Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is there Anything Better Than Slime Tubes For Cactus Needles?

6K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  twowheelsdown2002 
#1 ·
I rode for less than 5minutes and already have a flat.

When I used to ride 12 yrs ago, I used slime tubes. They got anything better nowadays?

#4 ·
I use the really thick slime tubes, they're puncture resistant. Keep in mind, though, if you want to keep weight down, they are definitely not for you. I use them because I'd rather not get a flat that shave a couple grams (or lbs)!

#6 ·
You can look into buying tubes with removable presta valve cores like these

http://www.cswestbikes.com/servlet/the-1335/Q-dsh-Tube-fdsh-Kenda-Presta-Valve-Bicycle/Detail

and then adding your sealant of choice (Stans, Caffe Latex, there are even some DIY's posted on here about making your own).

I'm not sure how this would compare performance-wise to Slime tubes, but they would probably be lighter. I run stans sealant in my tubeless tires and never have any worries about thorns. Maybe someone else can chime in.

edit: I've never used the shop in the link before, just googled "bicycle tube with removable presta valve core", so I'm not sure if it's a good company to order from.

#5 · (Edited)
I find that slime tubes, even the thick puncture resistance ones, don't seal anything more than a pin hole which is likely b/c from what I've seen, they don't have any fillers in slime mix. To my surprise I got a pin hole last weekend that sealed and only lost about 2lbs of pressure. Most of the time though the hole doesn't seal for me. When I inspected the tire after the ride I saw a little green goo on the outside, checked the tube out and it was still oozing some green stuff so it really didn't "Seal".. . Other tubeless sealant really seal. I hear adding latex mold builder and some water or ammonia to automotive slime can be real effective as well.

in the slim tubes I have left for my 29r, I added about an ounce of some automotive slime which has the rubber specs in it. Might help a bit on the bigger holes. darn heavy tubes now so it better work for the extra peddling effort I'm doing!!

#9 ·
bazooka_beard said:
I use the really thick slime tubes, they're puncture resistant. Keep in mind, though, if you want to keep weight down, they are definitely not for you. I use them because I'd rather not get a flat that shave a couple grams (or lbs)!
yeah, I dont worry too much about weight. Downtime is much more annoying

#10 ·
yeah, my past experience with slime wasnt perfect. It would lose some air but would be rideable. THen after sitting in the garage, tires will be flat. Then you gotta air them up and spin the wheels.

I have been hearing about Stans? Is it any better than slime? Supposed to be expensive.

#11 ·
I run ghetto tubeless with Stan's. It works pretty good. I have only had issues when I have ripped a sidewall, but in that instance, it don't matter what you are running. Stans is kind of expensive, about 20 bucks for 32 oz, but the fact that you use about 2-4 ounces a tire every 3 months or so, so one bottle can last you a year (technically). Given that, I don't think it is that expensive.

#15 ·
I'm going to try tubeless on one of my bikes with 10mil pipe tape like this

http://www.northtowncompany.com/upcpipetape.html

says will hold 30psi tensile strength. For added protection in the center I would wrap the spoke holes with one revolution of another tape and then another revolution with this 10 mil pipe tape and cut it off just under the rim lip.

I got it at Ace Hardware around Broadway and Rural in Tempe.

I'll probably update one of the tubeless tire threads after I get it to work. If anyone is in my area that wants to go tubeless as well and use some of my tape, come on over cuz I got a ton of it!

#16 ·
cm374 said:
You can look into buying tubes with removable presta valve cores like these

http://www.cswestbikes.com/servlet/the-1335/Q-dsh-Tube-fdsh-Kenda-Presta-Valve-Bicycle/Detail

and then adding your sealant of choice (Stans, Caffe Latex, there are even some DIY's posted on here about making your own).

edit: I've never used the shop in the link before, just googled "bicycle tube with removable presta valve core", so I'm not sure if it's a good company to order from.
I believe WTB tubes have a removable valve core so you can add your own Stans inside. Cactus in Tukee sells them if you're in the area. $5 I believe. You're still pinch flat prone since they can be pretty long sometimes.

#17 ·
Yes- get super thick tires. Maybe I'm really lucky or something but it's probably been a year since I've flatted. But I think it has more to do with the tires. For example, on the front I have a Geax Nueron 2.3 UST which is really a DH tire (even though I'm not a DH rider). The thing weighs 1350 grams so if I were a weight weenie I'd never run it, but I got tired of flatting. It worked. I also use sealant but I haven't even had anything get through the tire to need it yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.