Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Would this be a good upgrade?

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  jeffj 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 Specialized hardrock and am thinking that I would like a more rugged fork. I don't want to break the bank and since I am relatively new to the sport I am not quite sure what to do. I am looking at an 09 rockshox domain 302 and will post the specs for it. I would like your opinions as well as if the thing will even fit on my bike.

• Travel - 115-160mm
• Travel Adjust - U-Turn
• Weight* - 2880g (6.35 lbs)
• Spring - Coil U-Turn
• Spring Adjust - Change spring
• Damping - Rebound
• Damping Adjust - External Rebound
• Lowers - Magnesium, Maxle 360 20mm axle, post disc mount
• Crown - Forged, hollow AL 66 TV, anodized aluminium
• Steerer Tube - 1.5"
• Upper Tubes - 35mm, 4130 taper wall steel, chrome
• Standard Colors - Red
• Suggested Rear Shox - Vivid
• Max. Recommended Rotor Size - 210mm

Also here is the URL http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29839

See less See more
#5 ·
I agree with you , but with college right around the corner I don't see a new bike coming up anytime in the next five to six years so I am kind of trying to piece together a rather descent bike for myself to bring along to college as there are numerous trails around me.

#8 ·
If you could score a reba cheap that would be great. Cheaper options would be a recon or tora though a bit heavier than the reba and not as adjustable. A quick google search of your bike showed a marz mz comp as the fork on the top level hardrock. A recon or reba would b a bi improvement over what u have. Look for a recon or tora with motion control, not turn-key damping. Rebas already have motion control. rebas also come with dual air which I think is the best spring system out there for xc and aggressive xc riding.

#12 ·
I ride really a bit of everything, haven't got into any DH yet but i would like a fork that really has descent all purpose use, can any body help me find a cheap reba or what would the reba's equivalent be in a Marz or fox as far a specs and price.

#15 · (Edited)
Before you order that fork, I would call Marzocchi directly at: (661) 257-6630 and ask to speak to someone on their tech staff or in the service department to double check that this fork will work at 100mm or 80mm.

The website only shows it being able to go at either 140mm or 120mm. I get that you may be able to stuff more spacers onto the shaft, but it (the valving) may not work correctly. If they give the go-ahead on that, let us know. It would be another good, budget alternative in that travel range.

As for the fork itself, I have only used the 44 TST2 and the 44 Micro-Ti, and like them both. The Micro-Ti has been especially sweet. I have read some good reviews of the RLO and users say it is a surprisingly good performing fork for the money. They also have a three year warranty, you just have to hope you don't have to use it too many times.

BTW: The 44 RLO is available in the states for $279.00 here:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?Item=100050662
===========================
The Domain is definitely waaaaaaay too much fork for that bike. No use having all that weight in a travel range that isn't it your bike's 'wheelhouse' for a good all-around performing bike.
===========================
How about this fork?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=59669

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.