Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Failure on Trail 8...

3K views 55 replies 32 participants last post by  tls36 
#1 ·
So I decided I was going to conquer that sharp right, triple step down, tight left section on Trail 8 south of 40th St. Figured instead of heading up the backside like I normally would I'd go straight up it and try the technical climb. Admittedly, it's not as technical as National or many others, maybe even Irregular as I've never climbed that one, but it's uphill for quite a while with plenty of obstacles for a sissy with no legs like me.

Loads of FAIL with a handful of good crashes.

No damage to me but when I got back home and was trying to adjust my rear derailer (why can't I ever remember how to spell that?) back into shifting position after the abuse I noticed a crack in my shifter from one of the rock hits.

So, my pain & frustration for your pleasure:

Trail 8 Fails from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

#3 ·
big0mike said:
So I decided I was going to conquer that sharp right, triple step down, tight left section on Trail 8 south of 40th St. Figured instead of heading up the backside like I normally would I'd go straight up it and try the technical climb. Admittedly, it's not as technical as National or many others, maybe even Irregular as I've never climbed that one, but it's uphill for quite a while with plenty of obstacles for a sissy with no legs like me.

Loads of FAIL with a handful of good crashes.

No damage to me but when I got back home and was trying to adjust my rear derailer (why can't I ever remember how to spell that?) back into shifting position after the abuse I noticed a crack in my shifter from one of the rock hits.

So, my pain & frustration for your pleasure:

Trail 8 Fails from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.
I'll give you this, you have way more heart than I do. I probably give up after try two.

I just did that climb for the first time in about 4 years Monday. It's definitely a challenge. I think I pretty much walked most of it after the section you sessioned. I didn't come back that way; I went up to AW house.

I LOVE the fact you don't have an internal mute button!!!!!

#5 ·
Great video, I feel like I am watching Survivorman :)

Anyway, If I may offer some suggestions.

1. Your "fluke" was not a fluke, you chose the best line.
2. The right line draws you in because it makes you believe you will have more room to turn after the drop, you have those few rocks that hook your wheels, so avoid this line.
3. Try entering the section to the left, and stay left. It is the smoothest line.
4. After entering to the left, you will see a small channel that will draw you to the rock on the left of the ledge - this is where you want to be.
5. Keep your speed down, crawl as much as possible, should be pretty easy as it is "smooth"
6. Roll your front tire slowly over the rock drop.
7. As your front wheel rolls over, grab you front brakes and keep pressure on your pedals, this will help you maintain balance
8. Turn your front wheel left
9. Release your brake and roll through

As much fun as that was to watch, your entry speed was way too high. Try to approach it as a series of motions. Convince yourself you need to slowly roll, balance, turn, release. Try not to do it all in one motion, makes for great videos, but frustrated egos and or broken wrists. :)

Switchbacks are kind of my thing, but they do take a lot of practice, and often the line that least seems feasible is the best. A great way to practice is sit in your saddle, and try to do circles in your driveway, as tight as you can. Not only will this help you work on your counterbalancing, but you learn how to use your brake and pedals to maintain balance. I have gotten to the point that I can create a circle with my rear tire that is about 4-5" in diameter.

#7 ·
I've cleaned that section in the past and need to revisit it- awesome video! Another thing I noticed (and this is just watching a few minutes of video- so I could be a little wrong) is that your rebound on the fork is too fast. With the down slope and your body weight on the front, your fork should ride at least a 1/4 way into the travel. This will sharpen the steering a bit and make it easier to clear. I need to hook up with some of you guys out there now that I am somewhat in shape and won't throw up after every hard climb.

#10 ·
dh'n az said:
Nice video, I enjoyed watching it. On that section starting at 6:05, I like to take the line in the attached photo, unless I'm on my hardtail, then I go around.
Hhmmm, I was going to make a snarky comment that the the line looks further to the left of the one he took. I've only been on that trail a couple time, so wasn't even sure that was a line. I'll have to look at that next time I try it.

Is the climb coming from south to north doable? From the descent, that looks like the smoother trail.

#16 ·
skinny-tire said:
Hhmmm, I was going to make a snarky comment that the the line looks further to the left of the one he took. I've only been on that trail a couple time, so wasn't even sure that was a line. I'll have to look at that next time I try it.

Is the climb coming from south to north doable? From the descent, that looks like the smoother trail.
It all doable given the right lung and leg.;)

That highlighted line is the preferred way. It's also one of the numerous targets that the Rock Fairies at PMP keep watch over. Just noticed the other day of some rock placement on Lower Cheese...thank you Rock Fairies!!!!

#19 ·
My favorite part starts at 8:16. LOL, Great stuff, Your devoted. try lowering your seat or getting a set of higher handle bars or something or maybe ride back further on the seat on that spot. you should be able you stop just befor the edge and pop your wheel up nd shove it to the left and drop, you might have to lock it out for that spot as well. Alot of things can make a diference.. Still awesome to watch.

#23 ·
dirthead said:
Thanks for the video! That was one of the best I've seen in a long time.
I don't know about one of the best but I had a good time riding and making the video. Had the Mrs almost on the floor with the slow motion offs :)

skinny-tire said:
I'll give you this, you have way more heart than I do. I probably give up after try two.
Normally, I would too but my whole reason for riding that morning was to tackle this pig.

skinny-tire said:
I LOVE the fact you don't have an internal mute button!!!!!
Given that you berated another video thread of mine because I didn't label it NSfW I'll assume you're being facetious.

But, no I don't really have a mute button. Especially when I'm launching off the bike :)

cstem said:
Another thing I noticed (and this is just watching a few minutes of video- so I could be a little wrong) is that your rebound on the fork is too fast. With the down slope and your body weight on the front, your fork should ride at least a 1/4 way into the travel. This will sharpen the steering a bit and make it easier to clear.
That's a possibility. This is the first REAL bike I've owned and don't really know where to set things at except the sag.

dh'n az said:
Nice video, I enjoyed watching it. On that section starting at 6:05, I like to take the line in the attached photo...
Yeah, that's the line Barry said he takes on his 6" bike. It's a pretty good sized rock to get on but it looks pretty easy to roll over. I'm committed to making the trail as it stands before I give in and take the easy line :)

skinny-tire said:
I've never ridden from the saddle south towards AW House, always up. I can make it about 3/4 of the way before gassing. But from the climb up to the saddle I'd say down that opposite direction would be a LOT of fun. More flowy than chunky but it'd be like riding a chute most of the way if memory serves me well.

Grave9 said:
MIKE!!!!!!! Great Video, as always!!!! Great tries on the turn, NOW turn around and climb it!!!!!!!! :)..............Drew
Sheeeiiiiit! When I can go down it I'll worry about trying to climb it. You saw me fail miserably on most of the National obstacles on the way up. If I had a strong suit on the bike, which I don't unless you count failing, it certainly isn't technical climbing :)

Silver_Slug said:
Nice vid Mike. Hope you get some time to ride in St. George. Zen and Barrels have some great sessioning spots.
Yeah, I hope get some time to ride as well :thumbsup:

tpvet73 said:
I enjoyed watching it, but I especially liked listening to you talk to yourself.:thumbsup:
ImaFred said:
x2....f@&&ot... Lmao
theGreenEGg said:
Great video. I enjoyed all your commentary.
niche77 said:
Mike - Always entertaining watching/ listening to you curse your head off. We've all been there!
:)

LJYJ said:
Your devoted. try lowering your seat or getting a set of higher handle bars or something or maybe ride back further on the seat on that spot. you should be able you stop just befor the edge and pop your wheel up nd shove it to the left and drop, you might have to lock it out for that spot as well. Alot of things can make a diference.. Still awesome to watch.
I have noticed after watching the videos I've made that I always think I'm going faster than I am. Like at the very top and that first little left/right/left: I'm just CRAWLING through there but I felt like I was moving considerably faster.

And I always seem like I'm really leaning back behind the seat when I'm not that far back. But, trackstanding and hopping my front tire around is well beyond me currently...

ajmelin said:
Funny stuff! Keep trying, and definitely keep the videos coming.
Hey, you changed avatar. No wonder I haven't noticed you around here... :D

StabMasta said:
My kind of rider! I find myself cursing like a drunk sailor at random obstacles (and hikers) too. Curious, what kind of camera are you using? Awesome footage!
It's a HD Hero GoPro. Love it. Best Christmas present EVER! Need to get another so I can keep the onboard footage while still getting offboard footage :)

tiSS'er said:
If I may offer some suggestions.

1. Your "fluke" was not a fluke, you chose the best line.
2. The right line draws you in because it makes you believe you will have more room to turn after the drop, you have those few rocks that hook your wheels, so avoid this line.
3. Try entering the section to the left, and stay left. It is the smoothest line.
4. After entering to the left, you will see a small channel that will draw you to the rock on the left of the ledge - this is where you want to be.
5. Keep your speed down, crawl as much as possible, should be pretty easy as it is "smooth"
6. Roll your front tire slowly over the rock drop.
7. As your front wheel rolls over, grab you front brakes and keep pressure on your pedals, this will help you maintain balance
8. Turn your front wheel left
9. Release your brake and roll through

As much fun as that was to watch, your entry speed was way too high. Try to approach it as a series of motions. Convince yourself you need to slowly roll, balance, turn, release. Try not to do it all in one motion, makes for great videos, but frustrated egos and or broken wrists. :)
Good tips. I'll comment on them from my perspective as you've obviously done it and I really haven't...

1. I wouldn't say I "chose" the best line. It just happened to get in my way :)
2. That right line did have me believing it would be easier to turn at the bottom. It's harder to hit because you gotta stay wide left as you make the initial right in order to hit it. I don't recall any rocks to hook your tire but the two times I went OtB I was on that line trying to turn and the wheel appeared to simply loose traction completely on the slick, dusty step.
3 & 4. The left line is the first one I tried. It looks easier because you don't have to turn as sharp to get into it. But, it requires a much tighter turn at the step which is NOT my strength. That's partially why I thought the right line might be better: 'cause it wasn't the obvious choice.
5. I wasn't trying to bomb it but keep enough speed to roll over the rocks in the path. As you can see from several of the attempts I simply stopped right in the middle. I was going too slow to get over the rocks. I imagine knowing how to pump your bike/suspension to keep momentum would come in handy here?
6 - 9. I felt like I was crawling through it already but as evidenced from the video my tire would hit the bottom of the step and I'd immediately be at the rock wall in front with little time or space to turn, if I had the skill to do it.

From what I recollect the fluke of me making it I started out wanting to hit the right like to get a shorter turn at the bottom. I think I blew that line and wound up coming down just to the right of the left channel (I know I wasn't in it) but not on the top rock, the one right in the middle. From there I started to make the turn and I don't honestly remember much else of the carnage down. I was probably amazed that I hadn't fallen over yet that I just rode it out. I had enough momentum to even keep me moving after grinding the hell outta my bashguard on that step. After watching the video I thought that as close as I was to those rocks on the left at the top of the step I'm lucky I didn't bang my pedals or crank into it knocking me completely off balance.

Trying to do it in as a "series of motions" seems counterintuitive to me. As with most anything I try to look at the overall situation and think of the way to handle it in a fluid, continuous movement. I understand you gotta break it down into the pieces necessary to handle the obstacle but I'll admit I'm more prone to looking at the big picture and not trying to tackle the little pieces.

tiSS'er said:
Switchbacks are kind of my thing, but they do take a lot of practice, and often the line that least seems feasible is the best. A great way to practice is sit in your saddle, and try to do circles in your driveway, as tight as you can. Not only will this help you work on your counterbalancing, but you learn how to use your brake and pedals to maintain balance. I have gotten to the point that I can create a circle with my rear tire that is about 4-5" in diameter.
I actually have started practicing like that in my driveway every couple mornings before work. I work on my trackstanding, trackleaning/falling as I like to call it, as well as doing tight circles. I've also been trying to work on being in a pseudo-trackstand and lifting my front wheel into a new position as though I'm trying to turn in very tight quarters. Can't do that for sheeit.

I do know one thing I need to work on is to stop worrying about my line and just let my 6" soak up the trail. Obviously, for the main obstacle you gotta think about the line but I noticed as I was leaving that spot and heading back to 40th St I'd inadvertently (sometimes on purpose) lose my line or pick the wrong line. And I'd be surprised as I bounced on through without a care in the world. This Pitch is SUCH a step up from my 3" GF HT and I gotta let it do what it's designed to do.

Thanks for the tips and thanks to everyone else for watching :)

#25 ·
Your pain & frustration was pleasurable to watch + the comments!
LMAO! :D
I too, cuss like a drunken sailor & fall down alot.

And yet another sacrifice to the mountain; may your shifter R.I.P

Great video! :thumbsup:
Loved the slo-mo segments, I thought you were going to eat the camera a few times!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.