Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Calling riders in PR

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Prestanio 
#1 ·
Hey all, just moved to PR from Ireland for work and I'm looking for like minded souls to hit any local trails with.
I'm used to XC and single track back home but I'm quite happy to take on more adventurous technical trails too. (although not always successfully!!)
So if anyone out there is willing ride out and show me around i'd really appreciate. I can always be relied on for a few rewarding cold ones afterwards!

#4 ·
Yes...it's been way too rainy. I'm thinking of driving to the Los Pinchos trail in Salinas on Sunday if it doesn't get any muddier than it is. Do you know this trail?
There's another alternative in the north coast by Dorado, called Cerro Gordo. It's usually good even if it's rainy, but these rains have been way too much. It is a trail with lots of roots and some can get slippery.
The other nearby option, Monagas, is soapy slippery these days.
jd

#6 ·
It's very easy to get there. Just past the toll when you come down the last hill on #52 from Cayey, first exit to the right. It's on the rolling hills at the right side of the highway. 7 kms of varied terrain. Some streams to cross, got to be swollen these days.

I will keep in touch with some local friends and watching the doppler radar. I will make the decision later tomorrow. This trail, when muddy, gets sticky....unrideable. Ah, and it's very very, thorny, tubeless with stan's required.
Slime tubes have had some success there. It should be overgrown because of the rains, possibly rendering Slimes useless.

I will P.M. my phone number. Please text or call me back so that i can have your # in my contact list.

jd

#9 ·
Whats up guys! I also just recently moved down to PR for work and have been looking for some places to go riding at. So far I have only gone to the place by the Gulf refinery, which is now Puma refinery (my buddy had an extra bike). I have heard good things about the trails by Cabo Rojo, but haven't had the chance to go yet.. I am in the process of having my bike shipped here and should have it some time next week. Would any of you guys be interested in possibly going next weekend?? I live in San Juan currently, but drive everyday to Arecibo for work, so I could always bring my bike to work for an afternoon ride(after 5) if there is anything worth going to around Arecibo... hit me up! lets shred:thumbsup:

#10 ·
Hi there ! So you've been riding at Monagas?! How has it been? :D
I am planning on riding there next sunday, if it doesn't rain and become super slippery. If such is the case, we might go to Cerro Gordo, in Dorado-Toa Baja, which is very accesible from the highway #22 and is quite resistant to rain. It's very similar to Monagas because of it's twisty singletrack nature although not as technical. Many riders like this trail and ride there after work and even at night.

The trails in Cabo Rojo, Lajas and Guanica are a mix of singletrack, jeep and motorcycle trails, interconnected and nice enough for epic 4 hr rides. We are planning a weekend outing in mid July for such an epic over there !

Any hardtail bike will be sufficient for our trails here. A word of note: strongly suggest stan's tubeless or at least slime tubes for any south coast riding, including Pinchos trail in Salinas and any other in that region, including, Cabo Rojo....thorn county !

Send me your phone # via private mssg, i'll reply with mine

jd

#13 ·
Whats up man. Tried to send a pm, but I don't have enough posts yet. Still trying to decide what bike to buy, I couldn't reach an agreement with the guy on the one I was going to buy so I'm still looking. I have one at my home in the states, but no one to send it to me.. Hopefully I will have one soon and we can go riding. I'll let you guys know when I get my ride.

#16 ·
Register to find out where people are riding and to get an insight of the local scene: http://borikenmtb.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=borikenmtb

I'm in San Juan and don't ride as much as would like to. Trails near are Monagas in Bayamon, Cerro Gordo in Vega Alta, Florida, Cambalache Forest in Arecibo. There are trails in Aguadilla, Añasco, Rincon, Salinas, Ponce, Guanica and Cabo Rojo which is called by many the mtb capital of the island.

If you don't have a bike I have a friend that has more than one, PM me if you need more info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.