Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Clipless Pedals and Shoes

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  BigRuckus 
#1 ·
I am looking to purchase some clipless pedals and shoes.

I was looking at the shimano, look quartz and Crank Brothers for pedals. I have built my bike. it is a trek top fuel ssl MT. Bike. Right now I have know pedals. I am trying to find a pedal or shoe that I can make adjustments to as I have had some knee problems and I have read that some pedals cause knee problems.

Am I better off going with an egg beater or something with a base to it like the look quartz or a shimano spd?

I would also like to get some shoes. Maybe something softer.

If you have any insight that would be great!

Thank you!

#2 ·
I ride with Eggbeaters. While they're not adjustable, they do offer plenty of float and they click in and out easily. I don't miss any platform around them. If nothing else, I also have fewer pedal strikes with the smaller pedals.
My last couple pairs of shoes have been Shimano and Specialized BG Sports. Both are fine.

#3 ·
I don't find having any sort of cage around an SPD to be useful and more bulk equals more opportunity for pedal strikes. If you're not clipped into a clipless, your ability to keep feet on a clipless pedal is a challenge whether or not it has a cage around it.

I'm very pleased with my Specialized BG Comp shoes. The Sport models are good to, but not quite as comfy in the footbed to me.

#5 ·
The Shimano, Look and Crank Brothers pedals are all good options. If you are just starting out with clipless, the adjustability of the Shimano pedals along with the multi-directional SH-56 cleats make it easy to master clipless.

If you are looking for softer-soled MTB shoes, look at something like the Shimano MT-42 or the Lake MX-165. Both have rubber soles that make it easier to hike-a-bike yet still have some rigidity for efficient pedaling.

#6 ·
jeffj said:
I don't find having any sort of cage around an SPD to be useful and more bulk equals more opportunity for pedal strikes. If you're not clipped into a clipless, your ability to keep feet on a clipless pedal is a challenge whether or not it has a cage around it.

I'm very pleased with my Specialized BG Comp shoes. The Sport models are good to, but not quite as comfy in the footbed to me.
I agree, the platform on the CB candy is not exactly for riding unclipped, it gives support when you clip in. For the first timer I highly suggest the Shimano SPD they are great.

#7 ·
I will second the specialized bg comp's they are comfy for hike a bike when trouble happens on the trail and are great for commuting I use then every day for 2 years : D heaven on feet. but what out there "soft' shoes lol... ever walked 10 miles back to the truck in sidi's ??? well I have and lets just say I save my sidi's for a couple times a year like races/ events. i also run SPD religiously and find CRANK BRO's to be hypes up, I gave em a shot when I started and had issues for 6 months till switching to spd's and that was riding every day mind you. I found Crank bro's to have too soft a cleat and those cleats where toast in about a month of college commuting and mtb rides day in day out. Sidi is a reliable, safe and cost effective way to enjoy pedaling fast and clipped in. I think the basic 50 cleats with the shoes give enough platform and control that you will be fine. you go my route you will look back and laugh at the it ever being a decision. unless you ride in mud more than 2/3 times a week, then and only then would i switch to eggbeaters, and only the true egg beater design too not the candy crap. Crankbro's= mud riding spd=a way to live

#9 ·
For the shoes, get ones with velcro straps instead of laces. I got a pair of lace-ups b/c I thought they looked more like "regular" shoes. Nobody looks at your shoes anyway, and it's a pain to unlace them, put them on, lace them back up, tuck in the laces.... occasionally have to stop on the trail to tuck one back in. It's not like you're going to be wearing them anywhere else anyway except for maybe a convenience store.

Don't buy online unless you've tried the exact model on first. Bike shoes fit tighter than regular. Make sure your heel doesn't move very much at all.

I recommend Shimano M520s for the pedals. Cheap and indestructible, and very adjustable. Good "safe" 1st pair of pedals.

#11 ·
*cough* shimano is cake its like an extension of my body when i need to release takes like 30 min riding with em for any human to learn. Trick is unclipping one foot before stops keeping one clipped. I have only been stuck in cleats at low low speeds and improper setup, accidentally had it set too tight for new cleats as it was set tighter for older pair before I replaced em. best thing anyone can do if there getting serious into riding... on top of proper seat height.

#12 ·
Big Jim Slade said:
What would you recommend for somebody that dabs a lot and is scared of not being able to easily and quickly unclip when in trouble? Other than not falling...
See my post above.

Shimano M520's / M540's with SH 56 cleats. They are idiot proof clipless. No offense. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.