Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Scottsdale Public Hearing for trail in Granite Mountain area

2K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  Bubba Dinglespeed 
#1 ·
this is from a city press release, regarding the trails around Alma School and Dynamite road.

Scottsdale seeks input regarding trails in the Granite Mountain area

Scottsdale is applying for a land use permit that would put more than 10,000 acres of state trust land north of Dynamite Boulevard under city oversight. Scottsdale plans eventually to acquire the land as part of the McDowell Sonoran Preserve and this move is intended to limit damage to the land while continuing to allow public access to some or all of the property.

Public comment is invited during a joint meeting of the Parks and Recreation Commission and the McDowell Sonoran Preserve Commission, which will take place at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, May 5, at the Granite Reef Senior Center, Room 1 (1700 N. Granite Reef Road; just north of McDowell Road).

The commissions will hear a staff report and discuss the types of uses that the city might restrict on the land, which surrounds the northern Scottsdale landmark of Granite Mountain.

Under a special land use permit from the State of Arizona, Scottsdale would take on a more specific set of responsibilities for operating and maintaining a trails system in the area, which might include additional restrictions on access to trails.

The State Land Department has allowed non-motorized uses, such as hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking and horse riding on the property with the proper permits. These uses would likely continue to be permitted in the Granite Mountain area.

Motorized recreational vehicles are not currently authorized in the area, and that restriction would continue under Scottsdale oversight. The State Land Department does allow off-road vehicle tours on designated trails with the appropriate permits, and the city is planning a transition period during which off-road tour providers could continue to operate.

Unless preserve rules change, however, off-road tours (like other off-highway vehicles) eventually would be prohibited in the area as Scottsdale purchases more land.

For more information about Scottsdale's McDowell Sonoran Preserve visit www.scottsdaleaz.gov/preserve.

See less See more
#4 ·
berzerker said:
Nice! They make public meetings for these issues on weekdays when most people are working or on their way home. That way no one is there to voice their opinion. Way to go Scottsdale. You have acheived a new high of ******-baggery.
Come on man. 5:30 is pretty reasonable. Now, if you go there and they don't have sparkling water and free valet service then you have something to complain about.

#5 ·
berzerker said:
Nice! They make public meetings for these issues on weekdays when most people are working or on their way home. That way no one is there to voice their opinion. Way to go Scottsdale. You have acheived a new high of ******-baggery.
that time frame is pretty consistent with most public meetings held by most cities, the idea that they still want people to be able to get home to their families etc before 10pm, otherwise no one would come to voice their opinion.

#6 ·
berzerker said:
You're looking at this from the wrong angle. Knowing your position, I would suggest you inquire about being a LBS representative at said meeting. I'm sure your boss would allow you to represent being the best Bike shop in town. Oh wait my parts are still not in, never mind. :D

#9 ·
berzerker said:
Is today "get mad at the most innocuous s**t day"? I'm pretty upset I wasn't notified....

#10 ·
Not only am I still working at 5:30, but I'm working in Canada, so I can't make the meeting. What I would like to know, if anyone here can ask when they attend, is if the recent closure to off-highway vehicles has reduced the air quality issues that they "intended" to improve? Taking into consideration, of course and eliminating wind, precipitation, agriculture, and construction fluctuations.

#11 ·
DonRastafari said:
Not only am I still working at 5:30, but I'm working in Canada, so I can't make the meeting. What I would like to know, if anyone here can ask when they attend, is if the recent closure to off-highway vehicles has reduced the air quality issues that they "intended" to improve? Taking into consideration, of course and eliminating wind, precipitation, agriculture, and construction fluctuations.
there are email contacts on the City site, and will be further meetings in June.

#13 ·
PhxChem said:
Is today "get mad at the most innocuous s**t day"? I'm pretty upset I wasn't notified....
So, they take away an area that has been used by OHVers for the last 50+ years because a few wealthy residents decided to move in and they don't like dust. Then they tell the rest of the users, mtb's-hikers-equestrians, that they have to pay to access the area. Now they want to take public land and make it private. I don't see how this is innocuous in any way.
This is the same ridiculous mentality as those who move next to an Air Force base and complain about noise.
I'm feeling like stirring up some dust....BBBRRRRAAAAAAPPP:thumbsup: :D

#17 ·
longhairmike said:
i have yet to visit scottsdale,, is it really all 90210ish?
for the record here, about half of my t-shirts have the sleeves hacked off...
I always struggle to answer that one. Yes and No. coming from someone who moved here (Scottsdale) pretty recently from your neighbor state of IN, funny you mention that. I have the same "problem" with my shirts too.

Did I miss something in the original post or didn't is say motorized vehicles aren't allowed in this particular area in question currently and that won't check when Scottsdale takes over. What's the problem? Or are people talking about a different area that was taken over at some other time?

#18 ·
tonebone2000 said:
I always struggle to answer that one. Yes and No. coming from someone who moved here (Scottsdale) pretty recently from your neighbor state of IN, funny you mention that. I have the same "problem" with my shirts too.
lol, +1

tonebone2000 said:
Did I miss something in the original post or didn't is say motorized vehicles aren't allowed in this particular area in question currently and that won't check when Scottsdale takes over. What's the problem? Or are people talking about a different area that was taken over at some other time?
they are wanting to revisit Roe v. Wade.

#23 ·
tonebone2000 said:
Sorry, I didn't clarify what I was rambling about. A while back, Scottsdale decided to close Granite Mountain Area to motorized use, under the clean air blanket excuse. Claiming too much dust. Even though I doubt a few squids doing doughnuts in the parking lot and the rest of us riding as normal people do causes anywhere near as much dust as agriculture and construction. As it was pointed out up the page some, it was more likely because the Richie Rich's moved in all around an esablished riding area then complained that it was too noisy and ruining the pristine desert...blah blah, bs.

#25 ·
Don't necessarily follow the logic of the 90210 reference, but that area of Scottsdale is about as far from "glamour" as you can get. There will be probably 15-20 transients standing by both the AM/PM and the 7-11 on the corners. And right across Granite Reef you'll find our lovely day labor center and the illustrious Playa Bar, which opens at 7 a.m. for all your drinking needs. Enjoy :thumbsup:

#26 ·
Blatant said:
Don't necessarily follow the logic of the 90210 reference, but that area of Scottsdale is about as far from "glamour" as you can get. There will be probably 15-20 transients standing by both the AM/PM and the 7-11 on the corners. And right across Granite Reef you'll find our lovely day labor center and the illustrious Playa Bar, which opens at 7 a.m. for all your drinking needs. Enjoy :thumbsup:
Lived is Scottsdale all my life. Sure there are some nice homes in certain sections. Just as there are in PV, Fountain Hills and the Foothills area. Phoenix has some pricey homes also. People like to stereo type for their on reasons! :nono:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.