Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I am getting my let poked by my bike

1K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Shark 
#1 ·
So, I have been riding my bike regularly. Every time I try to walk my bike forward I get stuck by the sprocket on the front gear...

My lower leg looks like a druggies arm :skep:

Seriously about 2 dozen shallow puncture wounds in grouping of 3 or 4 each....

I am very conscious of this because it hurts, but I cant seem to avoid it. Advice?

#9 · (Edited)
Goodness...

No one has ever put their feet down from a the bike to take a step when they are starting out? What do you people do; Just fall on your face every time you attempt something out of your comfort range? Your feet never touch the ground? I guess I am doing it completely wrong by not just riding on what I am comfortable with :skep:

In this case, I drop one or both feet to check if I feel ok doing something...take a step or two to see over a drop and every time I get either crushed by a peddle or stuck by a gear. I was HOPING for some "BTDT" feedback on how to ride better. I figured it would have been common enough when starting that I would not have to post details. I honestly thought this forum might be good for something, but holy hell. Post something in the BEGINNER FORUM and get a bunch of smart ass answers? :thumbsup:

Good job with the spot on answers of "walk on the other side" "new low" and "walk on the other side." I am shocked none of you studs wrote "sell your bike" :D

Just so we are clear, I am 16 breaks, one separated shoulder, two blown and a dislocated knee deep in injuries. I have done everything from falling out of a helo to pulling a hammy getting out of bed :) . I dont like being injured, so I have learned over 30 years to assess, then go (also, I dont have medical, so I REALLY like to avoid doing thinks that will give me anything worse than a simple break).

#12 ·
I don't think we're too sure what the heck you're talking about. Are you walking your bike standing over it or are you walking on its side? I don't think there is any real technique in walking your bike. Maybe if you say what you're doing when you get stabbed by your unruly sprocket we could help you??

#11 ·
Folks assumed that when you said "walk my bike" that you were doing so dismounted. Now with your elaborated description it sounds like you're putting your feet down in front of the pedals and attempting to use them to move the bike forward?? I've never done that and have no advice to offer other than to stop putting your feet down in front of the pedals while attempting to move the bike forward. Sounds like a recipe to really get hurt.

#14 ·
As others have said, walking your bike and getting stabbed while dismounting are 2 different questions. The former is so constrained by common sense that it really is ripe for smart-assism, Really, "walk on the other side" or "hold it further from your body" are the only answers, with no bike experience required to figure out. I actually thought your post was like 50/50 trolling for some humor on a sunday night. Seriously.

Now that you elaborated, in all seriousness, you really should only be putting your foot down in 2 situations:
1) Messing up a corner/hill and dabbing your foot down. This could sometimes grind your leg into the chainring, and is one of the main reasons for a bashguard. Clipless pedals would help too.
2) Controlled dismount. I lean over when I dismount for the most part. With clipless for me it's awkward to dismount over the top-tube.

Putting your right foot down to "push" forward... not being a smart ass, just matter off fact... no reason to do that. Use use your left pedal to apply force instead in that situation, then hop on. It's not a scooter (ok, little smartass but it's all in good humor :p )

As scary as being clipped in might sound, clipless pedals really brings a huge amount of control that just isn't possible with platforms, so I would suggest those. Plenty of posts tor read about them. You'll dab less in any event.

And finally, I'm sorry you've had some tough breaks. Kudos for what you've done and your service to our country (my brother has 2 and 1/2 tours). You're going to crash, though. And honestly, going slow, putting your feet down, being timid... those will actually increase your chances of a spill. If you look at that tree and worry that you'll run into it... you'll run into it.

Your comment of "I don't like crashing" just stood out because... all kinds of dumb things happen. My crashes/spills are usually just random pedal strikes or slipping on some pine needles... half the time I'm not even sure what happened. Just have to accept it and ignore it.

Good luck and most of all, have fun!

#16 ·
lol sorry if we seem a little "smartassy". We're just having some fun. But seriously, I know what you mean about those front teeth. I have trouble with mine too. In a different aspect though. Whenever I ride, my pant leg always gets caught in the teeth/chain (seriously). It's pretty embarrassing, but I've even actually had to tight roll my pant leg or shove my pants down into my sock just to be able to ride! A rather annoying problem. When it warms up, perhaps a pair of shorts will solve my problem lol

But as for your abused shins, I'm not sure what to tell ya. That's got to hurt and I'm sure you're pretty annoyed by it.

#18 ·
vollmerj said:
I don't think we're too sure what the heck you're talking about. Are you walking your bike standing over it or are you walking on its side? I don't think there is any real technique in walking your bike. Maybe if you say what you're doing when you get stabbed by your unruly sprocket we could help you??
I walk my bike standing over it... Maybe a foot or less (one step, either my left OR right foot). Somehow my right leg is stuck with the sprocket regardless. It almost always happens when I am trying to move a little farther off the trail to get out of the way, or when I dont want to just fly off a drop and check it out...

From the responses, I guess I am just a dumbass and need to completely dismount :D

Honestly, I have no idea how I do it so often, but my GF has not done it, and I dont see it happening to anyone else...

So far all I can gather is that I should put my left leg down, and thats about it...

(BTW, reading my OP is not descriptive at all... I just find it amusing that the forum was so helpful when I bought my bikes, and so "WTF is he talking about" now :) )

#19 ·
GotoDengo said:
And finally, I'm sorry you've had some tough breaks. Kudos for what you've done and your service to our country (my brother has 2 and 1/2 tours). You're going to crash, though. And honestly, going slow, putting your feet down, being timid... those will actually increase your chances of a spill. If you look at that tree and worry that you'll run into it... you'll run into it.

Your comment of "I don't like crashing" just stood out because... all kinds of dumb things happen. My crashes/spills are usually just random pedal strikes or slipping on some pine needles... half the time I'm not even sure what happened. Just have to accept it and ignore it.

Good luck and most of all, have fun!
Oh, I said that to show I am not adverse to injury, I am adverse to injury from taking too big a step too soon ... I didnt have so much fun with injuries by avoiding risks. I would like to avoid serious future injuries by avoiding stupid risks... not easy to explain, I guess...

I guess my example would be you dont get on the freeway until you can navigate surface streets when learning to drive.

MOST of my injuries have come from doing things WAY beyond my ability. Not too excited about bombing through a bunch of boulders until I can move my bike without sticking my leg with a sharp disc of metal. :D

#21 ·
ratmonkey said:
That makes a little more sense, creeping your bike forward. Advice is still to walk it from the left. Treat the chainring like a loaded weapon, stay out from in front of it.
BTDT: Keep your right foot on the pedal in the 6 o'clock position, and then step to the ground with only your left foot while straddling the bike. No need to put both feet down until after you get in control of the situation.
This should suffice... Obvious n00b forum material. :D

Now I am in need for a decent mountain bike book or manual that would give me a better grasp of owning a bike, and talking about it... clearly I am like a 5 year old trying to ask a nuclear physics question. I have to take two or three tries to explain my question. I am talking a real basic how to ride, how to maintain, and anatomy of the bike type of thing...

#22 ·
#24 ·
Yeah, the others have pretty much nailed it--there's no reason to stay on your bike and "walk" it forward. It's terribly awkward and inefficient.

By the way, what's causing this? Are you stalling out on steep climbs? If so, are you in the right gear?

If you get in a situation in which you're stalled out on an up and can't pedal any further, you're better off completely dismounting the bike and walking it to the top.

Hang in there and keep at it. Over time, you probably won't need to walk your bike anywhere or in any manner.

Happy trails,

HP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.