Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How do I protect my bike?

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Fletch 1 
#1 ·
I have a bike up for sale on craigslist, I live near Hawes and advertised that I would meet there to let someone try it out if interested. Now I am thinking that may be a great way to watch my bike ride off and never be seen again. Is there a way to protect myself and still give someone the benefit of the doubt or should I just insist on cash in hand before anyone touches my baby?

#5 ·
you don't need to give someone a test ride on dirt - its a used bike they should know what they are getting. I avoid traveling for a sale, as it puts the buyer in a more advantageous position if you've expended that effort. I use either my office or the grocery store parking lot around the corner - both public and safe for both parties. See the car they drive up in, get their ID and a credit card. bring a camera jic. if things seem wrong, walk away from the deal.

#14 ·
Just as Chollaball said, it is not necessary to offer an "off road" test ride. I have bought and sold bikes recently on CL with no issues. As others have said, if it doesn't feel right don't set up the meeting and I am sure there are exceptions but I have found it has to do with the price point of the merchandise what type of buyers you attract.

My most recent purchase was actually for a new rider that wanted a full squish Trek he had found on CL. I gave the bike a detailed look over first and then I asked the seller if I could ride it right in front of him in front of his house so I could shift it and check brakes etc. He had no problem with it and about a week later I had someone come to purchase my HT 29er that followed the exact same protocol. I'm sure it's not fool proof but I have had good luck with the gut feeling I get during the initial communication, how they dress and what they are driving and just there over all appearance. I know it's stereotyping but after all you have to protect your investment and your personal safety first. Don't put yourself "in check" by offering any more than you have to in order to capture the sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.