Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Are my rim brakes compatible with a wheel/tire SIZE change?

991 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  shiggy 
#1 ·
So, im just getting into biking and im already addicted. ive only been riding a couple months but ive already put probably 120 miles on my '05 GF zebrano S (mostly on local semi-rugged N Florida trails, with the occasional jumps). Everything on it is factory and i know that im ready for new tires and wheels (currently 700c----which i think is like 27.5" or something haha), so i figured i go ahead and buy wheels that i can eventually mount disc brakes too. the problem is i can only afford the wheels/tires at the moment so im trying to figure out if my rim brakes will still fit with 26" wheels, which seem to be the consensus on available/affordable wheel size. The link to the specs is here
http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/169
I bought the bike from a friend who has only put about 40 miles on it in 6 years. Also, any suggestions for a new rider would be most appreciated!

#3 ·
BuildingBridgesToRideOver said:
So, im just getting into biking and im already addicted. ive only been riding a couple months but ive already put probably 120 miles on my '05 GF zebrano S (mostly on local semi-rugged N Florida trails, with the occasional jumps). Everything on it is factory and i know that im ready for new tires and wheels (currently 700c----which i think is like 27.5" or something haha), so i figured i go ahead and buy wheels that i can eventually mount disc brakes too. the problem is i can only afford the wheels/tires at the moment so im trying to figure out if my rim brakes will still fit with 26" wheels, which seem to be the consensus on available/affordable wheel size. The link to the specs is here
http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/169
I bought the bike from a friend who has only put about 40 miles on it in 6 years. Also, any suggestions for a new rider would be most appreciated!
No. You can not use 26" wheels in a 700C frame with rim brakes. Not at all.

Not an appropriate bike for off road riding, either.

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.