Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Prescott Ride 5-29-11

2K views 45 replies 7 participants last post by  Jayem 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Sunday, 5-29-11 at 8a meeting here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....677068&sspn=50.37814,73.125&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17

Jayem says it's the best starting point so I'll trust him... for now...

See everyone tomorrow morning!

----

Gonna be up in Prescott for a wedding Saturday and the BiL-to-be and I are gonna go for a ride. Not sure where yet but I figured I'd post it and see if we can get a gang riding. Jayem, the only Prescott local that I know of by moniker, mentioned he may be up for a ride that day and if that's the case we may have a guide :)

I was thinking of riding the trails north of Iron Springs Road just west of town since we'll be staying about 15 minutes from there but I can't seem to find my Fat Tire Book with the details of the trails. Of course, we'll be open to any ideas.

So, if you wanna join in post up. Come on up and enjoy a little cooler climate and let's have some fun...

See less See more
#4 ·
North of that is Granite Basin, South is Highland Pines and Thumb Butte. There are a lot of trails either way. Id say highland pines and South would be the most interesting with a "guide", Granite Basin is pretty straightforward.

#5 ·
Granite Basin is what I was thinking. We'll be staying in Highland Pines and I've hiked to Thumb Butte and around the Thumb Butte trail but not knowing what else is around there I always assumed it was more of a hiking destination.

I'm up for whatever is more leaning towards intermediate tech. The buddy I'll be riding with has good legs but not as much saddle time so I don't wanna make it too far over his head. Or mine for that matter :) Not having ridden up there besides the forest roads through Highland Pines I don't know what to expect.

#6 ·
That's fine too. I think that Thumb Butte has more managable "tech" trails for a relatively new rider, as well as more shade and trees. Granite Basin is ok too, more sandy. Some of my favorite trails in that area may or may not be appropriate, such as 352, 40 and 345, but that leaves plenty of others that are fine. I guess I find the "tame" trails in GB a little "tamer" than most of the trails in TB.

A potential ride from Highland Pines may meet up at the 332/railroad grade parking lot, ride through some of the Highland Pines trails (despite de-forestation, it looks like a good deal of these still exist, I was checking them out last weekend), ride over to the "tunnel" and then Tatonka/IMBA, Fireplace Springs, 332, 318, Thumb Butte parking area, 326, 367, 392, 326, 327,393, get to Copper Basin Rd and then turn around and go back with some minor differences. This makes a nice out-n-back on a wide variety of trails and elevations, also nice cuz you can go "as far as you like" and turn around early easily.

A potential ride in GB would be 332 into GB and over to 346, then it really depends on the skill level, riding down 347 (very mild downhill) is something that a lot of beginners enjoy, but you'd either have to come back up it or ride up 345 for the loop, but 345 has some "tech" sections that could be frustrating for a newer rider, as well as some steep sections towards the end. It's not crazy bad/south mountain style though. Otherwise, trail 349 is fun, and 350 is fun too if you can fit in in there. Then you come back on 332 eventually back to the railroad grade/parking area on the other side of Iron Springs Rd.

#7 ·
Jayem said:
A potential ride in GB would be 332 into GB and over to 346, then it really depends on the skill level, riding down 347 (very mild downhill) is something that a lot of beginners enjoy,
I'm not a beginner but I was in Prescott riding for the first time two weeks ago and I thought going down 347 was a blast. It isn't difficult at all but it's fast and flowy with a few short easy tech sections.

#8 ·
Jayem said:
That's fine too. I think that Thumb Butte has more managable "tech" trails for a relatively new rider, as well as more shade and trees. Granite Basin is ok too, more sandy. Some of my favorite trails in that area may or may not be appropriate, such as 352, 40 and 345, but that leaves plenty of others that are fine. I guess I find the "tame" trails in GB a little "tamer" than most of the trails in TB.

A potential ride from Highland Pines may meet up at the 332/railroad grade parking lot, ride through some of the Highland Pines trails (despite de-forestation, it looks like a good deal of these still exist, I was checking them out last weekend), ride over to the "tunnel" and then Tatonka/IMBA, Fireplace Springs, 332, 318, Thumb Butte parking area, 326, 367, 392, 326, 327,393, get to Copper Basin Rd and then turn around and go back with some minor differences. This makes a nice out-n-back on a wide variety of trails and elevations, also nice cuz you can go "as far as you like" and turn around early easily.

A potential ride in GB would be 332 into GB and over to 346, then it really depends on the skill level, riding down 347 (very mild downhill) is something that a lot of beginners enjoy, but you'd either have to come back up it or ride up 345 for the loop, but 345 has some "tech" sections that could be frustrating for a newer rider, as well as some steep sections towards the end. It's not crazy bad/south mountain style though. Otherwise, trail 349 is fun, and 350 is fun too if you can fit in in there. Then you come back on 332 eventually back to the railroad grade/parking area on the other side of Iron Springs Rd.
Well, without knowing where anything really is and what everyone's version of "tech", "difficult", "frustrating", etc are I'd say I'm open to all of the above. I'm not worried about frustrating anyone. Hell, frustration is A LOT of makes me wanna get better. Until my buddy has more saddle time I just wanna make sure he doesn't get home thinking, "man, I'm lucky to be alive" :)

The second GB ride 332, 346, 347, 345 + some sounds good. Hell, I may even be one of the frustrated new riders :madman:

#13 ·
I'm trying to figure out my obligations over the weekend but I might be able to meet you. I've got a wife and kids to keep happy. I think they are doing triathlon practice Sunday am so I might be off the hook. I am just getting back into mtbs after years of only occasional riding. I just bought a new Anthem X 29er that I'm trying to get used to. I'm not real confident on really technical stuff but most of the trails around Prescott are not technical at all. Just fun relatively smooth single track.

You would have no problem finding your way at GB since there are trail maps at the parking areas. $5 fee. As Jayem says the stuff on the S. side of Iron Sprs. Rd is not as well marked so a guide would be nice.

Here's my no fee suggestion but you could just cough up the $5 and park in GB where you can get a map first.

If you park on Iron Springs Rd. where the 332 crosses (past GB rd. turnoff a ways. Look for a small FS trail sign (picture of a hiker) on the N. side of the rd. but you park in large gravel area with gate and boulders on the S. side) No fee there. Cross Iron Sprs rd. to the N. and you are on 332 (gate) and it takes you right to the top of the GB trail system. 332 goes down then up and crosses the GB rd. (two gates) then down to a saddle with another gate on your right. You are at the top of 347 there. Go through the gate then immediately left and up 100yds through another gate and you are on your way. Cut left on the 348 (then you don't have to ride all the way back up 345 but you miss the second half of 347) and back to the main parking lots where you can pick up a map. Ride up to Cayuse equestrian parking lot on the road or trail that parallels it then take 349 loop from S. side of parking lot. When you get back to the main road you can decide if you want to head back up and back to your vehicle on 332 (via Cayuse 347 or reverse 349) or do some other trails. If you want a little more tech go back down the 348 and pick up the second half of 347 and then go up 345.

#19 ·
I would not suggest meeting @the cayuse area. If we have to pick up a few riders there thats fine, but its not the best location to start a ride in Granite Basin. The old railroad grade off of Iron Springs (mile or two past GB road up Iron Springs on the left) is far better, not because it's free, but because it lets you ride 332 into GB. There arr other peripheral trails around GB that are fun, and by parking @cayuse you miss out, not to mention the additional riding to the South of Iron Springs.

Ride is posted on pmba.

How about 8am@the railroad grade?

#20 ·
I would not suggest meeting @the cayuse area. If we have to pick up a few riders there thats fine, but its not the best location to start a ride in Granite Basin. The old railroad grade off of Iron Springs (mile or two past GB road up Iron Springs on the left) is far better, not because it's free, but because it lets you ride 332 into GB. There arr other peripheral trails around GB that are fun, and by parking @cayuse you miss out, not to mention the additional riding to the South of Iron Springs.

Ride is posted on pmba.

How about 8am@the railroad grade?
That sounds fine to me. I assume that this location is not difficult to find?

#21 ·
If you get to the Alto OHV area you've gone too far! The railroad grade isnt hard to find, but it comes up fast on the left.

#23 ·
34.582026, -112.548194

It's there!

It's actually on the South side of the road, trail 332 starts on the North side, but there is nowhere to park on that side. When the old railroad grade starts is a parking area/trailhead.

Go West on Iron Springs Rd as if you are going to Skull Valley or Granite Basin, but go PAST the Granite Basin Rd turnoff, only 1-2 miles up the road is a trailhead on the left that is simply an old rail-road grade (it's an actual trailhead though for trails in Granite Basin and Thumb Butte). It comes up a little fast because of the speed limit, and if you get to/past the Alto OHV area you have gone too far.

#32 ·
Will try to make it on time! (Ill be there though, even if im a couple min late )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.