Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Park Service and National

2K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  SHNIPE 
#1 ·
The park service blocked many of the fun variation sections today on National. They even dug out a fun little kicker jump. They blocked a lot off with big branches and rocks. I wonder if they will be doing more?

#2 ·
*******s, they think they own what was given to us...Planet earth. I had one tell us to slow down today on our way down...I don't believe there is a speed limit on any of these trails. As long as we ride safe and pay attention to others on the trail there are no LEGAL LAWS governing the way we operate our bikes on National.

#3 ·
I bet the lines they were blocking off weren't even on the trail. How dare they try to block something off like that. Unbelievable. It's like they think that in a city of millions of people that off trail "variations" could become a big problem quickly. You should show them how wrong they are by speeding down the fire road and hitting as many hikers as possible. There are no laws against it!

#4 ·
OK. before this threaad gets too silly I will use my infinite wisdom to pacify all sides of the argument.
1. Don't ride on one or Phoenix's most traveled trails like an ahole. Especially during tourist season.
2. Riding like an ahole includes hauling ass and scaring old Canadians regardless if "you were in control."
3. Blocking off trail lines and flattening "kickers" is part of the deal. Grow up and stop being a pansy.
4. Don't pull the locals' rule crap on National Trail. This is not The Lords of Dogtown. This is a city park in the 6th largest city in the USA.
5. Please mix me another drink. NOW!
6. You should earn your turns anyway.
7. This has nothing to do with the "taxes you pay just like everyone else."
8. Just kidding for Christ's sake!

#5 ·
chongoman said:
OK. before this threaad gets too silly I will use my infinite wisdom to pacify all sides of the argument.
1. Don't ride on one or Phoenix's most traveled trails like an ahole. Especially during tourist season.
2. Riding like an ahole includes hauling ass and scaring old Canadians regardless if "you were in control."
3. Blocking off trail lines and flattening "kickers" is part of the deal. Grow up and stop being a pansy.
4. Don't pull the locals' rule crap on National Trail. This is not The Lords of Dogtown. This is a city park in the 6th largest city in the USA.
Well said! I am mixing you a drink as we speak. I might drink it myself before we meet though. My bad!

#6 ·
tonebone2000 said:
I bet the lines they were blocking off weren't even on the trail. How dare they try to block something off like that. Unbelievable. It's like they think that in a city of millions of people that off trail "variations" could become a big problem quickly. You should show them how wrong they are by speeding down the fire road and hitting as many hikers as possible. There are no laws against it!
I hear what you are saying about off trail variations! However, a lot of these were right next to the trail and were rock only variations. You could ride them 1,000 times and it would not have created an "off trail" trail. The little jump was actually on the trail and the trail is still there.

#7 ·
chongoman said:
LMAO!

#8 ·
Its what happens when people wanna modifiy the existing trail...its gonna be blocked off/removed. Its a preserve for a reason . So enjoy those lil bits when they show up but no need to cry when they disappear..

#9 ·
chongoman said:
Like the guy who screamed "commin' down" as his warning he was riding the waterfall.

The clown gave no other consideration other than a 5 second warning by yelling at the top of his lungs as he was riding, didn't bother looking to make sure it was clear, didn't know if he was about to run over an old lady or kids, didn' know if someone was hiking their bike up. This guy wasn't going to let anyone mess up his flow...what a clown.

#11 ·
AKA Monkeybutt said:
Like the guy who screamed "commin' down" as his warning he was riding the waterfall.

The clown gave no other consideration other than a 5 second warning by yelling at the top of his lungs as he was riding, didn't bother looking to make sure it was clear, didn't know if he was about to run over an old lady or kids, didn' know if someone was hiking their bike up. This guy wasn't going to let anyone mess up his flow...what a clown.
:rolleyes:
What if he did make sure nobody was coming? And he made a warning yell as a courtesy just in case there was someone jogging up when he was half way down and couldn't stop? Would you rather someone come to a complete stop, look both ways, before proceeding to something technical?... or maybe use a whistle, a cow bell and strobe lights on their bikes?

#16 ·
kubo said:
:rolleyes:
What if he did make sure nobody was coming? And he made a warning yell as a courtesy just in case there was someone jogging up when he was half way down and couldn't stop? Would you rather someone come to a complete stop, look both ways, before proceeding to something technical?... or maybe use a whistle, a cow bell and strobe lights on their bikes?
Trust me, he didn't. We were parked way above the falls eating.

#19 ·
I ride with a cowbell very often, especially on weekends. I also know enough to stop at the cool sections just to make sure I'll get a clear run down it. Never really seems to ruin my flow and I have NEVER had an issue with other trail users. Always remember, that Park predates any mountain bike by a huge margin so never take access for granted.

#20 ·
No one comes up on the waterfall without knowing about it....and if they do, they WILL pull over. Expecting to just roll up and send it without a spot is a D-double-OU-SHE move IMO. It pretty much puts you in the same category as snowboarders that sit on their @$$'es just below a blind rollover......

.....yeah.....I just went there.....

#21 ·
you talking about that little drop/jump thing right at the end of national where mormon trail starts, in front of that big pile of rocks? a few weeks ago that was closed off by branches and rocks too, I cleared a section big enough for my tires to go through without it looking like it was cleared, im sure a little modification can take place that wont piss everyone off for the rest of the sections... so long as its discrete... ill ride it wednesday and see whats up.

#25 ·
longhairmike said:
today on somo i not only saw a blue bag,, but a black one, a clear one, a target one, and a neon green one hanging from a tree branch... and then i got to chase a chuckwalla,,
:eekster:
Egads! They're breeding! (the bags, not the Chuckwallas)*
And producing mutants! :eek:

*I'm sure that they are breeding too, but we can't discuss that; we wouldn't want this threads' content rating pushed past PG-13 would we?! :thumbsup:

#26 ·
Maadjurguer said:
No one comes up on the waterfall without knowing about it....and if they do, they WILL pull over. Expecting to just roll up and send it without a spot is a D-double-OU-SHE move IMO. It pretty much puts you in the same category as snowboarders that sit on their @$$'es just below a blind rollover......

.....yeah.....I just went there.....
Oh no U didn't! Anybody on the downhill side of a blind roll over is new to the sport of "skiing" (I use that as a general gravity term).

The quickest way to teach a skier how to keep in mind that they have long poles attached to their hands in the lift line is to... insert comment here. Personally I like to bend them to shorten the fatality radius.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.