Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Riding Alone a Big No-No?

5K views 63 replies 44 participants last post by  B42 
#1 ·
I work from home which affords me the opportunity to occasionally hit a trail during the weekday. My biking friends aren't available then so if I want to ride it would be by myself.

The trails I ride are not technically difficult but that doesn't mean I can't have a freak fall. I do let my better half know when I start and when I finish and when I should be expected to finish. The trails aren't backwoods and there are usually hikers or other bikers around (but its not like its a constant flow of traffic so it could be minutes or hours before someone else comes around).

Is it just too risky to hit the trails alone?

#4 ·
Certainly not a huge no-no. It depends totally on the trail, your abilities, the area, your familiarity with the trail, etc.

From your description of the trail you should be fine. You let someone know when you are going and when you should be expected back. The only other thing I would do is take a phone and have it turned on. And if your phone has the option turn the internal locator (gps) from 911 only to normal. That way you can be located even if not making a call.

Anyway, riding alone is a big no-no on new to you, or highly technical trails. But a mild XC ride on local trails that you are familiar with should be fine. As noted, stuff happens though. But with a bit of care and caution, "just in case", it shouldn't be a big deal. Likely not as hazardous as commuting to work on a bike on city streets!

Good Dirt

#11 ·
Yep, do it all the time. I did it yesturday, back country on a technical trail with terrible winds. Only saw a handful of riders and 1 hiker. And as usual I forgot to tell anyone where I was going =(
One thing though, I take it a little easier and ride within my abilities.... sometimes.

In addition to typical riding gear, I usually carry a cellphone, knife, flashlight and sweater. Just in case.

****, I just re-read my post... I'm just asking for a "127 Hours: The Squeal"

#12 ·
Yup. I carry a 4in fixed blade Gerber on my hydrapack front strap so its nice and handy. Prolly will never use it for anything but you never know. I guess I'm waiting for a man eating chipmunk to attack me. All I know is that I can't out bike a mountain lion, out muscle a bear, or out smart a coyote.

#13 ·
Ride with your phone and all the tools you'll need in case of a break down. Just know your limits, you can push them when someone is there, and don't when your by yourself. Usually, if I am by myself I just hit the XC loop and stick to easy stuff; then when I am with my friends I can ride the riskier stunts, sketchy stuff, etc.

#15 ·
I'm in the same boat as you. My riding buddies are only available on weekends. However, I still ride the rocky, rooty technical terrain by myself - I just ride it slower and avoid the real nasty sections that you really can't ride slow..

FWIW, my nastiest mountain bike injuries have been on mellow terrain. No doubt from not paying close enough attention on familiar easy trails.

#16 ·
I rode alone the other day during the week. Clearly not an astute decision, I failed to let anyone know. Well, as it turns out, I went down hard and was out for some time. Luckily, I was able to recovery and make my way out, slowly. If my injuries would have been more severe, I could have been out there all day, perhaps longer. Next time I decide to ride solo, I will definitely let my partner know. Learned the hard way!

#17 ·
Alone

I have ridden for years alone in some pretty remote areas (prior to cell phones). If its a local trail, no biggie but if you are in a remote area where you might not be found for days I suggest you carry plenty to eat and drink for an extended period. Also carry tools and the critical parts (chain links, der hanger, tube, etc.) Fire, make sure you have a full bic and a tube of superglue. You might want to consider not doing that 5 ft. drop alone 30 miles from nowhere. :thumbsup:

#18 ·
I ride alone most of the time. I have always let my parents, roommate, girlfriend, whoever would know I was missing when I was leaving, where I was going and when to expect me back. If I'm ok but running late I call them to let them know. At least that way if the worst happens people won't be waiting days to look for me.

Like others, depending on the ride I take more gear with me. Depending on the ride I'll take a fire starting stuff, a knife, Leatherman, flashlight, compass, etc. I don't want to need to depend on my phone or someone seeing me!

#19 ·
D-Avid said:
Yup. I carry a 4in fixed blade Gerber on my hydrapack front strap so its nice and handy. Prolly will never use it for anything but you never know. I guess I'm waiting for a man eating chipmunk to attack me. All I know is that I can't out bike a mountain lion, out muscle a bear, or out smart a coyote.
Hahahaha! Exactly how I feel. And I get ragged on on the time by everyone for carrying a knife everywhere =P

#20 ·
I ride alone all the time. In my back jersey pocket I have my ID and insurance card. In my camelbak I carry my cell phone with me.

I do not always tell someone that I am going but not the biggest deal. The local trails are fairly popular so a rider would come by and see me at some point if I was knock out. Not that anything has happen to me yet other than bruised ego and minor cuts and bruises but I always have my cell phone on my for if something does go wrong and god forbid something big I have my ID on me.

I hardly ever ride with someone else. Most of the time is solo.

#21 ·
Riding alone is no big deal but if you are somewhat new to the sport then you'd want a good system to let others know where you ride.

My buddies and I text each other if we hit the trail alone. Some trail we ride are a bit quiet and has less traffic on the weekday so always a good idea that a friend who know that trail acknowledge where we are. Once back to the car just a quick text to say you are done.

A few times after 4 hrs and no text back, I called sure enough one of my friend had a flat and took longer to get back.

#22 ·
I ride alone all the time.
No cell service where I ride. I know T-Mobile is crap in that area so as soon as contract is up going to switch carrier and hopefully get "some" service there.

I always toss in a couple extra Clif bars in my camelback, I also have a 2 day first aid kit.
what I dont have is extra chain link or derail hanger, I need to fix that oversight.

I dont ride techy stuff. I keep it mild. I'm not afraid of hiking over parts i'm not sure of as I feel better safe than sorry. I also know my limits, ride slow, and take frequent breaks, mostly to enjoy the scenery but also to help make sure I dont over-exert myself.

I live alone as i'm married to my bike and boat. sometimes I tell people where i'm going but more often than not I just go ride.

The trails I ride are not hugely popular, so if something drastic happens, I could be out there for days.

overall, not too worried about a problem on my end. mostly worried about going around a corner into hikers or maybe the rare MTB'er coming the other way.

#24 ·
Whacked said:
I ride alone all the time.
No cell service where I ride. I know T-Mobile is crap in that area so as soon as contract is up going to switch carrier and hopefully get "some" service there.

I always toss in a couple extra Clif bars in my camelback, I also have a 2 day first aid kit.
what I dont have is extra chain link or derail hanger, I need to fix that oversight.

I dont ride techy stuff. I keep it mild. I'm not afraid of hiking over parts i'm not sure of as I feel better safe than sorry. I also know my limits, ride slow, and take frequent breaks, mostly to enjoy the scenery but also to help make sure I dont over-exert myself.

I live alone as i'm married to my bike and boat. sometimes I tell people where i'm going but more often than not I just go ride.

The trails I ride are not hugely popular, so if something drastic happens, I could be out there for days.

overall, not too worried about a problem on my end. mostly worried about going around a corner into hikers or maybe the rare MTB'er coming the other way.
Yeah forgot about that little fact. I learned the hard way to always carry a little food on me in my camelbak. I normally carry a Zone bar or 2 to cover me if I have a hypoglycemic attack on the trails as I am hypoglycemic and I can tell you first hand it sucks to have one of those hit you when you are middle of the trails and it is about 2-3 miles best case before you can even make it back to your car. I plan on getting some cliff gel and always carry a few of them for the same reason.

It is mostly know you body. Depending on the person some people it just a painful hungry ride back to the car. For me a very hard ride back as I was physically shaky and had very little balance along with my focus was shot to hell. It was taking everything out of me just to pedal my way out slowly. Now I carry a little food on me and if I feel one coming on I will eat it and that normally buys me enough time to finish my ride.

#26 ·
Because of my job I end up riding alone 90% of the time, mid day, on a week day. I ride the more popular trails, carry plenty of water and a mini first aid kid. I have a large first aid kit in the Jeep. Carry my cell phone and I let my wife know where I am and my planned route (what loops I will take).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.