Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any more info for this bike?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  lov2bike01 
#1 ·
I've been looking at this bike.
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_...+impact+pro&sLevel=0&prop17=hiland impact pro

It looks like a nice bike from what I can see, but the lack of specs is shameful. I can eyeball a few thing on it, like 24 speed alivio (although it says 21), hydroformed aluminum frame, reinforced head tube, looks like double wall rims, ef-50 or 51 shifters, maybe 80mm adj preload fork. The only major thing I can't see is what kind of fork it is, although it looks nice. If anyone can help me find out what "brand" fork is on it, I'd love to know. Thanks

#3 ·
I don't think that's an 8-speed cassette. The megarange thing usually shows up on 7-speed freewheels. The fork is a knockoff. It's probably not safe, for you or the bike, to take that thing off-road.

I know that you think we're being snobs on this site, and I'm sure some people are, but most of the bikes you've posted have really not been feasible off-road bikes. I'm not a fan of bikesdirect, but I think that for a $300 new bike, your best options are probably BD, performancebike.com, or a Diamondback Response from a big-box sporting goods store. The base-model Response is not so great either... The Northrock MTB from Costco is supposed to be pretty good too, if you know bikes well enough to go over the assembly yourself. (Really, that's true of all dept. store, sporting goods store, or mail order bikes.)

No luck from Craig's List, I take it. There's also EBay...

#5 ·
I hate ebay, simply cause of no return policies. I know how to assemble bikes. I've got a schwinn now, and I like it... does fine on trails. The only reason I'm looking for something else is because I personally think the schwinn is friggin ugly. Nothing at all wrong with the bike, which I've actually got a few upgrades on, but I just want something different. I'll check out the costco bike. I cant tell you why, but I'd just rather buy a cheap MTB with a decent frame then upgrade it myself. I guess just so I have something to work on.

Oh, and looking at the picture, I can say that it isn't a tourney. It is an alivio, which I know COULD still be a 21 speed, but usually a box store won't use anything better than tourney unless it's a 24 speed.

#6 ·
Why don't you order a bare frame? When you get it, you can figure out which parts you can't transfer from your Schwinn, score deals on those, and then cannibalize the Schwinn.

There are some really nice hardtail frames kicking around for as low as $200. Your whole budget for the project can be about the same, and you'll have the beginning of a really nice ride.

#7 ·
What Andrw said. If you're into working on bikes and you've got the tools, why not buy a quality frame and build up one of your own?

Leader supposedly makes some nice hardtail MTB frames, and I've also read good things about the ones from Nashbar and Performance. All are fairly lightweight and, per reports on this forum, reliably sturdy.

#8 ·
How tall are you?

Most of the time, the bikes you get from department stores are 'medium' size frames. If you're 5'6" to 5'9" (more or less) those may be OK. If you're taller, you should get the right size frame for your size.

The Access frames from Performance are good frames, and great frames when you consider the price.

#9 ·
I purchased the Northrock XC6 - In all I have been happy with my purchase. You can see my review on another posting. They have two frame sizes 18.5" and 19", what impressed me with Northrock was the toal offering - from the frame to the well recongnized components, the WTB tires alone are a $100.

I like Performace, but found they have a better offering on entry road bikes over the mountain and it can be hit-or-miss for the mountain bikes. At times they have nices deals on GT's. Another option is to checkout a Giant or Trek bike shop - they have some nice entry mountain bikes, you may be able to get a deal on a previous year model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.