Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which Carbon Frame should Turner make first?

Which Carbon Model should Turner make first?

13K views 112 replies 62 participants last post by  myitch 
#1 ·
Just out of interest -

If or when Turner start selling carbon frame options - which model would you like to see produced first?

1 - Flux - 105mm travel
2 - New model - ???? 125mm travel
3 - Sultan - 125mm travel
4 - New model 29r - ???? 140mm travel
5 - 5.5Spot - 140mm travel
6 - RFX - 165mm travel
7 - DHR - 210mm travel

Also - would you like to see the 5.5Spot increased to 150mm (so called the 6Spot)?

125mm XC/Trail bikes seem to be mtb magizines "frame travel of choice" at the moment, so should Turner enter into the catagory?

(For the record I have a HL Flux and a DW 5.5Spot)

#75 ·
Interesting but where will the bikes be made? Once they move oversees they lose some luster in my mind; not because Pacific Rim bikes are crap but because Turner is all about Made in America by a guy with a welder and a Diet Coke. You know, it looks and smells like a Turner, with alloy and all that....

#92 ·
I would strongly consider an alloy Tallboy just because I am a retro grouch and still like the idea of alloy over carbon bikes. I have seen smucked up carbon bikes: dents in plastic, etc.

I was at a race the other day and someone had a broke carbon seat and seatpost in their hands. Ugh!

#12 ·
DHR- it's the only purebred race bike of the bunch, and as such the only one that has any business being carbon IMO. Although I suppose if the Flux lost a couple pounds it would be right in the mix with the XC whippets.

I'd rather see it go the other direction- bump up the rear travel another 15mm to 120mm, but keep the frame weight around six pounds. If the 5 Spot can gain ~1/2" travel but only 1/2 lb. since its introduction, I don't see why the same couldn't be done for the Flux.

#14 ·
I went into a bike shop a couple of years ago looking at a new bike (pre turner days), I asked what is the warrantee on that carbon bike?
"1 year, it would be worn out after then anyway" came the response.
If I was to buy carbon I'd like it to last a little longer than a year.

#15 ·
therollex said:
I went into a bike shop a couple of years ago looking at a new bike (pre turner days), I asked what is the warrantee on that carbon bike?
"1 year, it would be worn out after then anyway" came the response.
If I was to buy carbon I'd like it to last a little longer than a year.
Easy now therollex. I got verbally assaulted for suggesting that carbon fiber bikes are not durable on the "Ahem" thread. People also insulted my integrity for going out of my way to buy American and me claiming that American made products are better quality.

#17 ·
I would like to see 120-125mm but not in CF... I think it would be a bad choice to produce any of the current bikes in CF especially since the CF bikes will be made overseas (unless all of the bikes are going to be produced overseas). Turners are also known for reliability and CF is not... Given that I would restrict the CF to race platforms only. I would hate to see the Turner brand follow Titus's footsteps.

#18 ·
ok so what's the big thing about carbon in bikes? I appreciate that it's light and strong and it can be woven to produce flex or a lack of but really at what cost?
much of the carbon fibre production in the world is poorly regulated and the health and safety of the workers is questionable also how do you recycle carbon fibre?
i'm aware of a full sus frame which has a steel front end and a alloy rear and it rides superbly and is a sensible weight.
steel and alloy are still brilliant materials when applied to the best of their abilities.......
but then this is from someone who rides a highline as their everyday bike (read only) and weighs 220lbs ish

#19 ·
"SuperFlux" with 120-125mm

FireLikeIYA said:
I would like to see 120-125mm but not in CF... I think it would be a bad choice to produce any of the current bikes in CF especially since the CF bikes will be made overseas (unless all of the bikes are going to be produced overseas). Turners are also known for reliability and CF is not... Given that I would restrict the CF to race platforms only. I would hate to see the Turner brand follow Titus's footsteps.
I would be keen to see a "SuperFlux" with 120-125mm travel built at sub 6 pounds, but not too fussed on it being CF or not. With the economic downturn as it is at the moment, adding a new model would be a brave move, but if there is a good market for it then could well be justified. I think some riders are hesitant to go for a bike with 140mm travel as they think it is too much and they may think 100mm is too small. Just like goldilocks - maybe the 120mm will be "Just Right".

I came from an XC background because that is what we rode back it the day when I started MTBing in '94. I got a Trek Fuel with 100mm travel in 2001 as it felt like what I was used to riding. I also tried an endruo on the day too but thought this was too much for me (in the carpark).

I replaced the Fuel with a HL Flux (after reading this forum) and at the time I thought the 5Spot was too much bike for me. After reading all the time in the MTB mags how 140mm is what "you have to have".....etc.... the next time I was getting a new bike I got a 5Spot. Turns out the 5Spot is funkin awesome and totally the bike for me and that I am not really that XC guy after all.

A 125mm bike is in the sweet spot of not being "too XC" or "full on Trail". So if Turner are looking at jumping in on the CF game they could start with a new model so that the existing models can continue selling and then in a few years introduce the all new Turner 6Spot Carbon once it has been proven that TurnerCF rocks!

Manufacture is another subject - I'm leaving this up to DT to do whatever has to do and will fully support Turner and their bikes. :thumbsup:

#23 ·
The 5 Spot. This is the hot market, lightweight trail bikes. Specialized, Ibis, Yeti, Santa Cruz, Trek, and Giant all have carbon bikes in market. Given the majors are pricing their carbon pretty high, it gives an opportunity for Turner to offer a carbon bike a nearly the same price.

If Dave adds a bike to the line, I would like to see a carbon hardtail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.