, they have just been 501(c)(3) certified so your donations are tax deductible. Go to the websites or contact me if you want more info!

I'm including a pic of my three cowdogs - all rescues. The two on the left could never keep up with the fast pace of riding, but have been great at long hikes or backpacks (or along for a ride in the kayak). Holly, my young girl on the right, is a great trail dog for following bikes. BUT!!! Beware of taking any dog out on bike rides in the AZ desert heat. Winter is fine in the Phx or Tucson areas, but during the summer reserve your dog rides for places up north.

Attachments

#11 ·
Another ACD Vote

This 33 pounder is just amazing dog. Goes all day. She was rescued/brought in from the rez, found in a box of mates at WalMart. I got her when she was about a year old. The best physical feature to look for as a trail dog is lean and tall for the weight. I've had shorter and stockier cattle dogs, and while they give a 110% all the time, lean efficiency dogs finish the bike ride in much better condition.

Attachments

#13 ·
Here is my ole' school cattle dog....a pure breed Swedish Vallhund......click on the link since you've prolly never heard of them.....Graham likes to accost riders on Hawes with well wishes and stoke aiming towards the consumption of Tequila....he loves everyone, and hates none (except for the cholla that guards the packrat midden). He especially LURVES him some Cabin Loop......:thumbsup:

Attachments

#18 ·
Whatever dog you choose, start them out young and slow. Teach them voice commands such as "trail (to stay on the trail), stop, go ('k" works better than go), up (to hurry up or get up a climb), stay". Remember they need as much water as you, as fuel (treats) too. We have an old ACD with hip problems now, but my husband found her in the desert where he lived @ Estrella. She lived in the desert for 2 years before he finally dedicated a 3 day weekend, and alot of hot dogs, to coax her into his backyard.
My girl is a Alaskan sled dog, which are mixes of sheperds and huskies. She has a black coat, so I don't take her out much in the summer...that's another thing to keep in mind. A lighter coat will be easier on them in the summer.
Here's a pic of mine at DD on a nice cold, cloudy day.

Attachments

#20 ·
Just thought I'd give a little input. I got a Rhodesian ridgeback for company on the az trails and she held up great. Very smart and obedient as long as you get a young one and start training early. Took mine on a 10 mile run by the time she was 2 years old, she was awesome! They were bread to corner lions so they handle hot dry environment extremely well. They may develope hip problems but as long as you train them properly they get strong enough to limit the hip problems. Hope that helps.

#22 ·
Ridgebacks are a great choice for the desert...you just have to make sure you are dedicated to getting them alot of exercise (like the 10 mile run, awesome!). Unfortunately, there are usually quite a few Ridgebacks at the Humane Society due to inactive owners who can't handle the breed.

#23 ·
Yeah I was looking into rescues but a must is to have the ridge showing! I take the dogs out quite a bit and live near a very large trail head with tons of trails dont completely trust the shepheards as they still like to chase rabbits and get off the trail a bit.

#42 ·
Gotta love this post. This looks just like my young one. She's taken over the couch, bed, and all pillows in the house. My wife doesn't have the heart to kick her off, and I don't want to be sleeping in the shed next to my bike.

#26 ·
if your still looking google ridgeback rescue and you should find a local rescue here in az. There is also a breeder here in az but they might be a little more expensive. Another thing to point out, while they don't eat pillows or tear up furniture they do dig a lot if not exercised daily. Keep us posted with pics on what you decide to get please.

#28 ·
well my acre is fenced in and they could chase rabbits with the GSD's and go out with me..... But I just cant get another dog right now. eukanuba already is pricey enough now. I actually spoke with a breeder here in Tucson a couple times just never pulled the trigger. I always wanted a GSD too and the two I got was from a family friend who wanted to try breeding. They hated it so they gave me 2 since I found 2 others homes. Cant really pass up that deal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.