Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

beginner choices

5K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  tjrides 
#1 ·
links?

#2 ·
I am new to the mountain biking world, but very excited to get started, i have narrowed my first bike choices to 2 and i am hoping some of you might have some suggestions and input to help me narrow that to one

i am looking at a GT Avalanche 2.0 http://www.gtbicycles.com/bikes/mountain/endurance/2011-avalanche-2-0-disc-gtw-persian-blueor a KHS Alite 350 http://www.khsbicycles.com/04_alite_350l_11.htm

they are both in my price range and i like the look of them. the purple of the Alite pushes it a ahead of the GT a little since it is my favorite color, but i don't want to choose just on the color unless i am sure the bikes are otherwise comparable.

i don't know enough about the individual parts to know if one is way better than another in their stock builds. so hopefully someone here can chime in and help lead me in the right direction

#3 ·
To be honest, I've never even heard of the Altus or Acera line for Shimano, and I don't see them listed on their site either. Someone who knows more about it than myself can correct me, but I believe the GT looks to have better components. (As it should, since it's $200 more)

#6 ·
Altus/Acera are budget components that slot in below Shimano Deore. Usually used on entry level mountain bikes. Nothing wrong with them, except they usually tend to be a little heavier than their more expensive cousins, and limited to 7 or 8 speeds.

#9 ·
Nothing wrong with either of those bikes at that price range. Go for whichever one you can get at a better deal, or the one you 'like' the most. Make sure you take both for a test ride. You'll find they may have different handling characteristics and may like one bike over another. One may also be more comfortable than the other.

#11 ·
they are both $550 since the GT is on sale here at my local store. i am really leaning toward the purple, i figure if i become a real mountain biker there will be upgrades in my future anyway so as long as no one is yelling "OMG don't buy that it will fall apart in 2 days" i think i will just ride them both and decide from a comfort point of view (please please let the purple be more comfy :p )

#14 ·
well some seriously good customer service at a bike shop when my husband bought his last night has swayed me away from the GT (because the shop doesn't carry them), so now i am looking at either the KHS or a Raleigh Eva, again i am down to riding them both to see which is more comfortable, but i have to wait for them to get the KHS in.
now my husband is off for a ride without me, big jerk :p

for those interested he got a Diamondback overdrive 29

#17 ·
well the deciding factor was taking my business to a shop with excellent customer service, i felt that it was important for total newbies to have a local place we felt comfortable going with questions and concerns. since the shop can get me the KHS and not the GT (and lets be honest, i really wanted the purple KHS anyway ) i am going in that direction.

#19 ·
well it all came down to what was available since i wanted to get a bike this weekend, i really just want to start riding and could have spent weeks going back and forth, so after trying out a Giant Revel 1,(ladies version) i fell in love with it, color be damned :) so now i have a bike, i just have to get this old body moving:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.