Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Heat slowing you down, or in your head?

775 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Mtn-Rider 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Interesting, but with a sample that small I wouldn't look too much into it. Not a huge surprise that riding in 78 degree weather vs 88 degree weather isn't that different. Not to mention it was for a pretty short period of time. They should have had another room at 115 for several hours then see if the heat is just in their head.

#4 ·
This goes along with my newly discovered advice which I'm dishing out for free....if you want to go longer....stop looking at numbers.....that goes for temp, GPS mileage, elevation, etc.

Just ride....you'll be amazed how far you can go as long as you zone out and just enjoy the scenery....

Furthermore...if you think you're going to have a crappy ride....guess what, your ride will be crappy. If you're supper stoked to go for a ride this afternoon....guess what....a flat tire is not going to ruin that.

#5 ·
Maadjurguer said:
This goes along with my newly discovered advice which I'm dishing out for free....if you want to go longer....stop looking at numbers.....that goes for temp, GPS mileage, elevation, etc.

Just ride....you'll be amazed how far you can go as long as you zone out....

Furthermore...if you think you're going to have a crappy ride....guess what, your ride will be crappy. If you're supper stoked to go for a ride this afternoon....guess what....a flat tire is not going to ruin that.
I watch the GPS data pretty closely, and I'm riding further and faster than I ever have. Do agree with the zone out to some degree though, I put an earbud in my drivetrain side and leave the other open, music or podcast goes a long way on a long ride.

#6 ·
@randy.....drop the gps into a pocket so you can't see it...and just ride....or just put it on the map display.....stopping the number mind game is the thing.....our minds are conditioned to take it easy on our bodies when there is no solid reward (like a dead, woolly mammoth). We limit ourselves in so many ways based on our own, constructed boundaries which are personal to each of us. I'm not talking "The Secret"....that's crap....what I am talkin'bout, is cutting out the lanes we define for ourselves in a time before we knew how wide those lanes could become......I still struggle with the lanes I defined for myself in my early days on the bike.....

It's up to you if that woolly mammoth becomes the beer at the end of an AES ride or a brand new name tag....either way....the "woolly mammoth" is only in your mind....find one...and ride towards it.

#7 ·
Maadjurguer said:
@randy.....drop the gps into a pocket so you can't see it...and just ride....or just put it on the map display.....stopping the number mind game is the thing.....our minds are conditioned to take it easy on our bodies when there is no solid reward (like a dead, woolly mammoth). We limit ourselves in so many ways based on our own, constructed boundaries which are personal to each of us. I'm not talking "The Secret"....that's crap....what I am talkin'bout, is cutting out the lanes we define for ourselves in a time before we knew how wide those lanes could become......I still struggle with the lanes I defined for myself in my early days on the bike.....

It's up to you if that woolly mammoth becomes the beer at the end of an AES ride or a brand new name tag....either way....the "woolly mammoth" is only in your mind....find one...and ride towards it.
Maad,

That is just rock solid advice.

I took all the electronic devices off several years ago and ride to how I feel, They all have their place when event training or zone training but dang.....You ride for your soul....and another world opens up.

Steve.

#8 ·
chipolopolo said:
Maad,

That is just rock solid advice.

I took all the electronic devices off several years ago and ride to how I feel, They all have their place when event training or zone training but dang.....You ride for your soul....and another world opens up.

Steve.
Rock on.....we'll ride.....just give it time...I'm on a vagabond schedule....does not mesh well with folks with REAL responsibilities.......I need, perhaps a longer lead time...than folks with jobs....that's the irony in being unemployed this long....my cycle is based on my body and what I need....not what a job, what bills or what the world needs.......I'd like to think that I could become a testbed for all of us who would like to get "Out There"....more to come.....

#9 ·
Maadjurguer said:

Just ride....you'll be amazed how far you can go as long as you zone out and just enjoy the scenery....
For the long rides I definitely agree. The Whiskey 50 was the first long ride I didn't have a a gps mounted on my handlebars and about the time I figured we had about 10 miles left we hit the pavement and finished the ride. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.