Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lightweight DH rim advise needed

8K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Err 
#1 ·
Got some birthday money to spend so I of course I'm going to blow it on bike stuff. Right now I have some fairly beat mtx 33 rims laced with champion spokes to saint hubs. I'm liking the hubs but want to go lighter with the spokes and rims. I'm already planning on dt comp spokes so now I'm looking for some rim advise. I'm not tough on rims (the mtxs were beat when I got them) but don't want to worry if the rims will hold up.

What I'm looking for:
Between 500 and 600 grams
36 Hole

Some ideas:
Mtx 29
Mavic 721
Dt 500 or 600
Alex supra d

So any comments on the durability of these or any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#9 ·
DHRracer said:
Did you mention what rim width ot tire size you plan on running? I have allways been a fan of Mavic 721's but I am going to give Stan Flows a try for my next wheel build.
I will be running 2.35 specialized tires. I typically like 28 to 30 mm width rims

I have been on my stans flow rims on my AM/FR bike for 2 seasons now and have had zero issues. Problem is they don't come in 36h

#13 ·
Nozes said:
I'm keeping an eye out for Alex's FR30,claimed weight 395gr for 30mm wide,~30€ in some german online shops.
That's a good choice. I'm sure that's jsut a typo, but they're actually 495g. I've got the FR32 (2mm wider than the 30), and no issues with them. Then again, I'm not a plow/hack rider.

Also, how about the Spank Subrosa's... 520g, and come in sweet anodized colors (if looks matter).

On the topic of Lightweight...what are some good, lightweight spokes? I'm figuring my fr32's are probably 520ish g (Alex doesnt have them on their site), and may not be worth the trouble upgrading my rim's to save 20g/rim...maybe might be more cost effective to buy lighter spokes and/or hubs and get it relaced?

#15 ·
Been shredding the EX500's for 4 months on the local trails now and so far so good! Run about 25 psi and there's no dents so far. That being said I would never take them to Whistler cuz that's just a lost cause....

EX721's are definitely stronger than EX500's. They gave out after 4 weeks of Whistler but that's understandable....

Supra D is not a light rim but it is freakin STRONG. Definitely the burliest rim out of your selection and if you want a strong wheelset go with these.

#16 ·
Iggz said:
Been shredding the EX500's for 4 months on the local trails now and so far so good! Run about 25 psi and there's no dents so far. That being said I would never take them to Whistler cuz that's just a lost cause....

EX721's are definitely stronger than EX500's. They gave out after 4 weeks of Whistler but that's understandable....

Supra D is not a light rim but it is freakin STRONG. Definitely the burliest rim out of your selection and if you want a strong wheelset go with these.
If you go by the manufacturers weights then the supra d rims are 10 grams lighter than the 721's. Not saying those are completely accurate but I have seen a few other older posts that said the claimed weights were right on.

#20 ·
craigstr said:
I'd stay away from the Halo Freedom's. I cracked three at the seam in one year. They arent welded, only pinned and brazed so the brazing cracks and you end up with only a pinned seam that you can actually see move if you try and twist it with your hands.
You are right, they are not welded, but the pinned seam appears very strong to me...like I said, I've been through a few of these, several that were heavily beat up and bent well beyond the point of retrueing, and I've never experienced the kind of movement you describe. Yes, the surface of the joint cracks, but as for movement...I've got an old one sitting right here, there sure isn't any play in the seam on that one...even though it's effectively "cracked". Anyway, just my two cent's, not claiming it's a full-on DH rim, but for the weight and cost it is a very good and dependable rim.

#22 ·
Iggz said:
You can get Supra D's in either 32 or 36 hole...

They're a teeny bit heavier than 721's but they're definitely stronger. No doubt in that whatsoever
I think supra d sounds like the best option then. A good compromise between weight and strength. That and they are cheaper than the 721's and the ex500's.

so with switching from my mtx 33's with champion spokes and brass nipples to supra d's with comp spokes and aluminum nipples I should save about 1/2 a lb or so.

As for the freedoms, I prefer a welded rim so I think I will pass on those

#23 ·
just started running superstar dh-595 rims, pretty light (610grams), good price and i'm yet to give them a decent ding (i normally manage that on firs ride with new wheels)

but not been impressed by dt swiss comp spokes, i sheered 4 yesterday railing a berm so my wheels have gone back or rebuilding already.

#24 ·
If you want Sun rims, look at the Equalizer series instead of MTX. I've been running Equalizer 31's on my DH bike for a couple of years. They are listed at 546g each, and from my experience that's about right.

I have bent a couple of rear rims when casing jumps a local trails, but I don't think any rim would survive that (20+ ft jump with lander built behind a log). I know my whole wheelset built on Hope Hubs, DT Comp spokes, brass nipples, and EQ31 rims weighs right at 1900g. I weigh 190lbs. You might also consider the EQ29 if you are lighter.

If you sign up on hookit.com you should be able to get them for a good price from the Sun Store on there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.