Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Monday night entertainment at Rage

4K views 66 replies 31 participants last post by  WhiskersOfDeath 
#1 ·
So I cruise over to the pump track behind Rage last night to work on improving my skills like I have been the last few Monday nights and it was packed. A lot of really good, smooth riders out there as always including two girls. One of the girls was kind of quiet and just took her turn on the track when it came up and did her thing. She rides really well and it was cool to see a female holding her own with all the dudes out there. The other chick, well, I didn't ever see her ride but she was out there standing with her bike between her legs with her helmet buckled over her baseball cap. Man, this girl could talk and talk LOUD. And the way she talked, she must have been the best rider out there. In fact, from the way it sounded she was good enough to give Melissa Buhl a run for her money. I tried to stick around long enough to see this girl shred but I don't think the track was ever empty long enough for her to be able to make a run.

#4 ·
mtbkracr said:
So I cruise over to the pump track behind Rage last night to work on improving my skills like I have been the last few Monday nights and it was packed. A lot of really good, smooth riders out there as always including two girls. One of the girls was kind of quiet and just took her turn on the track when it came up and did her thing. She rides really well and it was cool to see a female holding her own with all the dudes out there. The other chick, well, I didn't ever see her ride but she was out there standing with her bike between her legs with her helmet buckled over her baseball cap. Man, this girl could talk and talk LOUD. And the way she talked, she must have been the best rider out there. In fact, from the way it sounded she was good enough to give Melissa Buhl a run for her money. I tried to stick around long enough to see this girl shred but I don't think the track was ever empty long enough for her to be able to make a run.
Dooosh...

#8 ·
DurtGurl said:
Nice of you to bring a loud and proud female rider to our attention. Can't say I've ever seen a guy act like that... Nope, none of you guys are like that, at all :winker:
Nice!
So, where is this track? I am not really a new rider but I am just getting back into it after nearly 2 years of not ridiing from an injury. I am trying to get back in shape as well as working on getting my skills back. Sounds like a cool place to practice and pick-up on other peoples techniques. Would anyone mind filling me in? I am a girl as well but I will try not to show off or raise my voice.:rolleyes:

#9 ·
AzKennedy said:
Nice!
So, where is this track? I am not really a new rider but I am just getting back into it after nearly 2 years of not ridiing from an injury. I am trying to get back in shape as well as working on getting my skills back. Sounds like a cool place to practice and pick-up on other peoples techniques. Would anyone mind filling me in? I am a girl as well but I will try not to show off or raise my voice.:rolleyes:
At Rage Cycles on Scottsdale Rd just a little south of Thomas. It's on the West side of Scottsdale Rd, third building from the intersection- McDonalds, Dirty Drummer (bar), RAGE.

#10 ·
DG, Your absolutely right, the ratio of guys to girls who spend a little too much time patting themselves on the back is probably 5:1.

Cholla, I've been out there the last three weeks on a rigid blue Fetish 26" BMX bike with a number plate on it.

Skidhucker, I'm not trying to be but you might be right, I have a tough time telling when I myself am being a *****.

A.P.B., I guess the point I am trying to make is that (and this is just my opinion) while there is nothing wrong with tooting your own horn a bit and being proud of your abilities and accomplishments. If all you do is brag about your incredible skills and invalidate other riders abilities in the process, you may not always earn the respect of the people around you. Last night wasn't the first time I have shared space with this girl and I just found it interesting (and entertaining) that she goes so far out of her way to talk about how good she is. I'll be honest, I don't know how good she really is, we were actually supposed to ride in Sedona together back in November but she couldn't make it because she didn't know where the trail was or one of our mutual friends she was with was too chicken to ride the trail we were doing that day or something. Who knows,I don't have anything personal against her and props to her if she is as awesome as she says she is. I have a lot of respect and admiration for those that have incredible bike handling skills and nerves of steel. I know I have a LONG way to go before I am even close to handling a bike as well as most of the regulars at the Rage pump track. I guess I tend to follow the Tinker Juarez philosophy over the Mark Cavandish philosophy.

#11 ·
mtbkracr said:
A.P.B., I guess the point I am trying to make is that (and this is just my opinion) while there is nothing wrong with tooting your own horn a bit and being proud of your abilities and accomplishments. If all you do is brag about your incredible skills and invalidate other riders abilities in the process, you may not always earn the respect of the people around you.
Hence my new signature. I think you said it a bit more articulately.

That said, I dig chicks who talk a big game.

#12 ·
mtbkracr said:
Cholla, I've been out there the last three weeks on a rigid blue Fetish 26" BMX bike with a number plate on it.

pink, blue...i was seeing stars that night. you may remember me as the guy who clipped a pedal on the wall and used his nuts to stop himself on his top tube. Nice running into you, see you out there.

#14 ·
mtbkracr said:
A.P.B., I guess the point I am trying to make is that (and this is just my opinion) while there is nothing wrong with tooting your own horn a bit and being proud of your abilities and accomplishments. If all you do is brag about your incredible skills and invalidate other riders abilities in the process, you may not always earn the respect of the people around you.
Well said and could be applied to someone else, in particular, who had several posts not too long ago.

#16 ·
Why call her out on a public forum why not ask her to tone it down when you are there? I still dont see the point Of you posting something we all deal with at some time or another with another human being, mostly when you could just talk to her Or not listen .
Anyway hope to see you guys up there next Monday I finally fixed my bike so I can ride again.:thumbsup:

#18 ·
A.P.B., It was not my intention to call her out in front of the entire public. I should have put a bit more thought into my original post to reflect that and I meant no harm to your friend. I just found it interesting that of the only two girls out there, they each represented opposite ends of a spectrum. See ya next Monday.

#21 ·
mtbkracr said:
A.P.B., It was not my intention to call her out in front of the entire public. I should have put a bit more thought into my original post to reflect that and I meant no harm to your friend. I just found it interesting that of the only two girls out there, they each represented opposite ends of a spectrum. See ya next Monday.
It's one thing to make that statement to one of your buddies if that's how you felt.

For you to post it on a public forum ... very lame! :rolleyes:

#22 ·
This thread has me thinking...
To all you lady mtb'ers out there. Have you ever been in a situation when a bunch of guy mtb'ers starting talking loudly and boasting about their biking abilities? I'm just wondering if this phenomen only occurs with ladies.
Personally, I can remember an instance when a lady rider refered to a mountain bike gathering as a "sausage-fest." I'm not sure what that meant. Perhaps it has some connection to this discussion.

#23 ·
chongoman said:
This thread has me thinking...
To all you lady mtb'ers out there. Have you ever been in a situation when a bunch of guy mtb'ers starting talking loudly and boasting about their biking abilities? I'm just wondering if this phenomen only occurs with ladies.
Personally, I can remember an instance when a lady rider refered to a mountain bike gathering as a "sausage-fest." I'm not sure what that meant. Perhaps it has some connection to this discussion.
I think I speak for all of us Peeing Standing Up crowd that I hate being treated like a piece of meat...unless we're talking Bacon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.