Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Thank You!

714 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  marpilli 
#1 ·
Soooo I've been lurking this forum for 3 months, reading religiously and learning a lot. For my birthday I decided to quit smoking and buy a Trek 4300. I'm 6 days smoke free and 2 awesome rides in. My first ride was yesterday at Arcadia in RI , mostly dirt roads with a little bit of single track, awesome rivers and scenery everywhere. Second ride was today at Pachaug state forest in CT, another great ride with mostly singletrack. Some of it was way too technical for me(probably anyone though) and had to walk the bike for a little. Anyways wanted to thank you all for writing in these forums, I've learned so much, and it looks like i've found my new addiction!!

#5 ·
congrats on the quitting smoking and getting your new bike. hopefully you can kick the smokes for good. even if you have a small set back, remember do not give up!

good luck and enjoy riding!

#6 ·
Welcome to MTBR forums. This is truly a great place.

Congrats on the new bike and most of all, congrats on quitting smoking. I quit 3 1/2 years ago after being a pack a day for 20 years. Probably the hardest thing I ever did in my life but it got easier day after day, week after week, month after month. As hard as it may be, don't give in to the cravings when they hit you. I found the 3 month mark to be pretty tough but it got a lot easier after that.

Riding the bike should be plenty of motivation to keep you off the smokes. There are days on the bike when I feel like I just quit yesterday. I guess it really takes a long time for the body to recover from that kind of abuse.

#7 ·
It's been tough but not impossible, I feel so good not smoking a pack a day, even after just one week there is a huge difference in my lungs. And probably won't be lurking anymore....just sooooo much info on this forum I felt almost no need to post.

#9 ·
Congratulations! When I quit smoking I took up running. For me, it was something that would be impacted if I fell off the wagon and started smoking again. So, my gains in running helped keep me from falling back into old habits.

It's not easy, but it's a good choice to make.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.