Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

MBAA Flagstaff 2011 Race

2K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  mtbkracr 
#1 ·
Course has been approved thanks to Linden Lane! I have attempted to map out the expert course. You can see here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/86150923 or see if attached GPX file works. Sport will skip Rocky Ridge come back to start after coming down Shultz while experts go up Dogfood to Lower Moto to finish. Track has extra near end coming down Moto where I missed right turn back to finish.

Attachments

#2 ·
I really think it's cool that folks want to ride MBAA....but at the same time....it does you no favors when you announce your races from the standpoint of a newb......and at the last minute......

If I ran MBAA....I'd become established in every community possible....I'd make myself familiar with every source of income, promotion and vibe possible.

Given that I used to do this....and do it well....I think you are failing in this endevour....your "#1" post is proof positive that MBAA has not penetrated the AZ Forum......and your first response will probably be a "yea-but"...........but that's just an excuse.

I wish you all well, really...just think that you all are blundering about without a clear goal......I think I have one for you.......

Cheers,

MaadJurguer

#6 ·
chrisgrove said:
Course has been approved thanks to Linden Lane! I have attempted to map out the expert course. You can see here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/86150923 or see if attached GPX file works. Sport will skip Rocky Ridge come back to start after coming down Shultz while experts go up Dogfood to Lower Moto to finish. Track has extra near end coming down Moto where I missed right turn back to finish.
Wow! An MBAA race on Elden trails? Almost makes me want to come out and race again.... What weekend is this race?

#7 ·
Certainly not picking sides here (that's not my style), but technically the Flagstaff (and all the 2011 MBAA races actually) were orginally announced in late 2010, or at least Jan 2011. The issue (I'm assuming here) is getting the venue, permits, and course laid out. Considering what happened last year (late snow, followed by fires) I wouldn't be surprised if the FS really held out on finalizing everything unitl they were certain.

MBAA is doing much better this year. They've had one big issue (the timing chip battery death issue at McDowell) and the limitations on trying to race up Four Peaks that ultimately caused it's cancellation. Yes the timing chip thing could have been avoided, but overall, the only two issues were largely out of the organizers control. Results have been up timely, and accurate, with the main issues being caused by guys not turning in their chip when they DNF or cutting the course (usually accidently). Even then, they have been worked out quickly and efficiently.

Obviously MBAA has no control over gas prices or the economy, which I'm guessing is resulting in a lower than desired turn-out, but overall, the racing has been good, fun and very much worth it this year.

There's no question that racing is not "huge" in AZ, but at least we have some. Eight MBAA races, plus the DD series (which looks like only two races now) and a few others scattered is a lot more than nothing! I follow the AZ forum, but notice that weeks will go buy without much mention of racing, even longer in the off-season, so there's no question that we are in the minority.

#8 ·
chrisgrove said:
Dang! Avg HR of 220 and max of 255! :eekster: Your HR plot doesn't really indicate that..maybe something wrong with your strap?

And 41.6 mph max speed...that's pretty darn quick on a mtb. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
I guess my comment was a bit harsh......it seems to me that MBAA lacks a consistent face in terms of outreach....or at least, that is what it seems like to me looking at it from the outside. When a message goes out promoting this or that, it should at least have a date attached and some other links to draw folks into the MBAA site or specific race site......these are just thoughts....

#14 ·
On behalf of the MBAA...the race date was set in November the course unfortunately was not approved by the Forest Service until now. A few of the main things...the Forest Service wanted to wait and see what condition the trails were in after the snow melt and runoff since the fires last summer before approving any we could use to make a course and the pesky owl mating season.

The lack of full, constant, promotion of the MBAA series through this season was not an afterthought. There has been a constant decline in XC racing across the country and we, the MBAA board, wanted to do it right before we went all out to get everyone back in the fold. This slow roll-out season gave us a chance to get settled in, get the series back to the basics and back on track. Hub Event Productions has gone above and beyond with the timing, even giving lap times. We squared away most of the other little issues that came up at McDowell and even offered a 'buy 3 get 1 free' special to try and help out with the cost of racing. I think if any of you that showed up at McDowell and said "Screw this" came back to another one of our events you would be more than pleasantly surprised.

-Jon

#15 ·
Well said Jon.

Yep the timing issue at McDowells was on us. We fixed the root cause there and owned up to our mistakes...and got better. Now we have lap times for everyone...to my knowledge that has not happened in the history of the MBAA.

For 2011, the board gave you a new venue at Globe, new courses in Flag (thank you Linden), discounts to first timers ($20), and an offer to Buy 3 get 1 free for the 2nd half of the year. You may have also seen a few ads on FB, discounts from your LBS on the website (must show mbaa card) and within the last few months eblasts to keep the rider database updated with the latest points, offers and other events.

Yes, there are ways the MBAA needs to improve...I encourage anyone out there with ideas to keep 'em coming at MBAA, join the board and help take action to make it better.

See ya at Prescott.:thumbsup:

#17 ·
slugobikes said:
One more thing. We are not thin skinned or easily offended so feel free to post up suggestions, complaints and even compliments here or on our Facebook page.
OK, I don't like the $20 tax on non-MBAA members. I live in NM and went to the Sierra Vista XC (and Super D) last year and liked it. This year I went to TBC, which cost as much for 3 races as the Sierra Vista XC would have been. It sucked.... but I hadn't done it in a while, so I thought why not.

I can afford $20, but it seems steep for someone only doing one or two races a year. You could change it to an "unattached" fee of $5 a race and still stick it to the non-MBAA members, but get more of them to come. Otherwise, keep up the good work.

#19 ·
slugobikes said:
One more thing. We are not thin skinned or easily offended so feel free to post up suggestions, complaints and even compliments here or on our Facebook page.
I know the Flag course just got approved, but will you be putting up a PDF of it? The gpx file is cool and all, but not all of us are familiar with the trails, so I'm not 100% sure what the sport class loop will be?

#22 ·
huh.... so still no mention of what weekend to expect the Flag race and no website linkie to get me to the goods quickly without having to resort to google. That's ok... my XC racing days are long over. But I might like to make sure I plan my summer Flag weekends around that race, so if you get around to it please post the date of this thing! thx.

#24 ·
DurtGurl said:
huh.... so still no mention of what weekend to expect the Flag race and no website linkie to get me to the goods quickly without having to resort to google. That's ok... my XC racing days are long over. But I might like to make sure I plan my summer Flag weekends around that race, so if you get around to it please post the date of this thing! thx.
It's all under the 'racing' tab on the MBAA website. Maps for Flagstaff will be finalized after the Prescott race Saturday and should be up Monday evening.

http://mbaa.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=20&Itemid=35

#25 ·
I think MBAA is doing an oustanding job this year! :thumbsup: Everything has been running so smoothly, the timing has been accurate, and the results and info has been updated in a very timely manner.......great job guys! And if that isn't enough to make you give them enouther try, they always have something cool up their sleeves. Last year I won this sweet ride donated by DNA......now get out there and race!!!! :D By the way, Fagstaff info and course maps are up.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.