Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

First trail bike suggestions?

7K views 62 replies 15 participants last post by  kayin 
#1 · (Edited)
First trail bike

Hi all! New to the boards and new to the sport! I've done some browsing for the last couple of days trying to wrap my head around mountain biking, there is SO MUCH to learn! :eekster:

My concern lies in the fact that, although I don't have much money now while I'm a student living away from home. BUT, with that said, I really want to take advantage of the fact that I'm in Calgary, AB which is close to Canmore, and I have a friend there that said she can show me some sweet beginner trails.

Although I recognize that there is a lot to learn about specific parts and stuff, and that this will take time..I really, REALLY just want to get out there and bike around! So I'm looking for suggestions as to bikes that I should look into that will be:

1) A good starter bike that will get me into the sport;
2) Will not break the bank (~$300-400 new or used);
3) Will have decent resale value for when I upgrade, progress, and learn more

I am mainly looking right now for something that will be for trail riding for now. If it gets me to and from school to that would be great for this summer. I've looked at a couple of Specialized Hardrock that were posted on a local used item site, but my friend told me that its not worth it for the ~$325 price range that people are asking.

Any help would be great! Thanks in advanced! I hope to learn a lot from my time spent on this forum!

Kingsley

See less See more
#2 ·
You really can't get much new for $400. I just got a deal on a set of wheels that were $450 even at half-price. Just wheels.

On the other hand, if you beat up one of those Hardrock sellers for $275 say, then there is definitely a limit to how much you can loose on resale (assuming it's a late-model bike in reasonable condition and you don't do too many upgrades).

#3 ·
I'm also a student and I have the same financial issues and I am not going to spend a lot on a bike, even though it's something I would like to do. The most I'll go is 450, personally. Yes, that limits my options. But it sure as hell beats nothing.

And yeah, we're just starting out. As long as the gears, tires and shocks are fairly reliable and the thing isn't like a lead weight, I'm happy. The Trek 4300 has all of those things, as I'd assume the Hardrock and Revel 1 have. Don't spend more money than you have to on anything you aren't already into, and judging by other advice from other experienced riders that I've seen here, you can get something in your price range or just outside of it...

#4 ·
Clones123 said:
You really can't get much new for $400. I just got a deal on a set of wheels that were $450 even at half-price. Just wheels.
Ah, yes - upgraditis at work here, I see. ;) I caught some of that last year on my Sanction 1 with Straitlines, CK hubs, DT FR600 wheels - sure adds up. :D

What I never get over is that a decent fork (say a Fox Talas 36 can easily cost 2x-3x more than what some are willing for an entire rig and I wonder about my sanity. :confused:

#6 ·
In the $300-450 it will be tough to find one new, Giant Revel 2 is around $350 new, and Revel 1 is about $490 new. Both are decent bikes use the same frame, and would work for future upgrades the only issues with Revel 2 is it has v-brakes meaning to go to disc you would have to change out the wheel sets at some point.

#7 ·
sweet, thanks for the input everyone! I will definitely check out bikesdirect.com and the Giant bikes suggested.

Its kind of sad to know that there's nothing that's really all that decent in the $300-$400 range. I'm an avid snowboarder and know that there is so much stuff that you can buy in that price range that will rival the big name companies, if not outperform them! I guess bikes are a bit more technical and stuff, but i'd still think that there would be decent entry level bikes from the top companies that aren't sold at walmart..

#8 ·
Makes me think maybe I might move up to the 700 buck range after I destroy the piece of crap bike I've got laying around. :D

I mean, it's Arizona... How hard can it be to destroy a department store bike that I got at a garage sale? I wonder what will break first...

#9 ·
If you can swing the extra 100 dollars get this one for the money cant beat it. Like the other guys said you cant get much in the price but these will get you out. After you finish school and get a good job you can get the 2000 dollar bike if you like it. The only problems you may have with these bikes is the gearing is not so good but as it wears out you can upgrade. Remember as you upgrade all of the parts are interchangeable so you can always upgrade the frame if you want. Another thing to think about is the dart fork is a coil fork and the spring is only good for a certain weight think 150 to 170 but you can change it if need be and its not hard.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_600HT_xi.htm

if not

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/hay1500xi.htm

#10 ·
jpeters said:
Thanks for the suggestion! But living in Canada, it makes me hesitant to order from them. They ship through UPS and my experience with UPS for snowboard items that I've ordered off ebay and similar sites, they have CRAZY broker fees that I would imagine would be the same as for a bike. I remember I paid an extra $80 in broker fees for a snowboard that I purchased, which would've made it the same price as buying it locally on sale:madmax:

I will keep looking for something that lets me get out there for now and then hope it lasts me the entire summer! :thumbsup:

#11 · (Edited)
Got A Bike!!!

Just wanted to update you all on what has happened in the last few days!! I just picked up my first mountain bike since 1998

Found myself a Trek 4900 on a local used item website posted for $150, did a quick search on this site for reviews. Overall it seemed like a great starter bike, some short-comings of some of the parts obviously, not flashy by any sense of the word, but I figured it'd at least get me out there biking! offered $120 and went to go pick it up!

here she is:

gonna wash her up tomorrow morning, clean up the gears, re-oil the chain and pump up the tires a bit (anything i'm missing?) and take it down to the river valley for my first ride! So excited!!!!!:thumbsup:

#12 ·
Do you know how to do the maintenance make sure you use bike specific lube. Also get some simple green for degreasing make sure you don't spray watter directly on the hubs and the crank bearings just let it run over. If it does not have sealed bearings in the wheels and headset it would be goods to lube those as well if you go to the bike shop you can get some good grease. I would also consider new pads and lubing thew cables. Another thing get some good fork lube and lube the fork. I would take a good few hrs reading online and lubing everything real good. Do all that and you will be good to go.

#13 ·
I did the same thing last year Kayin--found a decent entry level hart tail on Calgary Kijiji. Rode the snot out of it in town, K Country, Canmore, etc. Wore out a drive train. Just got my first full suspension bike this year. I've gotten the bug, as they say. Enjoy your new bike!

Heck, I figure living so close to the mountains, I oughta do something in them since I don't ski or board! ;)

#14 ·
jpeters said:
Do you know how to do the maintenance make sure you use bike specific lube. Also get some simple green for degreasing make sure you don't spray watter directly on the hubs and the crank bearings just let it run over. If it does not have sealed bearings in the wheels and headset it would be goods to lube those as well if you go to the bike shop you can get some good grease. I would also consider new pads and lubing thew cables. Another thing get some good fork lube and lube the fork. I would take a good few hrs reading online and lubing everything real good. Do all that and you will be good to go.
thanks for the advice! :thumbsup: i started looking at the maintenance guide posted on here last night and thanked god that i didn't just spray my bike with water hahah. I will be picking up some supplies this afternoon, but right now, its time to ride!!!!

Bilirubin- that's wicked! that's pretty much exactly what i want to do along with hiking this summer! I had SO much fun this winter living in Calgary cause of the proximity to the mountains! Got out almost every weekend there was an epic powder day!:D

#16 · (Edited)
hdparrish said:
That's more than adequate, kayin, and a good bargain, to boot.

Your seat looks a little low, though. That's about where I put mine for fast, technical downhill. :p
thanks! I'm quite happy! took it for my first rip around the river valley today..I have a feeling me and this bike will get along just fine!! and I also adjusted my seat a bit, found an optimal height that i felt comfortable with. Bit higher than when i first picked her up!

Updated pictures:

All clean (yes, yes, it wont stay this way for long, but it made me happy to have her cleaned up)

Resting spot from my first ride:

My first impressions are that I need to get rid of the clips and a more comfortable seat would also be nice. If I have the opportunity, better tires will also be in order. But for now, building up my endurance will be key!:madman:

#17 ·
Good to hear you're having fun. :) As for the seat, I'd give it a few weeks, if you haven't already. When you first get on (as was my experience anyway) you'll be a little sore and it'll hurt a bit. But your butt will get used to it and your muscles we work up a little. After a few weeks, the seat might not be so bad. That's how it was with me anyway. I'm new to the mtb scene, too and I've been doing alot of riding. Every chance I get! Looks nice clean! All you need to do now, is get it dirty again. :)

#20 ·
gemini9 said:
oh, and one more thing. Will probably look more professional if ya take off those reflectors lol.
good call!! hahahahaha

thanks for the advice on the seat. It does make tons of sense though! i dont' think i've ridden a bike in at least 5 years haha. I'll have to look into bike shorts as well! Thanks for all the help!!!

#23 ·
kayin said:
My first impressions are that I need to get rid of the clips and a more comfortable seat would also be nice. If I have the opportunity, better tires will also be in order. But for now, building up my endurance will be key!:madman:
Nice score.

The 4300 will get you started, take you to school in the summer, and give you a season or two to figure out if you want to do more with the sport.

I found toe clips to be pretty scary off-road. I like clipless pedals, but you don't have to do that. Even a fairly inexpensive pair of purpose-built platform MTB pedals will be a big improvement. I highly recommend shin guards for anyone using platforms.

Mess around with the pressure in the tires before you give up on them. I run the lowest I can get away with - 25 psi front and back, and I weigh about 155 lb.

The saddle thing is tricky. Getting it set up right is important - you should feel pressure only on your sit bones. If you're feeling pressure other places, and you can't solve it by changing the angle or fore/aft position of the saddle, you need a new saddle. If it's just your sit bones getting bruised, you have to live with it for a little while, until your butt toughens up.

#24 ·
AndrwSwitch said:
Nice score.
Mess around with the pressure in the tires before you give up on them. I run the lowest I can get away with - 25 psi front and back, and I weigh about 155 lb.
Thanks a lot AndrwSwitch! Your post really provided me with a lot of information! I likely wont have money to replace the tires yet anyways, but playing around with the pressure is something that I never even thought of! I will do that first for sure!

I think the first thing that i will buy is some new pedals..just can't get used to the toe clips. Almost fell off today on my way to school!!

#26 ·
Clones123 said:

On the other hand, if you beat up one of those Hardrock sellers for $275 say, then there is definitely a limit to how much you can loose on resale (assuming it's a late-model bike in reasonable condition and you don't do too many upgrades).
wow this wheel mus be rocks, did you use it for freestyle bike?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.