Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Okay okay

4K views 87 replies 39 participants last post by  blue109 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have gotten a number of emails asking about my handle under my username........

Long story short ...it seems there are a handful of people or so who think that I am part of gnargnartours.....Welll hate to break it to ya but I am not ...never was and don't plan to ever be...My handle is there to let those who don't know ,know .... I got tired of getting emails threating me/my family /or things I built because they think I am part of gnargnar's tours in there areas which they are unhappy about.

I am not going to get into the details of those issues or my feelings. I just wanted to let you all know so I can stop getting emails from people crying about how it looks bad ect ect ect .

#3 ·
For those that don't know, GnarGnar is the company that charges a yearly fee for unlimited shuttles up somo every Wednesday and Saturday.

The park makes zero $ off of them and over time they tear up the road that will sooner be closed than re-paved.

Feel free to complain to the somo rangers about this.

#5 ·
AZspeeding said:
For those that don't know, GnarGnar is the company that charges a yearly fee for unlimited shuttles up somo every Wednesday and Saturday.

The park makes zero $ off of them and over time they tear up the road that will sooner be closed than re-paved.

this is why airports charge landing fees based upon the gross weight of a plane...
putting down a 747 at a major class B airport will run you 5 figures per landing.

#6 ·
AZspeeding said:

Are you saying that there is a commercial shuttle operating on public roadways that is not licensed? That statement seems suspect.

#8 ·
That looks to a large bucket of popcorn you have there Grave. Are you one of those large people in the movie theater that continously refill those things in a 1 1/2 movie. If so can I have some cause this looks to be a good here.

#9 ·
Dayum people... Some dudes get together with a van and a trailer to support the DH/ FR crowd then ask for donations for gas and repair insurance and you start getting all political.

You complain about not having bike parks, not having more cartered events. Then, also complain about how Sunrise ski resort is not worth our money and should go to other places in other states.

Its no wonder why Arizona is so far behind the power curve.

#10 ·
kubo said:
Dayum people... Some dudes get together with a van and a trailer to support the DH/ FR crowd then ask for donations for gas and repair insurance and you start getting all political.

You complain about not having bike parks, not having more cartered events. Then, also complain about how Sunrise ski resort is not worth our money and should go to other places in other states.

Already got my reservations for Keystone and WinterPark this summer:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#11 ·
doodooboi said:
That looks to a large bucket of popcorn you have there Grave. Are you one of those large people in the movie theater that continously refill those things in a 1 1/2 movie. If so can I have some cause this looks to be a good here.
Yes, but only because I cut a hole in the bottom of it :D You want some popcorn? :thumbsup:

#12 ·
kubo said:

That's odd. I've never really felt I don't have the opportunity to ride my bike.

#13 · (Edited)
My guess is that the SoMo rangers have a clue to what is going on and they have decided that it is OK. It's not like they're sneaking into the park to do this.
Do the math on what it would take to make a profit operating a 2 day per week shuttle service on SoMo. If GnarGnar was doing this with the goal of making a profit their business would fail quick.
I'm no shuttle guy at all, but getting pissed about the GnarGnar van smells of bored house husband/wife stuff. If the park had a problem with it they would stop it.

#14 ·
skinny-tire said:
That's odd. I've never really felt I don't have the opportunity to ride my bike.
You're kidding me right.

I thought it was only the forest service that liked to lump all types of mountain bikers into 1 category...

I like to all types of mountain biking... but all uses different types of bikes, different trails. Its all different. To claim that one is better/ funner/ cooler is just dumb.

#15 ·
azdog said:
Already got my reservations for Keystone and WinterPark this summer:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I got my reservations for Northstar! :thumbsup:

But I would still like to see something in my own back yard... and the FGRO meeting made it clear that snowbowl is at least 3 years away. Its because they need to make sure they are covered in all areas just in case the complainers want a peice of the action.

#16 ·
kubo said:
I like to all types of mountain biking... but all uses different types of bikes, different trails. Its all different.
Say's who? I never said one is better, more fun, etc. I just said I never felt like I don't have the opportunity to ride my bike. I'm just amazed at how some piss and moan about how bad we have it.

#18 ·
AZspeeding said:

Feel free to complain to them about what exactly?

#20 ·
adding little of use here

Just to derail an already sideways thread...

etc. is et cetera from the Latin and the rest usually used to refer to unspecified things that the author is too lazy to cite, believes the reader will figure out themselves, or perehaps the list really doesn't matter in the context of the associated statement.

ect seems to be used in place of etc.. The first thing that comes to mind for ECT is electroconvulsive therapy, a.k.a. shock treatment. Maybe this was the intent, not sure, just seeking to disambiguate in an already far too ambiguous world.

Carry on.

#21 ·
AZspeeding said:

Total d!ck-move, not to mention being factually incorrect. Yearly fee? Really? Hmmm.

I just got home from riding the van and I've never heard of a "yearly fee." Tear up the road? How? By driving on it? That's like suggesting we tear up rocks by riding bikes on them. Wait, you probably believe that, too.

Oddly, I think several of spoke to two or three Rangers this morning. All were very friendly.

#23 ·
DesertCrawler said:
Just to derail an already sideways thread...

etc. is et cetera from the Latin and the rest usually used to refer to unspecified things that the author is too lazy to cite, believes the reader will figure out themselves, or perehaps the list really doesn't matter in the context of the associated statement.
SAY WHAT! I like latinas.

#24 ·
Blatant said:
Total d!ck-move, not to mention being factually incorrect. Yearly fee? Really? Hmmm.

I just got home from riding the van and I've never heard of a "yearly fee." Tear up the road? How? By driving on it? That's like suggesting we tear up rocks by riding bikes on them. Wait, you probably believe that, too.

Oddly, I think several of spoke to two or three Rangers this morning. All were very friendly.
Total d!ck move? Let's move on over to what gnargnar's site has to offer, shall we...

"Annual Pass Pricing

$260 for the rest of the year till Dec. 31st, 2011
$350 for an entire year to date!"

Oh my lord!, it's posted on the site! Oh me oh my...I guess that make me the dick for posting their prices! Scandal.

A ranger making park rules is like saying that a beat cop makes laws. It doesn't matter if rangers like you, it matters if everyone else likes you. Really, this has to be explained to you?

Donations for gas/upkeep are great! Flat fees for for-profit DBs can ruin it for everyone.

"concrete/asphalt" does not last 20 years.

The city had to lay off a chunk of its staff and close a brand NEW visitor's center, do you think that the road up to the towers for the public makes them money? I'm pretty sure that the electronics pay for everything. The easiest solution would be to close the road to all but service trucks.

As long as the regular shuttles don't try to pass on blind turns...I really don't care. Everyone has the right to complain for a service (the park) for which they pay. I'm sure you'd complain if two days a week, every week, you'd encounter the same 10 people walking up and down the road taking both lanes. A stretch of an example, but you see how you'd have the right to complain.

Now calm down already...there are far more important things to be upset about in life. Take a step back, realize that you're on an internet forum, and calm down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.