Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My Yeti ASR Project

965 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Grave9 
#1 ·
I posted this on the Yeti board, but it didn't get much attention. I guess they only like to see new bikes. I'm very happy with the way the bike came out and I want to share the results with my Arizona friends.

I had the bike painted by Dale, https://1offpowdercoating.com/Home_Page.php
If you click the Gallery button you will see my bike along with some others that he has painted. Thinks Latedropbob for posting your bike months ago.

So, I love my 07 ASR. I've had it since it was new, I bought it in February 2008. It came with an 08 Race build but it was and is an 07 front triangle. For 2.5 years it was my only ride. I rode 2 seasons of XC first as a beginner and the next in CATII. I also rode several endurance races including a 12 hour solo and a 24 hour as a two man team. At the 2 year mark the front triangle was replace due to a cracked weld which Yeti warrantied. It was ridden hard and put away wet many times.

So a year ago this month I got a smoking deal on a 575 built with Saint crank, breaks and rear derailleur, an XT AM wheel set. The ASR took a back seat...To say the least. Two months ago I bought a new (new to me) Look road bike. In order to buy that one I had to promise my wife that I would not buy any more bikes for a while.
Sooooooooo, yeti comes out with the 5 and a 29er. And I'm jones'n for some'pun new. I decided to rebuild the ol ASR, and I couldn't be happier with that choice.

Here's the rebuild plan.
I upgraded the drive train a year ago with Sram XO shifters and derailleur and a Sram 990 cassette. These parts had very little mileage on them so I made no changes. I also kept the XT breaks, I was able to get some new housing covers for the breaks making them look very clean. I also got a new bolt and bearing kit from Yeti and swapped those out. Also Chris King Headset and bottom bracket in matching blue.

I painted the frame Electric Blue and the fork white as it was originally. I sent the fork and the shock to Push and had them do their magic. I love push.

Much more to this story but I don't have much time....so on to the pictures.
What do you think?

You may notice the XT right break on the 575. I cound never got the Saint break to work on the rear. That is to say it works great but it would constantly whine making everyone I ever roke with ask what the problem was. Yeti said it must be to much break fo rthe bike. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to put it back on.....

See less See more
#4 ·
Blantant, it may have been you that put the link up for Dales website, but I do remember Bob telling me about it. And yeah Dale does nice work.

Kelstr, it was cool to meet you on Tuesday, I looked back on my garmin log and I have done it faster before but that was a fast one and I've been off the bike for 12 days before that, so it was a good time. I'll keep in touch, we need to ride more.

#7 ·
As a fellow Yeti owner all I can say is very nice! As far as the brakes, I had the same issue with my elixirs. I switched to organic pads and sanded the heck out of the rotors. Also used hayes rotors vs avid. This seemed to take out about 75% of the whining.

#8 ·
azdog said:
As a fellow Yeti owner all I can say is very nice! As far as the brakes, I had the same issue with my elixirs. I switched to organic pads and sanded the heck out of the rotors. Also used hayes rotors vs avid. This seemed to take out about 75% of the whining.
Hey thanks, with all the new bearings and the suspension components Pushed the ride is better than ever. I did spend around $1000 bucks on this project, but to buy a new bike of this level would be a lot me than that, and it feels like a new bike to me.

About the break, I tried every thing I could think of, different sizes and brands of rotors, Different pads, organic metallic and even a brand other than Shimano. I even swapped the caliper from the front to the rear. I tried the rear wheel from the ASR and nothing ever helped. I'm living with the XT break for now but I may try to figure out something later. I can sure feel the difference in the power with the XT, it sucks in comparison.

#9 ·
surfndav said:
About the break, I tried every thing I could think of, different sizes and brands of rotors, Different pads, organic metallic and even a brand other than Shimano. I even swapped the caliper from the front to the rear. I tried the rear wheel from the ASR and nothing ever helped. I'm living with the XT break for now but I may try to figure out something later. I can sure feel the difference in the power with the XT, it sucks in comparison.
Hmm...have you tried a different mount (shimano/hayes/avid) when you switched calipers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.