Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Arizona Freeride Park. The next step!!!

5K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  ROrtiz10 
#1 ·
Ok. So it has been a long time since I annoyed you guys with ideas for your local freeride bike park. I have been talking to possible investors and the next step for me is to get actual input from those interested. Along with this thread, I will eventually being putting together feedback forms to hand out to LBS that want to participate.

I would like you guys to answer a few quick questions in this thread as well as any input or ideas that you want addressed asap. Thanks so much for your help

1. Have you traveled outside of the valley to ride ride freeride trails

2. On a scale of 1-10 (1 lowest) how would you rate your riding skills?

3. What types of features would you like to see in a freeride park?

4. Would you say that the need for freeriders and skills progression is being met in the valley??

5. What would you pay for a monthly pass?

This will most likely be on a large flat area using mainly dirt for elevation changes. As of right now features to be included:

Multiple pump tracks
Dirt Jumps
Skills area
Freeride flow sections ( think dirt jumps, but drops, ladders and wall rides)
Race course

I of course I can not compete with local trails, I will however be providing freeride sections for every skill level and hopefully new features thought up by my customers.

Thanks for your time.

See less See more
#15 ·

in the Valley, outside the Valley, the world is one big freeride trail when you are a rad as me. You need to dream bigger!

11! no, eff that, I'm an 11.5!

kegerators, dollar whores from Thailand, and some bass-bumping tunage

4. Would you say that the need for freeriders and skills progression is being met in the valley??

phoock no! NRA is for panty-wastes, Papago is lame, pump tracks are just plain soft. I been everywhere, and I'm standing tall. I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!

not a friggin dime, I'm so gnar y'all need to pay me!

#2 ·
Ohhh Dear....where should I start.......the truth, perhaps. AZnewbie......you need to tighten your "questionnaire" considerably......until then, you will have the Peanut Gallery.

Enjoy!

PS....I appreciate your " je ne sais quoi".....but you gotta target.......tighten it up.....tight like tiger........TIGHT!!!!!!

#4 · (Edited)
AZnewbie said:
Not sure why I would need to tighten this up.

These are pretty much the exact questions my possible investors were asking me. They wanted to know the level of riders I was talking to, what they want, how much they would pay and if there were places they were going to, to get their needs met already.

Ill be the first to say I am not great with getting my thoughts onto paper, but This questionnaire would be getting the money I need to start this to possibly start rolling in.
PM me if you have questions....this is my kind of thing....if you are at all serious, we'll work out a writing arrangement.....

So what is it?????

#8 ·
Multiple pump tracks
Dirt Jumps
Skills area
Race course
....end quote...AZnewbie

thank you for your dedication to such a huge task..sounds like my house, plus a huge fom pit..i prob will not make it to such a park in AZ, since i already got one!!!
buy some land, build whatever your heart desires, advance your skills without ever leaving home...
good luck
j

#10 ·
If it's flat land you can't do a real 4 cross track unfortunately. I would love to ride jump lines that flow really well where you don't have to peddle. Some Crankworks type of wood ramps would be sweet where you jump up and out. Beginner/ intermediate pump track as well as a pro pump track with massive step ups and doubles(going back to the flowy jump lines). A mini Strider bike track for the tiny ones. A foam pit or air bag would be epic!!! It would be bad ass to even add some wood lines like Ray's or Joyride 150.

#12 ·
AZnewbie said:
Ok. So it has been a long time since I annoyed you guys with ideas for your local freeride bike park. I have been talking to possible investors and the next step for me is to get actual input from those interested. Along with this thread, I will eventually being putting together feedback forms to hand out to LBS that want to participate.

I would like you guys to answer a few quick questions in this thread as well as any input or ideas that you want addressed asap. Thanks so much for your help

This will most likely be on a large flat area using mainly dirt for elevation changes. As of right now features to be included:

Multiple pump tracks
Dirt Jumps
Skills area
Race course

I of course I can not compete with local trails, I will however be providing freeride sections for every skill level and hopefully new features thought up by my customers.

Thanks for your time.
1. Yes
2. 5-8 depending on the day
3. Types of features ...ah the standard stuff man, drops,jumps,doubles,tables,hips,wallrides you name it the more the merrier
4. Barely but not on a legit level... better than it was 5 years ago also the amount of fr/dh riders has gone thru the roof.

5.hmm what I would pay for a monthly pass depends on what is avail to ride. but I would figure if it was a monthly deal you be lucky to get 30 from myself. It would do better with daily fee's with options of discounted monthly rates. But then still everything comes down to whats avail and the accomadtions. Will there be a concession on location?

#13 ·
1. Not yet. Moved to AZ last summer. Soon...
2. 5 and getting better
3. I answered this one above
4. NO. The few trails (if there's even more than 2) with jump lines, burms, drops, and wood features are illegal.
5. I would pay $5-$10 for a day pass. More if the place is epic!

#14 ·
1. Yes
2. 7
3. ladders, step up to step down, drops, massive dirt jumps, foam pit?, pump tracks
4. No, FR and DH riders are growing, I know I'm new to the sport and progressing fast with my skills
5. I would pay anything considering this would be the only place like it in Arizona.

#18 ·
AZ - you might check out an area off of T100 by Pointe Tapatio - east of the horse corral there is some fenced property not being used...maybe you could work out a lease? We actually thought of this area about a year ago for a park but it got lost in the mad rush of life. I believe it has water and electricity.

#20 ·
Forgive me if this has been covered...

AZnewb- have you reached out to the BMX community yet? Pump tracks and dirt jumps would bring them in and increase the amount of unique users. Obviously that means more revenue.

I still think Speedworld or Grindingstone would be good spots for affordable rent/lease option, and water and electricity are there. I am a freerider in the sense that I ride whatever I want!
1-Yes
2-7
3-things you don't find on a legal trail
4-For those who are dedicated- they will always find a way. For the Performance Bike crowd-no because they dono't know where to go, who to talk to for help etc. I would think a majority of your customers will not be from here (we'll go-but be outnumbered by them)
5-$25 for a month $5 for a visit

Oh and I like safety meetings too.
5-

#21 ·
Love AZ. Im not sure which property you are talking about, but ill look up the tax map when i get home and see who owns.

Cstem. Speed world is not an option because of some crazy fly zone issues with the airforce base. I have been talking with grindstone and it is a possibility.

As for the BMX crowd, I haven't talked too much about that in here since this was the MTB forum, but I have a few ideas that include a real sttreet course with stuff you find in real life, but you can session without getting thrown out, as well as dirt jumps catered to the BMX only group, steep and tall as opposed to MTB booters.

Things are coming along nicely and I am hoping some key elements fall into place. feel free to PM with any questions.

#25 ·
Have you looked at leasing one of the many empty Walmarts around the valley? Lots of foot print, indoors, lighted for night use, secure when closed (a plus with insurance companies making your premium a little less), plumbed with water, restrooms, A/C if you choose to run it, etc.

There is one on 7th ave and Bell that would be perfect! Also a huge old Costco on 59th and Bell

#26 ·
^^This. Any landlord that can see the light, should be willing to rent these spaces out under market value. Given the right agreement one of these colossal land masses could be put to good use! :thumbsup: Two story drop...anyone, anyone, Bueller?

#27 ·
I may have gotten Speedworld confused. There is a race track and property just south of Luke AFB. When I spoke with the zoning people they said there were tons of regulations on how many people and what they re doing in that zone. Too expensive to jump though those hurdles.

As for renting out indoor properties, There is no way this model could afford that. You would need to sign a lease with them for anywhere fromr 2%-10% of what they would normally make there. You also make the place filthy with dirt and construction. Just not an option. Plus the utilities are huge as well.

#28 ·
The track you are thinking of is the road course- nice facility but going no where fast for sure. Try Speedworld!

I would still look at indoor. There are so many vacant big boxes and warehouses throughout the valley, you may find a really smoking deal (especially if they like to ride). And indoor facility in the summer-even without A/C- will be popular and may see more users due to the shade alone. I would look at it this way- every hot day like today at an outdoor site would not make any money for at least 10 hours a day. The property is sitting there not in use at a time when people are awake to use it. BMX kids don't like to wilt in the summer either- just drive by a city skate/bike park at noon-empty. This is why indoor karting places still thrive. As far as dirt and mess- they are going to make you put up a big deposit for that I am sure. Maybe you have really looked hard at it-but if you haven't done a full business plan on an indoor site- you may be screwing yourself.

#29 ·
On Hwy 51 and Cactus there is a large free standing building that at one time was a SuperK-Mart. They never did much business and the lease ended up with a Sears Outlet Store moving in 2.5 years ago. The parking lot still sits empty everyday including weekends. I would imagine Sears wants out of their lease and would take a hit on a sub-lease to mitigate the losses. Maybe they may even be interested in sponsoring the park.
"The Sears Jump-Hard Die-Hard Craftsman Black 'N Decker Bike Park ":D

#30 ·
Crazier things have happened. Corporate sponsors are good. I suggest looking at business models that have used by Tony Hawk and his foundation that builds skate parks. They get lots of local business help and even large corporate sponsors. Donating Craftsman wood working tools say would be tax deductible to them, then they also fund a little for naming rights and that is advertising- also a deductible item.

Jibro- i want a copy of your avatar!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.