Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking for some MTB riding partners

1K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  UpChuckAz 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm relatively new to MTBing, been doing it 2 years in my free time and nothing competitive. I live in the East Valley and mostly hit Usery and SanTan as they are closest to me. I ride alone mostly, and love the challenging trails, but this isn't always the safest thing, especially for a woman. I have looked for east valley MTB riding clubs but have found nothing. Just want maybe some weekly rides, on some semi challenging trails. I'm not a newbie but defnately far from expert. If anyone knows of anything, clubs etc please let me know. Thanks!

#2 ·
I too was looking for people to ride with and while doing research I found "Buzzard bait" or something along those lines and they rode from Gilbert or somewhere like that. Google them and see what you find. I am in Scottsdale so a little far for me to travel.

Good luck,

Doug

#4 · (Edited)
I don't think you're going to find a club, as you think of it....most of us who ride the dirt are pretty individualistic...as it seems you are too. Just keep your eye posted for rides up on this board....unfortunately, things are heating up down here and MTBR-AZ tends to really mean MTBR-PHX.....with a few exceptions (and those exceptions tend to be stellar). The implication being that most of the impromptu, posted up rides down here in the lowlands go down in terms of frequency during the season....and griping and moaning online goes up....that does not mean, however; there are no group rides going on.

If you want some more challenging trails over what you've been doing so far....venture away from SanTan and try Hawes....it's not so far off the beaten path that if you get into trouble, that someone won't notice you and be able to help. It's fairly well traveled in the mornings and evenings with hikers and bikers. Also, check out your LBS; chances are that they have a regular ride during the week. Lastly, do a search on the monthly nite rides out at Pemberton this summer if you have to stay in town....good place to venture out with lots of people....and while Pemberton may be tame....riding at night always ratchets up the stoke factor just a bit....

Good Luck and welcome.

#7 ·
Wow, thank you for all the positive responses! Your right, I am not so much in it for the social as I am for the challenge of trying new places. Always helps to go with people who know or have been though. So I'll rephrase and say if there is any women or men in the east velley that want to ride, or have groups, keep me in mind, and I am even willing to go to verde valley :). I will keep checking the board for info on rides. As for this Friday eve, I will keep it in mind as I have a previous obligation but if at falls through.....

#8 ·
Azninjamom said:
Wow, thank you for all the positive responses! Your right, I am not so much in it for the social as I am for the challenge of trying new places. Always helps to go with people who know or have been though. So I'll rephrase and say if there is any women or men in the east velley that want to ride, or have groups, keep me in mind, and I am even willing to go to verde valley :). I will keep checking the board for info on rides. As for this Friday eve, I will keep it in mind as I have a previous obligation but if at falls through.....
Im in East Mesa and try to ride at least twice a week as a minimum. Ive been hooked on riding Pass Mt lately and there is plenty of tech on that trail for sure. Ill post up next time Im heading up that way.

#13 ·
longhairmike said:
i hafta wait 4 more frickin weeks... but ill be good for crack-o-dawn rides at hawes as it will soon be my back yard...

ill need to go bike shopping first though. my decade and a half year old XC bike is not going to cut it there...
Nah .... Just upgrade your wheels to tubeless and you will be good to go. My 95 Avalanche LE still rocks it with the best of them.

#15 ·
I figured I'd finally join this board instead of just lurk occasionally. I'm in Gilbert and Chandler and used to live in 'tukee. I'm pretty familiar with everything on SoMo but have been venturing out to the east trails like usery, hawes, etc. SanTan, as I found out, is pretty lame but the girl likes the more tame ride there so we'll hit that once in a while.

Azninjamom - I have some of my rides w/ gps data on my profile here: http://www.everytrail.com/profile.php?user_id=95654
That site is a goldmine for cool trails and details; I've just started to record and add my own.

Bituman - I need to get some night gear for that ride.. maybe next one. no lights for me (yet). I've seen the Landis crew on SoMo when i'm comin down with their lights on going up... since then i've wanted to do the same.

Re: buzzards bait... never heard of them but looked it up.. no longer a site on the domain but the same dude owns it.
buzzardbaitcyclists.org
Mark Lassiter
19675 E. Via Del Oro
Queen Creek, AZ 85242
Registrant Email:mlassiter@lassiterlawfirm.com

Anyways... A couple of my friends and I have done some rides together on SoMo and T100 up north - I really need to check out hawes as everybody says that's pretty cool. I'm down to ride, I'm just busy and my schedule sucks... that and I'm more of night owl and don't wake up before 10 usually ;)

Cheers
- Chuck

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.