Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Surly Troll...

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  onelegchris 
#1 ·
have finally cobbled together all the parts I'll need for my troll build, and a mere 2 item sales away from the 500$ I'll need to purchase the frame <duno how much extra bb/crank and headset installation going to cost me>

Im starting to think...did I shop around enough?

Does anyone know of any other bikes that will fit my criteria?

I am making a general 'all around bike' which for me means all lengths of rides, for general leisure time, commuting, some off road if I can ever find any trails around here, and then the longer touring that Ive been planning.

~steel [for durability, weight not a huge deal for me]
~26'' [comfortable --lower to the ground, added durability and availability is nice]
~disc brake [rim brake option would be nice]
~ front and rear racks and fender mounts
also having some trouble with the fitting, planning on writing my final frame decision's geo down, and just riding similar ones in the LBS if he's got any -- any other helpful hiints?

I ask because Im not sure whether to go with the 18 or 20'' troll, at around 6 foot with 32" inseem...give or take....my cannondale h800's 32" standover is just too tall for comfort

tl;dr? look at quote, let me know if you've got a frame you'd wish to share knowledge of :)

See less See more
#3 ·
don't think the 31.7 standover of the troll won't be too much? I have a hard time dis/mounting my 32" standover cannondale, but then again the top tube isn't sloped. Though the 20" and 22" frames of the troll seem to have alot less extreme sloped tubes :s it's hard to buy before you ride

#4 ·
i am just finishing up my own troll build. i have about the same dimensions as you, 6', 32" inseam, not especially gangly or stubby in arms or legs. i got a 20" frame and i'm happy with it, but i think if i didn't have the adjustable stem to play around with, i would have gone with an 18". you could probably swing either size

#6 ·
generally, i think so

in my case, it lets me sit a little more upright at the cost of stretching out forward
i am going touring with mine in the fall so i want long-days-riding comfort most of all.

no pics yet, but ill post some as soon as its done, still in the beta version, working out the kinks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.