Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Saddle Recommendations?

2K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  jeffscott 
#1 ·
About two years ago, I paid $50 for a Specialized Saddle, but lately, my rear end is rather sore within about 15 miles of riding, so I think I need to swap it out for something else. Any recommendations on a good comfortable seat for under $50?

#2 ·
Comfort is all relative when it comes to saddles. One that might be great for you will be unpleasant for the next guy and vice versa. Your best bet is to see if any bike shops around you have demo saddles you can test out for a ride or two. Going with a LBS also gives you the luxury, the necessity, of having your sit bones measured so you can choose a saddle that is the right size for you. However, I have my doubts you'll be able to find a 'good' saddle in the <$50 range. 'Good enough' is another matter though.

#3 ·
Are you just coming back from a break from riding? You just have to HTFU and take it like a man for a week or two.

I don't think I've ever paid more than $30 for a saddle. ;) You can often get perfectly good ones from the new bike takeoff bin at the shop. When you find a saddle that works for you, set up a custom search for it on EBay and pick up a couple spares. These things go out of production way too often.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I might go the WTB route. My Windsor has a basic WTB model on it, and I think its more comfortable than my Specialized saddle on my other bike.

I don't know what it is, but I guess I must have a defective butt or something - the only saddles that don't usually give me problems are the really wide old style cruiser saddles, but that doesn't work very well with a MTB or hybrid. I've done the whole bike store/measure your butt thing, but that didn't seem to solve my problem. I think my "butt bones" just hit the saddle improperly or something like that.

Anyway, maybe "too much information" in my response here, but oh well...:eekster:

#13 ·
getagrip said:
I've done the whole bike store/measure your butt thing, but that didn't seem to solve my problem. I think my "butt bones" just hit the saddle improperly or something like that.
I think that a sit bone measurement only tells about half a story.

People who put in a lot of hours of riding often have a specific saddle they like, and are attached to. Well-funded people like that will equip their entire fleet with that saddle, which is nice for the rest of us because it keeps the new bike takeoff bin stocked...

Anyway, you need to find the right shell shape for you. WTB has a loaner program through some shops, which I think is pretty cool. A lot of shops will give you a return/exchange period on saddles that will let you do basically the same thing.

If this is a problem that goes away as soon as you've been riding regularly, though, I stand by my earlier trash-talking. ;)

#14 ·
AndrwSwitch said:
If this is a problem that goes away as soon as you've been riding regularly, though, I stand by my earlier trash-talking. ;)
Its pretty much always an issue, but I suppose this most recent episode could be because I haven't logged a lot of miles on the bikes lately because the weather has been so crappy here (I've ridden a total of about 350 miles since the end of January). I put on about 15 miles each day Friday and Saturday, plus another 27 on Sunday - the first two rides weren't that bad, but the last one was was the kicker. I have no problems when I sit down in a normal chair, even after riding for long distances - its when I get back on the bike that I have pain. Today, instead of riding the bike again, I decided to give my legs and rear end a rest and went frisbee golfing instead. Might head to the gym tomorrow and get back on the bike Wednesday - either that or just take the mountain bike on a short course rather than the longer road runs I do on the hybrid.

#15 ·
I think when it comes to saddles the term "Get what you pay for" is 100% true. You may be able to find a decent WTB or other brand on sale at your current price point but if you hold out and save another 50 a whole new saddle world will open up for you. As some others have stated fit is far more important than the amount of padding or perceived feel of the seat.

#16 ·
bclagge said:
However, I have my doubts you'll be able to find a 'good' saddle in the <$50 range. 'Good enough' is another matter though.
The cost of a saddle is not even remotely connected to comfort. I have three 100.00 + saddles sitting on my shelf. Aliante, Gobi and Silverado. They're OK saddles but not as comfortable as my 15.00 new bike take-off - A WTB Race Lite SST from around 2006. I made the mistake of not buying several of them.

#18 ·
bigbeck said:
The cost of a saddle is not even remotely connected to comfort. I have three 100.00 + saddles sitting on my shelf. Aliante, Gobi and Silverado. They're OK saddles but not as comfortable as my 15.00 new bike take-off - A WTB Race Lite SST from around 2006. I made the mistake of not buying several of them.
+1:thumbsup:

Good example would be the WTB there are several trims on the same model. The more expensive would have lighter material rail and other weight reductions. In fact the more expensive saddle the less comfortable it gets in the sense.

It also has to do with how many miles you put into your bike too, IME, the more I ride the less real estate I need. At the end of the season SI SLR feel comfortable, but not at the start of the season for sure.

#20 ·
bigbeck said:
Agreed. As I said, every saddle is different for everyone, so just because a saddle is expensive doesn't make it comfortable for you. Anywho, my comment about cost is directly related to his request for a "good" saddle.
Any recommendations on a good comfortable seat for under $50?
I have my doubts you'll be able to find a 'good' saddle in the <$50 range. 'Good enough' is another matter though.
How would one define good for a saddle, outside of comfort? Light and ergonomic are the two most important factors, imo, which you will see to varying but lesser degrees in inexpensive saddles. And by ergonomic I'm referring to blood flow to sensitive areas. I'd rather not have to deal with impotence because I like to ride ;).

#21 ·
getagrip said:
Its pretty much always an issue, but I suppose this most recent episode could be because I haven't logged a lot of miles on the bikes lately because the weather has been so crappy here (I've ridden a total of about 350 miles since the end of January). I put on about 15 miles each day Friday and Saturday, plus another 27 on Sunday - the first two rides weren't that bad, but the last one was was the kicker.Plenty of riding I have no problems when I sit down in a normal chair, even after riding for long distances - its when I get back on the bike that I have pain. Today, instead of riding the bike again, I decided to give my legs and rear end a rest and went frisbee golfing instead. Might head to the gym tomorrow and get back on the bike Wednesday - either that or just take the mountain bike on a short course rather than the longer road runs I do on the hybrid.
You need to describe the pain....

WTB might work or it might not..just depends....

You seat might be too low or high..it might be too far back or forward...

If the seat feels narrow it probably is...but if you put the seat forward a bit you may end up sitting on the wider and possible correct area of the seat....

It could take a while too luck onto the right seat for you and its placement.

On the other hand you could get out there and spend a day comparing your saddle with a wider saddle.....and of course a hex key and vary some things.

#22 ·
I think I'm going to go with one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300554083929&category=22693&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/WTB-SPEED-V-PRO...&otn=5&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=9060724989212881468

Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm assuming that in most cases, a gel saddle will generally be more comfortable than a non-gel saddle. I might go with this one as well, but it isn't a gel saddle:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330559902520&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

#23 ·
Those things always make my ass numb and work their way into the wrong places.

IMO, it's not about a softer saddle - it's about finding one with a shell shape that works well with your particular anatomy, and setting it up right for you.

#24 ·
I've tried about a half a dozen saddles from the big huge ones to WTB Speed V. I found, for me, the ideal saddle was a cheapie Bel Sport Dart saddle from Wally World. I know... weird... but they fit me right and I ended up replacing all my saddles on all my bikes with these saddles.

#25 · (Edited)
getagrip said:
About two years ago, I paid $50 for a Specialized Saddle, but lately, my rear end is rather sore within about 15 miles of riding, so I think I need to swap it out for something else. Any recommendations on a good comfortable seat for under $50?
Yes I ride and can recommend Specialized saddl..er, ok.

Sorry it doesn't fit you well, but I seriously ride a Sonoma Sport on my hard tail and an Enduro on my Pitch. Have had no problem with either.

Hope you find one better for you!

#26 ·
storz said:
Anyone have any eperiance with the Sette EVO Ti saddle?

http://www.settebikes.com/show2.php/Parts|Saddles|evo_saddle
I like most of the Sette products I've tried but that saddle did not agree with me at all. Their Nyx saddle was much more tolerable for me. That said, I'm putting WTB Pure V's on all my bikes, its by far my favorite and I'm finally done searching. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.