Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Advice

661 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  NYrr496 
#1 ·
So over the last few days I have been contemplating a lot about upgrading my 2005 specialized hardrock comp. It won't shift into third on the front and my dealer says it is due to entry level parts. Basically I would be looking at 400 to 1000 dollars in a group set. Plus I wanted to upgrade the stock fork. Does it make more sense to dump anywhere from 800 to 1200 dollars into a 2005 frame? Or does it make more sense to upgrade bikes to a 11' 10' or even 09'. If so what would you recommend I recently looked at a konA tanuki and kona dawg as my next bike for sure would like to be a ds. If it make any difference I ride a lot of different stuff I am 6'3 215 and am headed off to college next fall and would like to have a good bike that will last.

#2 ·
It won't shift into third on the front and my dealer says it is due to entry level parts.
Sounds like they're bullshitting you to me. But no, I personally would not put that much money into that bike.

And as for a bike for college, do not use an expensive bike! You want to ride a beater around campus, single speed if it's feasible. Stolen and vandalized bikes on campuses happen constantly.

#3 ·
I'd go ahead and say you can take an expensive bike to college. Certainly don't chain it to your bike rack outside your dorm at night because someone will likely kick the rims or something stupid but I ride my Fisher Marlin (expensive to me) to class with no problems. I keep it up in my apartment and never leave it chained outside and always scope a safe spot away from other bikes to put it on the rack when I take it to class. I go to Southern Illinois though so it's not too congested a campus, I guess it depends on where you go man. Most bike vandalism that I've witnessed resulted from drunk kids coming back from the bars and beating up on bikes at night. In the middle of the day you shouldn't have too much to worry about, at least I don't. Again, depends on where you're going and how comfortable you are with the environemtn

As far as the bike upgrade I agree with Nadric, LBS is probably bs'ing you. I wouldn't put that money into the bike either I'd get a new one. with that 500-1000 you can get a pretty nice bike. Hope this helps bud.

#4 ·
Well I'm pretty sure my bike will actually be stored with security indoors under a bike chain. I will be attending Norwich University in Vermont which is a really small school so I feel quite comfortable with the environment. I agree with both of you about the money into that year of a bike, does it make any difference though that the frame is in descent shape or is the technology really different between 05' and say 09' or 10'? Personally I would like a new bike but it's going to take a little bit of chat with the parent.

#5 ·
What I was told when I was looking for my new bike was to look for a bike with a frame you love so that you can build around it. If you love the frame you've got and are comfortable with it then go ahead and build around it bud. But if you're iffy on whether or not you like it then I wouldn't put money into upgrading a frame that you don't like. It's a personal choice really.

#6 ·
Your LBS is full of crap. Do not go there anymore. Or, next time you're in there, tell them that they're full of it, and make sure other customers hear you. ;)

And while you're at it, go online and look up how to work on a bike. It's exceptionally easy and only takes a few hex wrenches and screwdrivers to make most adjustments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.