Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What would you upgrade on '11 Fuel EX 8?

609 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Clones123 
#1 ·
If you had about a grand to spend, what would you upgrade on a '11 Fuel EX 8, if anything?

#3 ·
I would spend the money on a fork with a 15mm qr and have your front wheel relaced with a new hub. No point in upgrading the wheel set with 9mm qr...sorry, but that axle belongs on road bikes, not mountain bikes.

I went from a 9mm qr to a 15mm and there is no way I will get another bike with standard qr unless it's a road bike or a commuter.

#4 ·
Endothermic Cavewalker said:
I would spend the money on a fork with a 15mm qr and have your front wheel relaced with a new hub. No point in upgrading the wheel set with 9mm qr...sorry, but that axle belongs on road bikes, not mountain bikes.

I went from a 9mm qr to a 15mm and there is no way I will get another bike with standard qr unless it's a road bike or a commuter.
I'd say that step one is to buy a wheelset that is BOTH 9mm AND 15mm compatible and then next buy a 15mm fork. Unless a guy thinks he wants to go 20mm TA which drastically limits options - likely you'd need to buy a 20mm wheelset and fork together.

I just bought a Easton Haven wheelset which is 9mm and 15mm compatible out of the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.