Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New rider: Cannondale RZ 123 or 124???

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Raaen 
#1 ·
Hello to all-
I have a question to anyone that can give me feedback. Im new to riding and I am looking at purchasing my first bike. I went down to the local shop and test rode a few; and the one that really jumped out in my favor was the Cannondale RZ One twenty 3 (2011). Obviously the bike shop would try to sell me anything I was interested in, but what is the big differences between the RZ 123 and the 124 for a new rider? I only know what I've read on the internet about the quality of the compnents and have no real "experience" putting wear and tear on them. The bike will be used to ride MB trails in NC until August when I move to the Mojave Desert at 29 Palms, Ca and ride out there. Im in the military and am in pretty good shape; and my hobbies are all the crazy stuff (parachuting, rock climbing, motorcycles, ect). So in other words: the bike will get used. I just feel overwhelmed at what there is out there, what would suit me long term, and to what degree of a thrashing the components can take before they break down. Ive always applied the thought process of "if you buy cheap then you'll have a cheap POS", so naturally I want to get a bike that I wont be dying to get rid of 2 months later because my skill level has increased.

Also- is there another bike out there that I should look at before I buy? Am I just paying for the Cannondale name? Any advise on convincing a spouse why its a good idea to drop $2000+ dollars on a MB? :D

Thanks in advance for all the help!

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't speak to that particular bike, but I am in my firstseason of riding, and I picked up a Cannondale hardtail as my first bike. I love it, it's comfortable, and seems very well built. I can only assume that the upperend Cannondales should be the same way! :thumbsup:

#3 ·
i personally had tested the rz124 when i went shopping for bikes. I really did not like the components it came with at all.The RST fork, x fusion rear shock and the suspension design alone steered me clear of this bike for the price of the rz124 there are better alternatives. I ended up getting a 2011 Giant Trance X4. So in other words if you like the feel of this particular model go for the rz123. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
Well when I went I had a limit of 1600. So I was looking at the Canaandale RZ124, Giant Trance X4, Trek EX5 and the GT Sensor 3.0.The Canaandale I didnt like period, the Trek was more expensive and it was noticeably heavier versus the Trance plus the paint scheme sucks. The GT Sensor was nice but didnt have the size I needed. My friend bought the Trek EX5 and I got the Trance so I have some trail time on the Trek. First off the Giant is fairly light, has the Maestro suspension which anybody will tell you is a pretty effective design and has decent components and I loved the color scheme on the X4. Also the shop that had it in stock was great and I felt comfortable there so I sprung for it. I paid 1350 out the door and msrp is 1500. My only complaint is the rear Giant branded shock has no lockout so im going to change that to a Fox. Since your looking for something that will hold up without having to do anything to it I would go with a Giant Trance X3. The Trance X3 is 2000 msrp but im know for example my lbs would sell one to me for 1750. I would look for a Giant dealer and give it a try. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Trance X3

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trance.x3/7321/44097/

Trance X4

Photobucket

#9 ·
Buy a 123, you won't be sorry

I posted a review on mtbr that may be helpful to you. I have a 2010 Cannondale 123 and love it. this is my first fs bike I've owned but rode a Norco and Santa Cruz prior. The 123 has a good mix of componenents and overally quality and forecast good durability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.