Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

First bike. First Ride. First Fall.

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  cryion 
#1 ·
Got my first bike finally. A 2010 Focus Black Forest:

I have a friend that's pretty experienced and he took me to a local trail. It's just a ~6mi trail, but I only ended up making it about 2.5mi. I'm more out of shape than I thought.

Pretty early in the ride I took a spill. I was rounding a turn and had my pedal down on the side I was turning into (an obvious rookie mistake that I'll not make again), and it hit a root and I flew off the bike onto a rock on my knee. It was pretty painful. I got back on and went the other 2 miles and the pain went away, though I think it was because all I could do was try to keep breathing. Once I stopped and took a break I realized that my knee hurt and was stiff.

So here I am, wanting to ride, but I can barely straighten my knee. Hoping to be mobile enough to be able to ride this Sunday. I think I'm hooked.

Also, I'll be investing in knee pads. About to go ahead and pull the trigger on some 661 Kyle Straits.

Bike specs:

Frame
• Focus Black Hills zero stack aluminum alloy
• Hydroformed tubes
• Rock Shox Recon Race RL fork, 100mm travel with remote lockout
Components
• Shimano XT rear derailleur
• Shimano SLX front derailleur
• Shimano SLX rapid fire shifter, 3x9
• Shimano M542 crankset with external bottom bracket
• Shimano cassette 11-34t
• Shimano chain
• Tektro Auriga pro hydraulic disc brakes (180mm front rotor, 160mm rear rotor)
• Concept sl stem, seatpost
• Concept extreme flat handlebar
Wheels
• Schwalbe Nobby Nic tires
• Rodi D 540 disc rims
• Concept SL disc hubs

See less See more
#4 ·
I had a similar experience.

Went out with a few buddies who are more experienced ( I rode some in high school, but that was 9 years ago)

Was going down a decently steep/rocky part of the trail, which they were kind enough to warn me about and suggested I may try walking it down til I got used to it. But of course I didn't listen, I mean I'm *me* and can do it right?

About half way down the incline I just lost it, hit a rock pretty hard with my knee and then roughed up my back and arms pretty good in a tumble that had to look hilarious ( I'm 6'1, 190 lbs). Then walked the 2 miles back with my new taco'd wheel. :madman:

Took me 2 weeks to walk normal and it is still 'healing'. Make sure you heal up before you go at it too hard again, or you'll just end up hurting again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.