Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Coming from a full rigid...

617 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Kouki_Monstah 
#1 ·
First off, I'm not sure where I should post this. I'm not necessarily a beginner, but I am not too knowledgable with the new bikes. I mean, I do know what component groups are the best, cheap hydros aren't as good as a set of good mechanical's, etc.

I ride mainly single track, nothing too extreem... I ride a 1997 Trek 830, full rigid I remind you, that has been nothing but a tank for years and years. It wasn't by any means considered a top of the line bike in 1997, but even with it's mid to low component group... not a single thing has broken (outside of tubes/ tires,) and everything still works tip top shape. I do however wear thick gel padded gloves, and run lower pressure up front for a pneumatic effect... all to overcome the full rigid. I've been riding my local "lake trail" that has a fair amount of tough ascends, decently fast descends over shale, roots, boulders, etc. (no jumps,) and a few switchbacks all in a 6 mile loop.

I'm getting older. After rides, my upper body fells sore. As I type this, I'm having some serious pain in my left elbow. Thus, I'm looking into upgrading into a new bike. I'm trying to stay with-in a budget of $500-600. I want better performing brakes (discs are a must,) and a suspension fork with a lockout.

I understand I'm looking at bikes with not the best components in this price range, I'm fine with that. I'm more concerned with the forks in this price range. Most are SR Suntour, Rockshox, etc. They either have Mechanical or Hydraulic Lockouts... which brings me to my first question. All the bikes I've tested out (everything I've ridden feels great and such an improvement over my current rig) I've noticed that I can't lockout the mechanical forks while my weight (140lbs) is on the bike. Is this the only difference between mechanical and hydraulic?

Secondly, most reviews of entry level bikes... are written by first time riders that seem to bash how crappy the fork is. With proper pre-load adjustment, will these entry level forks help reduce these pains I'm suffering due to riding a full rigid?

Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.