Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Camel Back MULE vs MULE N.V.

26K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  cstem 
#1 · (Edited)
Camel Back MULE vs MULE N.V. vs Vaude Hyper Air

Getting a new Camelback for longer rides / hotter days and was considering the Mule.
The NV has an improved ventilation system but weighs more and costs more than the standard Mule
Anyone been able to feel an improvement in ventilation with the NV? e.g. a cooler back?
Thanks!
Dan

UPDATE 2013
Update: I bought the Vaude Hyper Air 14+3 Pack Black/Grey, 14 plus 3. Almost 2 years later I am still loving it. Very cool vent system in the back that. I have yet to find anything better.
I rotate through different bladders. Slight preference to the camelback bladder due to mouthpiece flowing better.

#5 ·
Also take a look at the Vaude packs. The packs that say "air" like the Hyper "Air" have a mesh back panel and they actually have airflow behind the back that does work. They also have a fairly substantial waste belt. Downsides are the bladder is not insulated, and no phone/MP3 pocket, but one of the cooler packs in hot weather.

I also tried some of the Deuter packs that have a similar design, but their waste belts were thin afterthoughts, and they had pressure spots.

#8 · (Edited)
Great input so far!!!

Thanks for market research as well.

I noticed on the clearance priced Mules they have the older 100oz OMEGA HydroTanium reservoir. The newer ones have the
100 fl. oz. Antidote™ reservoir equipped with the Quick Link™ connection system for hassle-free removal of the drinking tube

Is the new bladder that big of a deal? REI has the new ones on sale for $60ish

#9 ·
twowheelsdown2002 said:
Also take a look at the Vaude packs. The packs that say "air" like the Hyper "Air" have a mesh back panel and they actually have airflow behind the back that does work. They also have a fairly substantial waste belt. Downsides are the bladder is not insulated, and no phone/MP3 pocket, but one of the cooler packs in hot weather.

I also tried some of the Deuter packs that have a similar design, but their waste belts were thin afterthoughts, and they had pressure spots.
Thanks- I like the price of these. Do you know if anyone stocks them locally?

#10 ·
Old ROMPer said:
Great input so far!!!

Thanks for market research as well.

I noticed on the clearance priced Mules they have the older 100oz OMEGA HydroTanium reservoir. The newer ones have the
100 fl. oz. Antidote™ reservoir equipped with the Quick Link™ connection system for hassle-free removal of the drinking tube

Is the new bladder that big of a deal?
The newer bladders are nce but not $40 worth of nice. I realize that is an individual value judgement but it is coming from someone who has one of each. A Mule at $40 is a great deal on a great pack. I may order one as a spare.

#14 ·
DepartmentofGoods.com has the Vaude Hyper Air and Deuter Race X Air for $37.58. I own a new Hyper Air and an older Deuter, MUCH cooler than a Camelbak, lighter but not as many pockets. I like both but the Vaude is the perfect cycling pack as it's 14 liters that expand to 17 liters. The Deuter I have is larger (AC lite 20 Liter) than the Race X so I use it in winter.
The only thing I use that's Camelbak is their bite valves. Mule is a 14 liter pack.

#15 ·
Thanks for everyones feedback!!!
I decided to try the Vaude. Ordered thru Amazon from Department of Goods.com.

I did buy a Camelback mule at the Bass Pro sale for $59 last week but got looking at it and realized it had the old bladder so it going back. So that and the REI sale started this whole rethink... If I don't like the Vaude I don't know which way I will go next....

#16 ·
If you don't like the Vaude you could try the Ergon BC2. I haven't tried it or even seen it on the trail but they are feature rich and Competative Cyclist has the best price seen at $69. Usually well over $140. They swivel with your body. Weight unknown, cadillac pack.

#17 ·
abegold said:
If you don't like the Vaude you could try the Ergon BC2. I haven't tried it or even seen it on the trail but they are feature rich and Competative Cyclist has the best price seen at $69. Usually well over $140. They swivel with your body. Weight unknown, cadillac pack.
I had an Ergon BC2 before the Vaude. I did not like how it swung around.:nono:

You could make adjustments to the Ergon to set how far off the back it carried. But with a full bladder in it, it would contact my back(and therefore make me sweat) If I adjusted it so it had air space with a full bladder, then it felt akward. It felt like you had a plank stuck 2 feet behind you with a bowling ball sitting on the end of it, so when you moved around you could really feel the weight out away from your body.

The Vaude keeps it's air space even with a full bladder, but the weight feels like it is much closer to the body than the Ergon. The Ergon felt really weird in technical terrain where you use a lot of body english. Not so with the Vaude.

G
#18 ·
Also look into the osprey talon series packs. You can get a 6L MSR bladder in most of them. In my experience, the mule is a great pack for smaller guys on short rides ( <3 hrs). I find the mule sits up way to high on my back and caused back pains. It is also limited on space if you ever plan to pack a lunch or something. I also found that the shoulder straps cut off blood flow to my arms. Osprey and wingnut are good packs to look at if you have the same issues i have had. I have since threw in the towel and started making my own packs. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
I own both

Bought a NV to replace my old CB. I didn't realize the weight difference. Loaded up, I bet it weighs 10-14 lbs anyway. But you can definitely tell the difference with the air circulation around your back. I believe the lack of circulation from previous models contributed to bonking, which led them to make improvements.
I could be wrong and am sure there are other great packs out there.

#26 ·
Follow up-

I have been running with this for a month + and thought I would give some feedback

I really like the pack. The ventilation system is good. It holds plenty of gear and grub. The mouthpiece/bite valve seems a little weak and I may try and switch it out with a camelback.

I really like how light it is compared to anything else I found and ventilation seems superior to any of the newer or older Camelbacks when comparing in the field with a few guys I ride with.

Thanks again for the all the input and feedback

Dan

#28 ·
Follow up-

I have been running with this for a month + and thought I would give some feedback

I really like the pack. The ventilation system is good. It holds plenty of gear and grub. The mouthpiece/bite valve seems a little weak and I may try and switch it out with a camelback.

I really like how light it is compared to anything else I found and ventilation seems superior to any of the newer or older Camelbacks when comparing in the field with a few guys I ride with.

Thanks again for the all the input and feedback

Dan
Which one- the Vaude? And which model?

I am a slim build guy- and I find that many of the packs I have to take in all of the slack to get any fit then they feel a bit weird- anyone else like me? (If you are too much like me I am sooooo sorry for you!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.