Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tires not cutting it

2K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  bad mechanic 
#1 ·
So I've been running Kenda k885 semi-tread tires. When I'm riding along the road or on gravel, these tires are great. But I'm finding that when I'm off-road, out some four wheeler trail, fire road or wherever, they just don't hold up when I'm trying to go uphill. The rear tire spins out and I end up jumping off the bike or hitting my knee on the handlebars. I don't really want a treat with bad rolling resistance, because I do ride along the road often, but I'd like something that could hold the trails better than this semi-slick tread. These tires would be good when I go on my trip I have planned for the end of the summer, but for right now, I'd like to change them out with something a little more knobby. Velocirapters seem popular, but they'd be a bit much for riding up the road to get to the fire trails. I've got a few miles of riding up the road before I get to the trails.

I guess what I'm looking for is a more "all around" kind of tread besides these semi-slicks.

What would you recommend? Note also, that I can't spend too much, so something reasonably affordable for someone who's unemployed ATM lol

#3 ·
Good read. I read the link you provided and I do need to work on my technique. I've only been riding a few weeks. I do think the tires a big part of it tho, because they don't spin when I'm near the top or in the middle of the climb. No no. The tire spins as soon as I start upward lol. I'm currently at about 45 lbs psi in my tires so I'm definitely going to lower down to about 35 or 40. But even still work on technique and lower pressure, I'd still like to try a better tire until I do get a little better.

As far as leaning back when I'm climbing, I'm afraid I'll tip the bike over lol. Yeah. I'm a noob. But I'll check out the tires forum too.

#5 ·
Velociraptors were the traction masters back in the day, but that rear tire had some serious rolling resistance.

Lots of tires will be acceptable as a rear tire. If you just want traction in average conditions and don't want to really compromise, I would put a Kenda Telonix 2.2" or Panaracer 2.4" FR Pro on the rear, and something like a Maxxis High Roller, Kenda Nevegal up front.

The Kenda Telonix rolls much better than it looks (pretty well actually, and certainly better than a Nevegal), and has the best grip of any rear tire I have ever tried. Front tires are a bit trickier. Maybe best to consult some locals in your own neck of the woods for that.

The Specialized Purgatory is also a decent front tire IME.

JMHO, and you'll likely get a LOT of differing opinions on this one. Sometimes it comes down to riding style (how you attack turns) as to whether a tire works well for you or not.

#7 ·
I wouldn't go to the Panaracer FR on an XC bike, at least until you try some others first. That tire is more of an all-mountain, loose conditions type tire, it's pretty wide and the knobs stick out even further and sometimes tick the chain in the granny ring.

The Telonix 2.2" would be the better choice IMHO and it will easily fit your rims. No need to get different inner tubes even if they say they are not for the larger size tire. I even use 26" tubes on 29er tires. Inner tubes will stretch quite a bit.

I would not be terribly concerned about whatever tire's asphalt performance. Best to worry mostly about how it performs in the dirt you ride.

#8 ·
Continental and schwalbe pretty much have the market nailed for the "best" mtb tires. But you're probably not looking in that price range.

In the past, when I wasn't spending as much on the sport, I used hutchinson python, mosquito tires for harder surface off road riding, panaracer fire xc for a kind of all around, and if we were in mud(before the days when people cared about trail damage from mudding) we ran smokes out back.
I've only ever really had a bad experience with one tire on any surface it was intended for, and because of that I won't buy irc products.

Get a couple pairs of tires and change them if you're going to be doing long rides of one kind or another with widely varying conditions between them. Tires that compromise one characteristic for another don't make your learning experience fun either. So getting something that splits the difference for pavement and 4 wheeler trails won't be fun at all

#9 ·
gemini9 said:
I'm currently at about 45 lbs psi in my tires so I'm definitely going to lower down to about 35 or 40. But even still work on technique and lower pressure, I'd still like to try a better tire until I do get a little better.
I think that might be part of your problem. riding pavement, graved rock, or hardpack with pressure that high will be fine, but when you start riding loose stuff or climbing, pressure that high is going to really slow you down. a tire at 45 psi will cut through the dirt like a saw blade instead of digging into it. you have to find the compromise for your riding style between what will be hard enough for your weight to not get pinch flats easily and something soft enough that it will grip the dirt. i would try dropping the tire pressure right down to 30 psi and go from there.

#12 ·
Also, Gem, part of your slippage problem might be technique. Weight distribution can have a huge impact on traction, especially with your back wheel is on a slope.

On some of the steeper climbs, you'll find yourself struggling to balance the weight between rear traction and front stability.

#13 ·
I just put some WTB Velociraptor 2.1s on my old GF that I've been using as a hybrid, and they did well on the trail. Couple muddy areas, but they handled it just fine. Plus, the front is one of the best looking tires IMO, not that it matters. It just looks mean :D

#14 ·
That's all. I'll lower the pressure. I weigh in at 140 pounds so I can probably drop it down quite a bit. I'm just worried about flats. The panaracers look okay, but the michelin's are cheaper lol so I might order a couple of those by the end of the week. I may even consider the raptors and just change them out when I ride hardpack. I'll check the price on them.

#22 ·
as others have said technique is the answer....those Kenda k885's have plenty of tread to climb (maybe not muddy/wet root/slick conditions)

the trick for the super steep sections (and to a lesser degree the 'less-steep' sections) is body position and power stroke.

keep your forearms parallel to the ground and your chest moved up and closer to you stem....your butt may or may not be out of the saddle depending on the situation...

on your powerstroke pull back a bit on you bars...not up...pull back. This drives your rear tire into the ground while keeping your front end weighted.

this position is subtle on less steep climbs...and exaggerated on the real steep sections....

my .02

PS - this will make you tired at first...but it will get easier....

#23 ·
CHUM said:
on your powerstroke pull back a bit on you bars...not up...pull back. This drives your rear tire into the ground while keeping your front end weighted.
Ned Overend suggests pulling as if you're trying to pull the bike back down the slope. This is basically the same thing Chum's saying.

Also, sometimes being in an easier gear and spinning helps you get up a slope easier than trying to power through it.

chum said:
PS - this will make you tired at first...
Bedum sssssssss....:drumroll:

#25 ·
Took my bike out again today and there's a steep bank to climb to get back onto the side of the road. I figured I'd make a run for it and try my luck, but still no go. Half way up the bank, rear slid and I'm off the bike to push the rest of the way. Side of the bank was kinda grassy so it's my assumption that the grass there contributed to my crap ascent. I did, however, lower my tire pressure. Noticed the ride is different. Handles differently. Feels more kooshy. :)

#26 ·
I read the climbing technique thread....and put the advice to use last night. Along with lowering my tire pressure to 30psi, I kept my a$$ fairly close to the saddle. I did notice when I stood up more I unloaded my rear tire, and traction would go away.

Mind you, I am using the stock Specialized tires which are more road/light trail use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.