Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best way to raise handlebars?

8K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  pmg5727 
#1 · (Edited)
Currently I feel a bit outstretched on my bike. I'm 5'7 and ride a medium frame all-mountain bike. The current handlebars are low rise and I have a 45mm stem (0 degrees). Is it better to get high rise handle bars or just add spacers below the stem? I'm using the bike for DH.

#7 · (Edited)
From the pic it looks like a good set up. But if you no likey you may be able to add a small spacer on top of the spacers you have already but my ex-ray vision isn't working to see inside the stem lol, and best i can tell with my monitor there's no spacers on top of the stem? to move below.
You could cut your bars shorter to get your arms straighter to shorten your reach, but if dhing is your thing than wider is better and the only option would be bars with more rise. From the pics it looks like if you rotated the bars back you'd get them a bit closer shortening the reach. You might be able to find a short stem like that 1 with more rise but the difference would be minimal with a stem so short.
Don't know if it's a different rim or optical illussion but the pic makes it look like your rear tire is a lot taller(higher profile) than the front. Having it the other way around with a taller front and shorter rear tire would change the angle more toward where you want it also.

#9 ·
It doesn't look like there are spacers above the stem so moving the stem up on the steerer tube is not an option. You would have to get handlebars with a higher rise or a different stem. From the way the bike is set up, it looks as though it might be too big for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.