Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

what do you think about this bike?

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Colo Springs E 
#1 ·
what do you think about this hardtail bike.

Frame AltairX Custom Butted-Aluminum Trail-Tuned POWER STAY frame, reinforced-gussetted downtube, sculpted rear dropouts with replaceable rear derailleur hanger, H2O boss, International Standard rear disc mounts. Rear rack mounting points.
Fork 26" SUSPENSION FORK, ROCK SHOX DART2 W/TURN-KEY LOCK
ALLOY BLACK CROWN, adjustable preload, DiscBrake postmounts
Crankset TruVativ X-FLOW square taper or IsoFlow PowerSpline (cannot choose), Aluminum Triple 22/32/44T, 175mm
Bottom Bracket Sealed Cartridge
Pedals ATB Beartrap, resin body, metal cage
Front Derailleur SHIMANO DEORE FD-M510, Top Swing
Rear Derailleur SHIMANO DEORE SLX RDM-662SGS BLACK long cage (H normal / not rapidrise)
Shifters SHIMANO Alivio SL-M410 Mega 8 Speed STI Rapidfire Pods (24 speeds total)
Cassette/Freewheel SHIMANO CS-HG30-8I 11-30T
Chain 8 Speed Z72 Narrow
Hubs DiscSpecific Aluminum (black) Sealed Bearing mechanism
Spokes 14G Stainless Steel
Rims WTB Speed Disc Double Wall Aluminum disc specific
Tires WTB Velociraptor Blackwall 26 x 2.10 (front and rear specific tread)
Brakes TEKTRO NOVELA Mechanical Disc Brakes, Ventilated Steel Disc Rotors (round or wave/no choice)
Brake Levers TEKTRO MT2.1 for Disc with aluminum lever
Headset Internal Sealed bearing VP A71 1.125 inch
Handlebar Comp Aluminum Riser, 25.4mm clamp diameter
W:620MMxR:30MMx6 DEGREES
Stem Comp Threadless Aluminum 1.125 inch
Tape/Grip WTB Dual Compound Trail
Saddle WTB Speed V Sport with comfort groove
Seat Post Aluminum Micro-Adjust 27.2x300mm
Seat Clamp Aluminum w/QR

See less See more
#2 ·
what's the price? what kind of riding will you be doing on it? seems to have decent components (save for the fork, those Dart's suck balls) and if the price is right, and it suits your terrain, then that's all you need and you're good to go.

#4 ·
It's easy to find out which bike has those components. Just google the first couple of lines.

Someone recently got the 1500 and was happy with it. The only thing that would concern me is the weight. I believe he mentioned it weighs almost 35 lbs. At the same price, I would go with the Forge Sawback. It weighs much less. You can find plenty of info on both if you search.

#7 ·
If you don't have all the tools and skills to assemble and maintain that bike, factor into that cost what you will have to pay a bike shop to assemble and tune up the bike. most bike shops factor that into their prices too, they have to pay staff to do those things, so they cost a little more.

#9 ·
I agree that Dart forks aren't so bad, at least for beginners. I have a Windsor Cliff 4500, and it has an RST Capa, which is like a pogo stick compared to the Dart 2 fork on my other bike. The downside of the Dart 2 fork is that it is HEAVY, but it seems to do the job for me.

As far as the bike is concerned, its about the best bike you are going to get for that pricepoint. At some point, you may want to upgrade to a better frame, but for starting out, I don't see how you can go wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.