Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

MTB Shoe Re-sole?

8K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  desertrider83 
#1 ·
Has anyone had a pair of mtb shoes resoled/retreaded here in the valley? I have a pair of Spec carbons that are okay on top but pretty rough on the rubber side.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Black Bart said:
Has anyone had a pair of mtb shoes resoled/retreaded here in the valley? I have a pair of Spec carbons that are okay on top but pretty rough on the rubber side.

Thanks!
A cycling buddy of mine actually uses shoe gu to "resole" his shoes. He'll just use duct tape and make little reservoirs where the sole is worn, and fill with shoe gu. Cheap, and works like a charm.

#7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've used shoe goo in the past to re-adhere the tread to a shoe or fix up the toe protection but not to recreate the tread. I really hoped someone knew of a cobbler here that would do it, I knew of a guy in West LA that would retread bike shoes for a reasonable fee but that's not so convenient from here.

JB Weld guys, what's the traction like using that stuff?

BritMtnBiker said:
Also just had one of the sides stitched up at a shoe repair on Warner and McClintock. Guy did great work and cant tell which side got stitched. http://www.azshoeluggagerepair.com
Funny, this is the only guy around here that I called so far, he kept talking about hiking shoes when I said biking shoes. I'll probably stop in there to see if I have better luck in person then I did trying to communicate with him over the phone.

#8 ·
Black Bart said:
JB Weld guys, what's the traction like using that stuff?
No worse than carbon. I wore the toe treads off my Specialized Carbons hiking my SS, so I used the JBW to patch up the toe treads. Traction probably isn't great, but I don't notice any difference. I'm motivated to NOT hike at much.

My next patch job will be JBWing a piece of tire tread to the toe box on the bottom. Sounds crazy, but have faith it will work.

#9 ·
When I was a kid playing tons of tennis, I'd wear out the toe of my left foot from dragging it during serving. Since my parents were going to go broke trying to keep me in shoes, I took an old tennis ball, cut it up and shoe gooed on a piece to the toe of my shoe. Worked awesome since it already has molded in curvature. Just make sure everything is clean and even us a little paint thinner or acetone to clean both surfaces. I'm sure any other rubber object would work but the spherical shape of the ball was perfect.

#11 ·
desertrider83 said:
you guys must be ruff on shoes. i've had my shimano m225's for about 4 years,and they're still good.
Nah, these shoes have outlasted a frame, fork, cranks, several bottom brackets, pedals, wheels, stem... actually the only things they didn't outlast on my main mtb are the seatpost, seatpost clamp, waterbottle cages and handlebars.

Struck out bringing them in to the shoe repair shop, it's too much of a "specialized process" for them to do. Guess I'll play around with some shoe goo, JB Weld, bondo and old tires then go new shoe shopping.

urbanseeds said:
No worse than carbon. I wore the toe treads off my Specialized Carbons hiking my SS, so I used the JBW to patch up the toe treads. Traction probably isn't great, but I don't notice any difference. I'm motivated to NOT hike at much.
Yup and Yup on the SS hiking. I'd like traction a bit better than flat CF offers though! I also need more of the tread depth back around the cleat so I'm not walking on metal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.